• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I Finally Saw a Deer

bj139

I have been out hunting at least 15 separate times and have not seen a deer until today. I got up the tree near where I had a previous incident with a hunter at 2PM. The first few hours, nothing then at 4:15, 45 minutes before sunset I see movement to my left. It is a buck and I grab my bow. I think it is a spike with 12 inch spikes about 30 yards away with maybe a fork on one side. He is walking and I can't get a clear shot. Finally I see an opening and let her fly. Twack. I hit a dead tree about 15 feet up. The buck seemed a little startled then moved back into the trees. I used that nifty rope foot loop to re-cock my Hickory Creek mini and reloaded. I then thought I should have used my deer call to try to stop the buck but it was in my pack so I got it out. I set the slider to halfway between D a F for doe or fawn and let out a grunt. It was softer than a deep grunt but I thought it should be softer so I set it to the top of the F. After a couple minutes I let out a grunt which was more like a bleat but not quite. I thought that was good. In a minute a deer starts coming toward me from where the buck was. It was a doe but I have a doe tag so I wait. Then the doe hesitates and sticks it nose up and seems unsure. I was downwind so I was good. I don't think she is going to come closer so I let an arrow fly. It is a quartering toward angle down shot. I don't hear any impact. The doe jumps up and runs to my left with her tail up but wasn't running like a scared jackrabbit. I waited a few minutes and packed up my stuff and started to climb down taking my time. I decided I was going to have to go back tomorrow no matter what. As I was climbing down, I noticed another doe behind me which either winded me or saw me moving. I packed my pack and put it on and went to look for the arrow. It was almost dark so I put on my headlamp and could see much better. I did not find the arrow. I walked out in the dark and will go back tomorrow. I was thinking of taking my new puppy but I think he is still learning what his nose is for. He would probably be more trouble than he is worth. He has been waking me up at 5:30 so he will be good for that. They are forecasting rain tomorrow but not till the afternoon. Here is a picture of my first shot. After reading the posts recently I figured going back tomorrow would be best. Wish me luck. It should be a fairly easy drag at least, on the level mostly. Was this a good plan?
I am not sure if the buck was legal since it had no forks I think. Is this true in PA?

Last edited:
I have been out hunting at least 15 separate times and have not seen a deer until today. I got up the tree near where I had a previous incident with a hunter at 2PM. The first few hours, nothing then at 4:15, 45 minutes before sunset I see movement to my left. It is a buck and I grab my bow. I think it is a spike with 12 inch spikes about 30 yards away. He is walking and I can't get a clear shot. Finally I see an opening and let her fly. Twack. I hit a dead tree about 15 feet up. The buck seemed a little startled then moved back into the trees. I used that nifty rope foot loop to re-cock my Hickory Creek mini and reloaded. I then thought I should have used my deer call to try to stop the buck but it was in my pack so I got it out. I set the slider to halfway between D a F for doe or fawn and let out a grunt. It was softer than a deep grunt but I thought it should be softer so I set it to the top of the F. After a couple minutes I let out a grunt which was more like a bleat but not quite. I thought that was good. In a minute a deer starts coming toward me from where the buck was. It was a doe but I have a doe tag so I wait. Then the doe hesitates and sticks it nose up and seems unsure. I was downwind so I was good. I don't think she is going to come closer so I let an arrow fly. It is a quartering toward angle down shot. I don't hear any impact. The doe jumps up and runs to my left with her tail up but wasn't running like a scared jackrabbit. I waited a few minutes and packed up my stuff and started to climb down taking my time. I decided I was going to have to go back tomorrow no matter what. As I was climbing down, I noticed another doe behind me which either winded me or saw mw moving. I packed my pack and put it on and went to look for the arrow. It was almost dark so I put on my headlamp and could see much better. I did not find the arrow. I walked out in the dark and will go back tomorrow. I was thinking of taking my new puppy but I think he is still learning what his nose is for. He would probably be more trouble than he is worth. He has been waking me up at 5:30 so he will be good for that. They are forecasting rain tomorrow but not till the afternoon. Here is a picture of my first shot. After reading the posts recently I figured going back tomorrow would be best. Wish me luck. It should be a fairly easy drag at least, on the level mostly. Was this a good plan?
I am not sure if the buck was legal since it had no forks I think. Is this true in PA?
What kind of broadheads are you shooting?

