• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting solely for food

If I could only hunt for food, I’m gonna whack like 10 deer and stick em in the freezer. Then I’m gonna drive to texas and whack like 8 hogs and freeze them. Then I’m gonna grind and mix the meat half and half and have delicious ground meat for most of the year. I’ll still have a good variety of whole cuts from both animals too. I think if I wasn’t picky 10 deer with a bow would be pretty easy. Especially in missouri where you can buy unlimited doe tags.

if it’s the end of our civilized society I’d probably kill a big game animal about once a month during the winter months where you could pretty much leave the meat hanging in a cool place and it would be pretty safe, or smoke some. In the summer I’d rely on killing small game that we can eat before it spoils or fishing. We like to garden so we’d eat mostly veggies in the summer and mostly meat in the winter.

I can tell you I’d be missing some kid activities for sure. I’d be hunting every weekend and probably a bit during the week too. I’d also be harvesting more creatures such as ground squirrels, rabbits, heck prolly even yote stew. And I’d also be braving colder temps and windier days. I’d also be using a firearm, if I’m filling bellies there’s less room for error. I’d also be hunting year round; I’m fortunate in that one parcel I hunt has a kill permit

I can tell you I’d be missing some kid activities for sure. I’d be hunting every weekend and probably a bit during the week too. I’d also be harvesting more creatures such as ground squirrels, rabbits, heck prolly even yote stew. And I’d also be braving colder temps and windier days. I’d also be using a firearm, if I’m filling bellies there’s less room for error. I’d also be hunting year round; I’m fortunate in that one parcel I hunt has a kill permit
Don’t eat coyote.

And don’t ask me how I know you shouldn’t eat coyote…..

@Red Beard great question! This is east, same as I do now. Rarely will I pass on a deer. We eat a lot of it and my wife understands what it takes for that to happen. Well most days lol

I would however spend more days squirrel hunting. As well as an annual trip to CO for Elk. That one has always been harder to ask permission for now that kids are in the mix. I’ll be back at it annually again after this season of life passes

I had conversation with my Pap as a kid that stuck with me. I told if some type of apocalyptic event happened I would survive because I can hunt trap and fish and if that is all I had to do and not work I could get plenty of food to survive. His response was simple… Everyone else is going to be doing the same thing, how much do you think will be left over for you?

I told him if I died of starvation in that situation, that means everyone else has been dead for weeks.

It always has me thinking of how to obtain food when and if everyone else has the same idea and in the same situation.

Hunting for food would be tough if everyone was harvesting game to survive, fishing would yeild more if you know what you are doing, trapping will get you food even while you sleep, a garden and fruit trees can fill a pantry….

One thing I do know how would my hunting tactics change if it was my only food source, I would be going more often than I do now!

In a deeper thought. If I can't go to the grocery store there is a lot of people in the same spot as me. Also means there is limited raw goods to be had for everyone. Means there is lots of other things that need to be done. So wasting time and energy hunting may not be time well spent. Unless there is plenty of animals. Seems man moved towards farming as time progressed. Not gathering and hunting. So pigs, cows, or sheep may be the long term answer. Save my bullets for thieves and robbers. Hunt secondary. Firewood, canning, and storing would consume much of the late summer.
Pretty over whelming to think about actually. I might have an idea about how to do most of it. But at what proportions? How many pigs do I need to keep? How much food do they need for the winter? Need chickens. What do I collect to feed them thru the winter? Predators will be an issues. So need to keep them at bay. I can't run a farm big enough on my property. So where can I go?

Back