• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting water

stevethebreeze

Early season do you guys find deer hitting water early, middle, or evening? I've never really hunted water much but this year Im in an area that water looks like it may be gold.

Here in the South it is generally dry until late October.

I know most of you guys are smarter than me. What say you?

I find small, hidden, fresh flowing water sources are good all day, but any large or open areas don't see deer except early and late.

But I'm on pressured public land.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I find small, hidden, fresh flowing water sources are good all day, but any large or open areas don't see deer except early and late.

But I'm on pressured public land.

I found a pond on Private 10 yards from Public. But its close to a road (25yds away from road)so Im thinking they may hit it early or after dark. Kind of like you said. Not a lot of water in the area but lots of Oaks. So food and water really close to each other. Not sure about bedding yet. Just found this spot yesterday road scouting.

Yeah, I dont sit out all day until late October anyway, but I would take a walk early afternoon and try to find deer trails through the woods set up off to the side where some producing oaks are. Good luck.

Back