• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting laws in your state

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Long story short I retire out of the military in a few years. I'm not really interested in moving back to where I grew up so I've been looking at different states to move to when I get out. Three of the most important things to me is hunting regulations, gun laws, and the ability for my wife to continue her work as a CPA. My next job is secured and I can do it from just about anywhere. So those who wouldn't mind posting, I'd like to know the following:

1. Harvest limits
2. Season Dates
3. Hunting Pressure
4. Climate during season
5. Sunday hunting?
6. Gun law highlights, restrictions, etc

I started looking at some states regulations online and my head was spinning with all the rules with zones, special licenses, and what is permitted at certain times. Figured it would be easier to understand asking guys on here. In NC it's pretty simple. Buy a license and you can hunt anywhere in the state. 2 bucks and 4 does. All you need to know really is when and where you are allowed to kill does but it's clearly stated in the digest. I'd stay here if it wasnt 90 degrees in September.

I'm assuming you're asking for deer hunting, so here's what we have for MO:
  • Harvest limits:
  • Season dates:
    • Firearms portion: typically starts the second Saturday in November - lasts for 10 days
    • Archery early season: September 15th till rifle opener (you can use your bow during firearms season but you must use your firearms tag)
    • Archery late season: starts after firearms ends and lasts until mid Janurary
  • Hunting pressure (in my neck of the woods - middle to lower third of the state):
    • Firearms portion: the orange army is EVERYWHERE on public land on the first and second weekends, pressure tapers off in the middle of the week
    • Archery portion: I've never seen a lot of pressure, typically ramps up/drops off the closer you get to the rut
  • Climate:
    • September: 90s
    • October: Anywhere from 80s - 50s
    • November: 60s-30s
    • December: some days 30s, some days 20s, some days mid 60s
    • Janurary: ???
  • Sunday hunting: absolutely.
  • Gun laws: No capacity over 11 rounds with magazine/chamber combined
  • Additional notes:
I'm sure I'm missing plenty, other Missourians feel free to chime in/add to it

Last edited:
I've already told you Michigan's hunting laws and limits, gun laws ain't the worst. If I don't move further north then I'm heading west.

Michigan:

1. Harvest Limits: Our license system is kind of weird but first you have to get a "Base license" that allows you to hunt small game(except ducks because you need a federal stamp). You then buy either 1 deer license or a combo license. The single deer license will allow you to shoot 1 deer buck or doe. The combo license will let you shoot your first deer as a buck or doe. Your second tag can be a doe, but if you shoot two bucks one of them has to have at least 4 points on one side. So for example in 2017 I shot an 8 point during bow season, I used my +4 buck license first and then I had my other deer license for gun season, then I could take a smaller one if need be or a doe(I didn't :disappointed:). The only exception now that we have CWD is they opened up certain counties to reduced price doe licenses or farmers can buy group tags of like 10 tags.

2. Season Date: Simple answer, Oct 1st is the opener for archery(compound included)
November 15th for gun season and I'll fight anyone who tries to change it. Rifle/Shotgun season ends Nov 30th.
Archery re-opens on December 1st and muzzeloader season opens on Dec 7th. Muzzleloader ends on December 14th or 22nd depending how north you are(upper or lower peninsula). Archery closes Jan 1st.

3. Hunting pressure: We have three zones. Zone 3 is the furthest south zone, mostly farmland and VERY heavily pressured on public or private land. It's a circus for gun season, I usually go north. Zone 2 is probably half way up the "mitten" and it's a little bit better. Archery is fairly well pressured but not crazy, gun season is pretty busy. Zone 1 is the upper peninsula and not pressured at all but there's not a lot of deer up there. It's God's country, bring a snow shovel.

4. Climate during season: October is fairly mild maybe 40's/50's during the day, 30/40's the further north you get. Late Oct. is a beautiful time to be in Michigan, the fall colors are stunning. Perfect temps for hunting in my opinion.

Nov. 1st-14th are usually around the 30's/40's, sometimes dipping into the teens early morning. Nov. is usually snowing at some point. Depending on how north you go, the range is from 1"-3"(southern lower peninsula) to 12"+(Upper peninsula) I've hunted some mornings during the gun season and it was single digits. Other times it was a little more mild.
December is cold and snowy, no two ways around it. You're looking at ranges from 20's and 30's to below 0 and 20 below windchill.

5. Sunday hunting? Absolutely, yes. What kind of sick state doesn't allow hunting on Sunday's!?

6. Gun law highlights, restrictions, etc: Pretty loose on gun laws. CCW or CPL you have to take a class that's one day and then register the handgun with the local sheriff. I think if you take the class first you can buy the gun from anywhere. Long guns are pretty lax as well. Pretty sure you can buy from over the counter in any gun store if you're over 21. There are restrictions on hunting with rifles basically below the blue line on this map. 1587422934352.png The vast majority of the state's population is below that line so they don't allow traditional rifles. It's shotgun and muzzleloader. As far as legal rifle calibers below the line, there are several. Any .35 cal or larger straight-walled cartridge case with a minimum of 1.16" and a maximum of 1.8. .357 Maximum, .450 Bushmaster are a couple popular ones. These are effective 200 yard rifles, and no shotgun slug can hold a candle to them for accuracy or range. If you're a duck hunter it's 3 shots max, you have to have a plug.

