• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting Tips - What to do before and after a shot.

DanielB89

The joy of going hunting was passed down to me from my family, but not everyone is that lucky. Even though the passion for hunting and some knowledge was passed down there were several things I had to learn and am still learning on my own. I also think sometimes as hunters we can be very critical to others choices assuming they're in the same place we are knowledge and experience wise. So i'd like to make a thread that allows us to learn from each other. That is the heart of this forum, right?

So I ask you what are some thoughts, tips, processes that have helped you become more successful after deciding to take a shot at an animal? I think it could be beneficial to separate this into 3 separate parts: Before, during, after.

Before: “Buck! Big buck coming! Big buck right there!”
During: “Fumble with camera....frantically search for grunt call. MEHHHH!!!! Smoked that joker! Shake uncontrollably...Did you see that son? Did you see that? Smoked him!”
After: Thank 27 sponsors who you couldn’t have done it without...take selfies and make #’s.

That’s the tv version.

My version:

Before: “Oh...big deer!” Okay don’t move or do anything stupid. Pick a spot dummy and make a good shot.”

During: Wait until he/she’s vision is blocked or quartering away, draw, anchor, aim, execute. Wait at least 15-minutes before getting down, longer if I make a subpar shot.

After: Straight to the place where I shot it regardless if I watched it go down or not. Inspect the arrow and follow the blood, even if I watched it go down. Blood can teach you a lot. Have arrow nocked or gun reloaded and ready. Walk up and nudge deer, hopefully it’s dead. Thank God and the deer for a successful hunt. Call my hunting partner to bring the truck (private land) and transport whole deer to a secluded part of the part where deer don’t transit and gut him/her. I don’t leave gut piles randomly in the woods.

Last edited:
Before
Before I take a shot I try to pay attention to two things: 1)range of animal and 2)body angle.

During
When I pull the trigger I do my best to get a location of entry with my bow or do my best to remember exactly where I had the crosshairs when I shot.

After
I do my best to pay attention to how the deer reacts to the shot and which direction it ran. In an effort to do this better I always do two separate things. 1) I use my compass to get a bearing I saw the deer heading. 2) I watch the deer as long as I can and then broadcast a point on my GPS in that direction.

After watching the deer run as far as I could and them broadcast a point on my GPS, I then look back to the location of shot. Depending on the terrain I am hunting is what determines what I pick as my reference point.
For example, if i'm hunting a place with little to no vegetation on the ground I will pick a small bush, base of tree, or anything else that stands out. It's so important to pick out something that isn't subjective to the angle you're looking. Some things that stand out in a tree stand look completely normal while on the ground.
If I am hunting somewhere where the ground is thick with palmettos or briars, etc. I will find multiple reference points with the first one being in a tree close to shot location and then one closer to the ground. I hunt one particular piece of land that I have had to climb back up the tree multiple times to find the shot location in these areas. With palmettos over head height, you have to have a reference point that is high in the air.

Before- Get nervous. Move in excess way to much. Put deer on alert.

During- deer is on edge, looks like he is ready to run. Going to smell me or catch me moving. Make rushed bad shot or none.

After: search around the woods hoping to find blood or dead animal. Only to get discouraged about hunting.

Patience, patience, patience. I still have a hard time with it. Tell my self every time I go out. But seems like this happens way to much to me.

Before- Get nervous. Move in excess way to much. Put deer on alert.

During- deer is on edge, looks like he is ready to run. Going to smell me or catch me moving. Make rushed bad shot or none.

After: search around the woods hoping to find blood or dead animal. Only to get discouraged about hunting.

Patience, patience, patience. I still have a hard time with it. Tell my self every time I go out. But seems like this happens way to much to me.
I understand completely. Some people like to have a "clear mind" when hunting and try not to over think it before a shot. I find that if I am not thinking, I am on autopilot and much worse things happen when i'm letting my subconscious fly the plane..

Things happen quick and you can't always help what you do in the heat of the moment so you will make some bad shots. You can ALWAYS take a deep breath, calm down and make educated decisions after the shot to give yourself the best odds of recovery.
I agree. So help others learn from your process.. give us some detail..

Before and during seems pretty adequately covered.

This is all archery. I think with a rifle you can be more aggressive with most shot placements simply because of the much greater ease of getting a follow up shot.

Immediately after: note visual impact site, sound, animal reaction

Next: Watch and listen, note where the animal travels and take landmarks. Often blood doesn't show up right at impact, need to have a good idea where to look.

Now there is a diverging decision tree based on the above inputs.

