• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I’m Back and Looking for Gear!

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
I had to take some time off the forum, all my hobbies actually, due to a very busy schedule. I had been deemed “essential” and working overtime on nights was rough but it looks like I got a little break and and back on days for a while. Remodeling my house with any spare time I have had been a real chore but it’s nice scratching several projects off the list. I’m really blessed to be working during these times but am glad to get back to normal.

With that being said, I’m looking at updating my old setup a little. I want to get some 8mm rope to use for tether and rappelling along with some sort of cord for standard prusiks. What’s the best 8mm rope and matching prusik cord going now?

I had to take some time off the forum, all my hobbies actually, due to a very busy schedule. I had been deemed “essential” and working overtime on nights was rough but it looks like I got a little break and and back on days for a while. Remodeling my house with any spare time I have had been a real chore but it’s nice scratching several projects off the list. I’m really blessed to be working during these times but am glad to get back to normal.

With that being said, I’m looking at updating my old setup a little. I want to get some 8mm rope to use for tether and rappelling along with some sort of cord for standard prusiks. What’s the best 8mm rope and matching prusik cord going now?

i've been real happy with 8mm sterling oplux with a sterling trc friction hitch cord. i tried beal on it as a hitch also. it works fine, i just preferred the bite of the trc better.

Just sent some stimulus to DanO lol. Went with the oplux and trc cord.

I’m expecting some serious space saving from my current 10+mm rope and a return to rappelling for some deep country one sticking. I’m very excited!

Last edited:
@Clarence Botiker the kong duck works great on oplux as well. i'm currently using friction hitches, but that is just a personal preference. depends on what you prefer. both seem like good choices.

@Wirrex good choice. and even better to throw @DanO some money. I am currently using a swabisch hitch with the Trc and really enjoying the adjust-ability and the bite. good luck with your new toys.

I just ordered a pile of Grivel Plume wire gates! I have been eyeballing the biners and rope for a long time and am really excited to upgrade the old system. Hopefully the wire gates do better with freezing rain and they save some weight.

I just ordered a pile of Grivel Plume wire gates! I have been eyeballing the biners and rope for a long time and am really excited to upgrade the old system. Hopefully the wire gates do better with freezing rain and they save some weight.

Love my grivel wire gates...works great.

Back