• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting Rig

John

Just wanted to see what everyone was using as a hunting rig. I am in the market for a Suzuki Sidekick because it is 4x4 and the 4cyl gets 20+ MPG. I have owned and ran many XJs in the past but i would like to see/hear everyone's input.

I have a Dodge Ram and two atv’s It depends where I am hunting. The truck of course always goes. If hunting private land I may use an ATV or not. All depends where I am hunting. I see too many guys that use atv’s Indiscriminately and they do not realize the blow the deer out. Not too mention contaminating their body with exhaust.

Last edited:
I drive a 4X4 Toyota Tacoma.... LOVE IT
Once it’s paid off next year, I will be getting a camper topper on it so I can still fit the whole fam inside on road trips while having dry storage in the back. Also, that would let me put a good size kayak across the top.
fe36072c7fbf85c83e61ad1118062fdf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subaru Crosstrek with a hitch on the back for my deer hauler 30 miles to gallon all-wheel drive. Use to have a Ford 150 XLT Lariat 5 speed Overdrive with the cap. Gas prices just got too high. Maybe if I retire I'll go back to a pickup.

I have a 4runner. I like an SUV because I can keep stuff inside the vehicle vs a truck bed. I used to have an FJ. One of the reasons I switched to the 4runner (besides it was easier to get a car seat in...) was that I wanted a trunk door that went up rather than sideways to keep me dry when dressing at the truck in the rain. The biggest and most important mod to my hunting truck though is the cargo carrier for deer mounted on a front hitch. It stays on there from September until February and because it is on the front it never gets in the way when I'm getting ready in the back.
This is what it looks like
92f9597b14ca5a99b9270fdb495bb6f5.jpg

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 or my quad. Polaris 500 sportsman. But drive an accord daily to save gas money.

I'm fortnate enough to a have a dedicated hunting truck. Currently running a 2010 Toyota Tundra. The Big Engine loves gas but it lacks the bells and whistles of modern trucks and that equals no problems for the life of the truck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm fortnate enough to a have a dedicated hunting truck. Currently running a 2010 Toyota Tundra. The Big Engine loves gas but it lacks the bells and whistles of modern trucks and that equals no problems for the life of the truck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I loved my tundra so much! Other than fuel mileage it was the best vehicle I have ever had. So nice for out of state hunting trips.

I had to sell it to pay for lost wages due to knee surgery... I miss that truck a lot.

d512964ed4bbd0bbedded1f0aaa33254.jpg

I have been weighing my options for my next vehicle and it’s hard for me to choose anything affordable after having been spoiled by that truck.

Sad to say but it might be back to a Subaru if my ice shanty fits inside.

Last edited:
Ha. @BCHunter needs to respond to this thread!

Personally I have a 02 Silverado that I rolled a 6 years ago. A friend help me beat the roof back out and straighten out the doors so she still drives. Has some extra air noise around the door seals now .. But it sure doesn't mind going through the briars. It is actually nice to have something that you don't need to worry about roughing up. That truck has taken a lot of abuse but keeps running.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ha. @BCHunter needs to respond to this thread!

Personally I have a 02 Silverado that I rolled a 6 years ago. A friend help me beat the roof back out and straighten out the doors so she still drives. Has some extra air noise around the door seals now .. But it sure doesn't mind going through the briars. It is actually nice to have something that you don't need to worry about roughing up. That truck has taken a lot of abuse but keeps running.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Lol, my front wheel drive 5 speed manual Pontiac vibe gets the job done:) I keep winter tires on year round cuz it rips up the two tracks better! My wife has said I can get a truck if I want, but I'm 100% Dutch.
5744a07894830e9139cb4069e9499be2.jpg
c27700a149fad34610fb31aecbfeee98.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I have a 4runner. I like an SUV because I can keep stuff inside the vehicle vs a truck bed. I used to have an FJ. One of the reasons I switched to the 4runner (besides it was easier to get a car seat in...) was that I wanted a trunk door that went up rather than sideways to keep me dry when dressing at the truck in the rain. The biggest and most important mod to my hunting truck though is the cargo carrier for deer mounted on a front hitch. It stays on there from September until February and because it is on the front it never gets in the way when I'm getting ready in the back.
This is what it looks like
92f9597b14ca5a99b9270fdb495bb6f5.jpg
I might have to try this out for my 4runner, what did you have to do? Put a hitch on the front?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back