I will also add that you have to take a hunter safety class before being able to buy a license if you're new to the state or if you're born before a certain date. Test is online and there's a one day field day.

I've lived here all my life and it's honestly one of the best places to be in the outdoors. There's thousands of acres of state land, the U.P is a goldmine for any outdoor enthusiast but the winters are brutal. Tons of fishing, hunting, hiking, and camping. The northern part of the lower peninsula is also very beautiful and has good hunting opportunities on public or private land. It's kind of a good mix of the two parts of the state. The southern part of the state has the most big bucks because of all the agriculture but is also the highest hunting pressure and least amount of state land. In terms of things to do though like going to town, it's a lot better than "up north". Metro Detroit and Grand Rapids are awesome if you like to go out on the town. I live near the capital in Lansing and hunt all the time, there's state land within driving distance of my house. I also have permission to hunt around me as well. It's a great place to grow up and live.
Hopefully this helps your decision and I hope the house hunting goes well!

Might be too far south for your liking, but Tennessee is fantastic.

1. Harvest limits
  • 2 bucks, unlimited does
2. Season Dates
  • 3-day velvet-buck-only season in late August, then normal seasons from late September through about Jan. 10th
3. Hunting Pressure
  • Plenty of hunters, but I've never gotten the sense that TN sees anywhere near the pressure of places like Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, etc.
4. Climate during season
  • Season starts pretty warm (80s-90s), gradually goes down to finish in the 20s-40s in January. Limited outlier days, but that's pretty much it.
5. Sunday hunting?
  • Yes.
  • Tennessee is a very conservative (politics) state, so it's pretty lax gun laws, as you'd expect. Obtaining a concealed carry permit just requires a short class, and it can be purchased for lifetime duration. No unusual limits on magazine sizes or anything like that.

A big bonus you didn't ask about is there's no state income tax, so you keep a good bit more of what your wife will earn here.

Here is the quick version for GA. If you want more details one of us Ga hoodlums can clue ya in.

1. Harvest limits:10 Does 2 Bucks
2. Season Dates: Archery September 14 - January 12th not all days are available for public land so I’d recommend a hunting lease which are pretty easy to join/find
3. Hunting Pressure: Moderate, this a bunch of public and most have hunting leases too so I’ve only run into someone on opening day and a few others at the parking areas. Other than that there is enough space for people to spread out. Those that say it’s over run hunt too close to the truck
4. Climate during season: its Ga.... it hot and sticky until after thanksgivingish. Buy stock in thermacell.
5. Sunday hunting? All day
6. Gun law highlights, restrictions, etc $85 and a background check gets you a CCW assuming you’re not a felon.

last thing to consider and something I’m going to do this year is get the lifetime license. Once you have it it’s good for life, even if you move out of state and military get a discount for it.

Arkansas- The Natural State

1. 6 Deer state wide, some zones are 4.
2 Bucks/4 Doe
2. Bow season starts 3rd Saturday September and goes straight thru the end of February (just over 5 months) 2 separate muzzle loader seasons ( 1 early, 1 late). Rifle season is about 5 weeks long
3. Big state with quite a few hunters, but a lot of unpressured public land. If u are not lazy it’s even better at the walk in only access areas.
4. Early season is still on the hot side but by October definitely cool and comfortable. Sometimes gets below freezing but only in spurts
5. Hunt Sunday’s to your heart’s content
6. Gun laws? It’s the land of rednecks, very very conservative
7. My own plug!!!! If you like outdoors, this is your place! Hunting, fishing, camping, kayaking and canoeing. Mountains and rivers, Delta and farm land. Pines and Hardwoods. Large Lakes and small streams! Bonus: GREAT DUCK HUNTING.
Year round for a sportsman in Arkansas

Arkansas- The Natural State

1. 6 Deer state wide, some zones are 4.
2 Bucks/4 Doe
2. Bow season starts 3rd Saturday September and goes straight thru the end of February (just over 5 months) 2 separate muzzle loader seasons ( 1 early, 1 late). Rifle season is about 5 weeks long
3. Big state with quite a few hunters, but a lot of unpressured public land. If u are not lazy it’s even better at the walk in only access areas.
4. Early season is still on the hot side but by October definitely cool and comfortable. Sometimes gets below freezing but only in spurts
5. Hunt Sunday’s to your heart’s content
6. Gun laws? It’s the land of rednecks, very very conservative
7. My own plug!!!! If you like outdoors, this is your place! Hunting, fishing, camping, kayaking and canoeing. Mountains and rivers, Delta and farm land. Pines and Hardwoods. Large Lakes and small streams! Bonus: GREAT DUCK HUNTING.
Year round for a sportsman in Arkansas
Ah crap! Now I have to figure out how to tell the wife we are moving to Arkansas... haha

New Hampshire

1. Harvest limits - Varies by WMU, in some units you can buy 2 extra doe tags and bow hunters basically get 3 tags. 1 archery tag(any deer) 1 special archery tag (buck only) and a firearm tag. I’ve never really desired to fill more tags then that but if you like to stack them up NH isn’t the best state but we aren’t the worst either.

