• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I’m all in...

trailblazer75

I finally committed and sold all my stands and extra sticks today.

I retained a set of 4 lone wolves, 6 shortened API sticks and a Loc-On spirit.

Letting go of 5 stands and 4 sets of sticks. Whew. This is purging!
b81375aa87026f2dba1e95dd444d61c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. You used to drag those things into the woods? They look heavy.
Given that he had multiples, I'd imagine they were anywhere from permanent to semi-permanent. Heck - I've (read - my family's traditional huntimg grounds) got a few (homebuilt, periodically refreshed) stands that are literally older than I am and a bunch that are 25+ YO. We've been transitioning into commercial stands over the past 15-20 years but still use a few of the old standbys. It's an absolute trip how some (e.g. swamp) stands are basically the same and still produce, while others are into their second regeneration as lumber has been cut, matured, and cut again.

Given that he had multiples, I'd imagine they were anywhere from permanent to semi-permanent. Heck - I've (read - my family's traditional huntimg grounds) got a few (homebuilt, periodically refreshed) stands that are literally older than I am and a bunch that are 25+ YO. We've been transitioning into commercial stands over the past 15-20 years but still use a few of the old standbys. It's an absolute trip how some (e.g. swamp) stands are basically the same and still produce, while others are into their second regeneration as lumber has been cut, matured, and cut again.

Well. All I hunt is public land. So I’d put em out once a year and take em down once a year. It was a massive PITA. Which is actually what led me to saddle hunting. I’d venture to say that some of these stands are close to my age for sure though. They’re all hand me downs.

Well. All I hunt is public land. So I’d put em out once a year and take em down once a year. It was a massive PITA. Which is actually what led me to saddle hunting. I’d venture to say that some of these stands are close to my age for sure though. They’re all hand me downs.

The area my family traditionally hunts is also public land, in an area where permanent stands are legal/OK. And we've progressed from "climbing trees" to more organized mobile options as well. "Semi-permanent" in my book is the "once a season" sort of setup.

I have some private ground as well, so I have kept mine. I prefer a hang on stand over the saddle. If I only hunted public, they would be sold.

I did last year too with both my hang on stands. It was hard to let go but im much happier now since it is less weight. My wife is happier now too because it is less stuff hanging in the garage.

I did that something when I got into saddle hunting. I have yet to regret it. The only way the wife was going to be on board was if i sold all my stands FIRST. 4 ladder stands, 5 hang on stands and 1 mobile stand set up.

I'm in the same boat. The last 5 years I've only been hunting public with a couple saddles and a Lone Wolf climber but still have a bunch of Summits and a lock on that used to get used on a lease but I don't see any leases again in the near future so everything is getting sold besides the Lone Wolf and saddles. Just ordered a Merlin so if it works out hoping by the end of the season/spring to pivot to just a Merlin, JX3, and Lone Wolf (I know I know but after so many hunts with it and so many prepped trees I'll probably always keep it around for handgun hunts).

Back