Watched deer fall and die - go get him

Suspect good shot, didn't confirm death - wait 30 minutes to an hour (even if that means sitting in your tree in the dark). Calm yourself down. Beat those landmarks into your head. After passage of time, QUEITLY get down and inspect arrow. It will always be your best clue if you can find it which is why I so highly value passthroughs even more than having two leaking holes..

Still suspect good shot (arrow indicates lung blood) --> slowly start tracking

Unsure/marginal shot --> back out, give it at least 2-8 hours (this scenario is where I take weather into account) then take up trail QUIETLY. Don't track with an army. One tracker, one marker, that's it.

Known gut shot --> Wait 8 hours minimum. 12 is better. Even if it's 80 degrees. Even if torrential rain is coming. Even if you heard yotes. Your chances of losing that deer by bumping it out of its first bed go up about 1,000% with a gut shot. Let it die, it sucks, it blows, it's the worst thing in hunting, but it takes time. Gut shot deer if not bumped rarely go 100 yards. That's as easy grid search. After that first bump they often go a mile. That's needle in a haystack.

Muscle shots (shoulder, backstrap)---> more often than not the deer is going to survive. I'll track a highly suspected muscle shot right away because my only chance is to catch up to that deer and get another arrow in him. More often than not it's a flesh wound and they survive just fine.

Last edited:
What DanielB89 said. Plus I work to focus on an aim point on the deer, not the antlers. And I work hard to be patient. If the shot develops, okay. If it doesn't, I dont force it.

Before
  • Get a good look at the animal (antlers, body size, whatever your factors are), and once I decide it's a shooter, I stop looking at the antlers and shift my focus to my point of aim.
  • Glance around and assess the shot opportunity--is the animal on track to walk through a shooting lane or in to a manageable distance? If so, where? Are there other animals around that I need to pay attention to when moving/drawing? What range will the shot be?
  • Move into position to take the shot I expect the animal to present, and draw when I feel the time is right.
During
  • Now I'm no longer "hunting"; I'm shooting. My whole focus turns to the shot itself, just as though I am on the range practicing.
  • (All of this is for bowhunting)--Get to my anchor point and settle in. Look at my sight bubble to make sure it's level. Remind myself what pin I should use for the estimated yardage of the shot. Glance down to make sure my sleeve and all branches are clear of the bow/string path.
  • Evaluate the deer's body angle, including the steepness of my shot, and pick a silver-dollar-sized spot that I want to hit. (This changes as the deer moves, but it's important to have a small spot to focus on--I'm a big believer in "aim small, miss small.")
  • Move my finger from behind the trigger to the front and rest it lightly.
  • Breathe in deeply, exhale fully. Pull through the shot and try to watch the arrow hit through my sight housing (I used to miss deer because I'd preemptively drop my bow arm so I could see where the arrow hit, so this helps me stay steady through the shot).

After
  • Watch the shot and listen to the sound--commit those to memory.
  • Closely watch where the deer runs, noting which trees/bushes it ran past, and what direction it's headed.
  • Listen carefully--there's time for whooping and hollering later--to hear where and how the deer is running.
  • Wait in the tree for 15 minutes if I'm sure it's a perfect shot, an hour if I'm unsure, and a good while longer if I'm sure it's a bad shot.
  • Check the arrow/bullet impact site for blood and other clues. Evaluate from there.
  • Call your hunting buddy/buddies and make a plan for recovery and processing.
This is my ideal thinking, not always what I do. I find that the first animal of the year that I shoot (at) usually doesn't get the benefit of that clearheaded process, and the last animal of the year does--just the way it goes, I guess. Best advice I can give: Shoot a doe, coyote, squirrel, or whatever "lesser" game animal you choose early in the year so you can remember what it feels like to get it right (or be reminded of what to avoid if you get it wrong); that way, when the buck of your dreams comes by in the rut, you're already dialed in and ready for him. Good luck!!

I think Eberhart started a really good thread on here about recovering deer. I don't remember disagreeing with him on anything.

As far as me adding value to the thread, my best tips are:

Once you decide to take the animal, from that instant until you pull the trigger, it's just a target. All that should be on your mind is putting a projectile wherever you believe is the magic location. I like the shoulder crease generally because at most angles an arrow that enters there will hit goodies, and it's something easy to see and aim at.

You'll need to mount your weapon or come to draw. Make the necessary movements either very cautiously when the animal is moving or swiftly but smoothly if you cannot see its eyes. Deer have a wide field of vision and if you can see eyeball they can probably see you. If there's a tree trunk between that eyeball and you, congratulations on your temporary invisibility cloak. Use it or loose it. Get as on target as you can as quickly as you can, and stay that way until you loose the projectile.

Once the animal is in range and in position, focus the aim point on that magic spot (crease for me usually) as tightly as possible and focus on nothing but the trigger pull or release. It needs to happen fairly quickly because deer move, but not jerkily.