2. Season Dates - Sep 15 to Dec 15 for archery.

3. Hunting Pressure - during firearm there is a lot. I’m strictly archery so going from memory: muzzle loader opens about Halloween and runs about ten days. Shotgun / rifle goes about Nov 10 through Dec 7. The woods are never the same from the moment muzzle loader hits - lots of pressure.

4. Climate during season - you got some hot days the first week but by late Sep it’s nice and pleasant. 70s and dropping steadily each week. Chilly by mid Oct, Nov and Dec will be cold as hell. 0-30 degrees with a wind chill that will put hair on your chest.

5. Sunday hunting? Our motto is “live free or die” so ya we are free to hunt on the sabbath!

6. Gun law highlights, restrictions, etc - the most populated unit has no riffle allowed. Only shotgun. But other than that the people are an independent yankee type and many of us have a gun for each window :)

things to consider - low pressure on bow season, 1.5 months of bliss! No income tax and no sales tax, a state that lets you keep what you earn - hell ya! Our deer density sucks. NH routinely ranks 3-6 in the nation for lowest bow tag fills by percentage of tags. I love a challenge so I love it. But GOOD hunters can struggle to put eyes on a single buck in a season. Record book bucks are phantoms, but they are out there. If you like freedom and the outdoors especially winter sports give NH a look.

New Hampshire

1. Harvest limits - Varies by WMU, in some units you can buy 2 extra doe tags and bow hunters basically get 3 tags. 1 archery tag(any deer) 1 special archery tag (buck only) and a firearm tag. I’ve never really desired to fill more tags then that but if you like to stack them up NH isn’t the best state but we aren’t the worst either.

2. Season Dates - Sep 15 to Dec 15 for archery.

3. Hunting Pressure - during firearm there is a lot. I’m strictly archery so going from memory: muzzle loader opens about Halloween and runs about ten days. Shotgun / rifle goes about Nov 10 through Dec 7. The woods are never the same from the moment muzzle loader hits - lots of pressure.

4. Climate during season - you got some hot days the first week but by late Sep it’s nice and pleasant. 70s and dropping steadily each week. Chilly by mid Oct, Nov and Dec will be cold as hell. 0-30 degrees with a wind chill that will put hair on your chest.

5. Sunday hunting? Our motto is “live free or die” so ya we are free to hunt on the sabbath!

6. Gun law highlights, restrictions, etc - the most populated unit has no riffle allowed. Only shotgun. But other than that the people are an independent yankee type and many of us have a gun for each window :)

things to consider - low pressure on bow season, 1.5 months of bliss! No income tax and no sales tax, a state that lets you keep what you earn - hell ya! Our deer density sucks. NH routinely ranks 3-6 in the nation for lowest bow tag fills by percentage of tags. I love a challenge so I love it. But GOOD hunters can struggle to put eyes on a single buck in a season. Record book bucks are phantoms, but they are out there. If you like freedom and the outdoors especially winter sports give NH a look.
As a fellow NH Hunter this is pretty spot on. Bow hunting nh is definitely a challenge but very rewarding.

Might be too far south for your liking, but Tennessee is fantastic.

1. Harvest limits
  • 2 bucks, unlimited does
2. Season Dates
  • 3-day velvet-buck-only season in late August, then normal seasons from late September through about Jan. 10th
3. Hunting Pressure
  • Plenty of hunters, but I've never gotten the sense that TN sees anywhere near the pressure of places like Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, etc.
4. Climate during season
  • Season starts pretty warm (80s-90s), gradually goes down to finish in the 20s-40s in January. Limited outlier days, but that's pretty much it.
5. Sunday hunting?
  • Yes.
  • Tennessee is a very conservative (politics) state, so it's pretty lax gun laws, as you'd expect. Obtaining a concealed carry permit just requires a short class, and it can be purchased for lifetime duration. No unusual limits on magazine sizes or anything like that.

A big bonus you didn't ask about is there's no state income tax, so you keep a good bit more of what your wife will earn here.

That all sounds pretty appealing....

As a fellow NH Hunter this is pretty spot on. Bow hunting nh is definitely a challenge but very rewarding.

GOOD hunters struggle to see bucks but Oakridge drops several like a bad habit :)

tell your old man I love my spurs!

We’re happy you like the spurs! Ha I’ve killed a couple but never even seen one of those phantom bucks....YET!

Back