• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I Beam platforms?

bowhunter15

Vendor Rep
I've seen a few of these floating around on the internet over the past few years. I think some guys on here have even ordered the raw material before, but I've yet to read any feedback on how they work. With the smallest size I Beam from Onlinemetals, if you cut it at an angle and make a few more adjustments on the grinder, you can come up with a step that's about 4.3oz, and I would think should work well. Anyone tried it?
a65e407e4daf0cd512a1594b193a32d7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I bought some stock but lacking proper tools haven't done anything with it

I remember seeing pics on here I think a couple of years ago. Pretty awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought some stock but lacking proper tools haven't done anything with it

Yea, I'm not sure the best way to cut that I beam. Metal cutting band saw? The nice thing is that for ~ 6" of I beam, you get 2 identical steps.

That's exactly what stopped me that and drilling out the strap area

A buddy of mine made me a set almost exactly like that. I'll try to post up some pics.

I have five of these on a ratchet strap. They weigh about 8.5 oz each so not exactly ultralight. I covered them with camo tape and some non-skid tape. These are made of 4" aluminum I-beam and the step surface area is 2 5/8" x 3" so they are much nicer to stand on than the Ameristeps. I could probably do some mods to them to shave some weight but I'm satisfied as they are.

I have five of these on a ratchet strap. They weigh about 8.5 oz each so not exactly ultralight. I covered them with camo tape and some non-skid tape. These are made of 4" aluminum I-beam and the step surface area is 2 5/8" x 3" so they are much nicer to stand on than the Ameristeps. I could probably do some mods to them to shave some weight but I'm satisfied as they are.
Do they move around at all when you tighten them down?

8.5 oz each is way too heavy for me. If we could cut that by 30%, I'd be a customer.
The CAD I drew up showed about half that weight. I used a smaller stock size (shorter span distance) and then trimmed the step surface so that it's 1.25" wide instead of the full 2.6" or whatever it was. I tried perforations in the span too, but the difference was only a couple tenths of an ounce at the cost of reduced strength.

I'm also looking at alternative materials like FRP.

Back