Once you've shot, the only thing that matters is recovery. I like to have 3 pieces of info available to work with before I climb down:

1. Where the deer was the instant you pulled the trigger. I generally make a quick mental note of this. "OK. Roughly 30 yards out, right to the side of that dead tree." I will circle back mentally and get a compass bearing to the location ONLY after I have the next two pieces of info.

2. Where you lost sight of the deer. If you're lucky, you'll see it fall. If not, you need a compass bearing to the last known location of that deer, and it needs to be as precise as possible.

3. If applicable, a compass bearing to the last place you heard the deer. A lot of times I can hear them running a lot further out than I can maintain visual content. If you're lucky, you'll hear them crash and flop.

If you were watching the deer intently to get this info, chances are you might have picked up on some additional information. Did the deer appear to run smoothly or were they struggling and stumbling and plowing through obstacles as opposed to jumping or swerving? Did you see it bleeding? Was it just a dark spot or streak or could you see blood spraying? Little details like that are helpful, but the most important thing is knowing where they were when you shot and where you lost contact.

Some people are big on trying to watch an arrow. I am not. In low light it can be hard. With a crossbow it can be impossible. And I have found that in my eagerness to try and watch an arrow, I often lose my anchor point or cheek weld and mess up shots. But by all means, if you can get an idea of where you hit, that's invaluable. I generally assume that if I took a shot I felt confident in at a calm deer, I hit close to where I was aiming.

Before you climb down take a minute to text your buddies, your wife, your dad, or whoever you wanna share with. If the deer is in sight keep an eye on it! Dead deer can grow legs. If you can't keep an ear peeled. Drink some water. Munch a granola bar. Calm down before you start descending. Its safer and it gives a well shot deer time to die. Climb down and get your gear together. Take your time.

Quietly go to where you shot the deer. If applicable, search for an arrow. Try and find first blood. This can be fairly difficult. Usually it will just be a spray. If you locate an arrow there are better articles and posts on how to read it. If you can't find the arrow or first blood, walk towards the last known location of the deer while looking for blood. Sometimes they take a while to start bleeding.

If you suspect you gut shot a deer (hunched back, stinky arrow, clear fluids or vegetation/corn/chunky blood) give it as much time as you can stand before you go further. Dead deer ain't gonna get any less dead overnight, but a wounded one can quickly vanish on you if you push him.

On the blood trail, don't just look for blood on the ground. It can show on vegetation and tree trunks too. Deer will often kick up dirt and leaves when they are wounded. Keep a compass in your hand and if possible leave a GPS breadcrumb trail. This can help you tremendously if you lose the trail. Often you will think a deer is running a straight line, but when you glance at the phone or GPS you will notice an obvious curve. Keep an eye out up ahead of you as much as you can, and keep your weapon handy.

If you lose the trail, cannot recover it, and are sure you hit the deer, it's time to "grid search." Hope you have a compass and a GPS. I have only had to grid search one deer. I drew off a 300 yard square on huntstand, and proceeded to move through it like I was plowing a field with about 30-50 yards between the rows. Depending on the situation you may want to make your grid bigger or smaller. You want to cover the terrain in such a way that you are seeing every inch of it. I picked back up on blood about 100 yards away from last know blood and found the deer within 20-30 yards of that.

If a grid search doesn't work, and you cannot get a dog (a luxury i don't personally have access to either) then there's one thing left to do. Give it 48 hours and come back to look for buzzards. I've found one deer this way.

If you still can't find the deer, congratulations. You've gone through an important initiation ritual. Go home, drink a beer, get some rest, and go hunting again as soon as you can. Stuff happens, and anyone who says they've never lost a deer is either lying or hasn't killed many critters. Don't beat yourself up over it. Every predator loses prey, whether it's a house cat or a great white shark. You're not a bad person. If you followed all the above steps, you're not lazy, ignorant, or unskilled. You tried your best and failed. It sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

In 10 seconds: Start slowly but deliberately for the bow and the hookup. Estimate yardage based on known objects. Start draw, slow and deliberate. Find deer and sight picture with both eyes open. Pick you shooting lane or hole. Decide whether to stop it or shoot walking. Close 1 eye and fine tune aim. Let it fly. Be totally still and quiet, watch the deer as far as you can. Mark the spot last seen very well. A specific thing, not an area. Take phone out, zoom camera and shoot picture of last spot. If you see it drop, go get him. If you don't, sit silent for 1 hour, listening and watching. Go inspect the arrow if the last spot you saw it was far away. Unless you feel the shot was perfect, sneak out for 4 hours or more. Nathan

Back