Do you think you hit her?
I think so. The sight picture through the scope looked good and she bounded off like something was not right. I will find what I find tomorrow. I am thinking at the angle and with my Hickory Creek set to 125 lbs, she may have stopped the arrow. I did not snort the fairy dust.

I just searched and I am not a lawyer but it looks like it is a good thing I did not shoot the buck. Unless there were more points I could not see I think this may be an illegal buck, not duck. :mask:

Last edited:
If you hit her quartering to you with rages then you should have gone through a lot of real estate and cut some junk up. Take a gps because you may have to make circles or do a grid search to find her. If she was quartering steep you may have an arrow still lodged in her flank. She will probably cash out, but she may not leave a blood trail. Good luck brother!

If you hit her quartering to you with rages then you should have gone through a lot of real estate and cut some junk up. Take a gps because you may have to make circles or do a grid search to find her. If she was quartering steep you may have an arrow still lodged in her flank. She will probably cash out, but she may not leave a blood trail. Good luck brother!
Thanks. I left a preset loop in the tree I was sitting in and I left the arrow marker about 15 feet up the dead tree. I have a good idea the direction she went. Maybe I'll have to get some fairy dust if this does not work out, to punch a hole out the bottom.

If you are drawing 125# and the arrow did not pass through you hit a big bone somewhere. Fairy dust or not I would rather make em bleed on a bad shot than just blow through them.

If you are drawing 125# and the arrow did not pass through you hit a big bone somewhere. Fairy dust or not I would rather make em bleed on a bad shot than just blow through them.
This was with a crossbow with 23 inch arrows and 100 gr heads. I didn't hear a sound of impact which I thought was unusual like it may have hit all soft tissue.

This was with a crossbow with 23 inch arrows and 100 gr heads. I didn't hear a sound of impact which I thought was unusual like it may have hit all soft tissue.
The tissue would muffle the sound if it hit the back leg bone from the inside. I am sure its dead if your arrow ran the course down her body, but without an exit hole and a high entrance hole she may not put that much blood on the ground if any.

I was surprised I seem to have called a deer. At least I didn't scare them away with my calling.

I have been out hunting at least 15 separate times and have not seen a deer until today. I got up the tree near where I had a previous incident with a hunter at 2PM. The first few hours, nothing then at 4:15, 45 minutes before sunset I see movement to my left. It is a buck and I grab my bow. I think it is a spike with 12 inch spikes about 30 yards away. He is walking and I can't get a clear shot. Finally I see an opening and let her fly. Twack. I hit a dead tree about 15 feet up. The buck seemed a little startled then moved back into the trees. I used that nifty rope foot loop to re-cock my Hickory Creek mini and reloaded. I then thought I should have used my deer call to try to stop the buck but it was in my pack so I got it out. I set the slider to halfway between D a F for doe or fawn and let out a grunt. It was softer than a deep grunt but I thought it should be softer so I set it to the top of the F. After a couple minutes I let out a grunt which was more like a bleat but not quite. I thought that was good. In a minute a deer starts coming toward me from where the buck was. It was a doe but I have a doe tag so I wait. Then the doe hesitates and sticks it nose up and seems unsure. I was downwind so I was good. I don't think she is going to come closer so I let an arrow fly. It is a quartering toward angle down shot. I don't hear any impact. The doe jumps up and runs to my left with her tail up but wasn't running like a scared jackrabbit. I waited a few minutes and packed up my stuff and started to climb down taking my time. I decided I was going to have to go back tomorrow no matter what. As I was climbing down, I noticed another doe behind me which either winded me or saw me moving. I packed my pack and put it on and went to look for the arrow. It was almost dark so I put on my headlamp and could see much better. I did not find the arrow. I walked out in the dark and will go back tomorrow. I was thinking of taking my new puppy but I think he is still learning what his nose is for. He would probably be more trouble than he is worth. He has been waking me up at 5:30 so he will be good for that. They are forecasting rain tomorrow but not till the afternoon. Here is a picture of my first shot. After reading the posts recently I figured going back tomorrow would be best. Wish me luck. It should be a fairly easy drag at least, on the level mostly. Was this a good plan?
I don't like the fact that you didn't hear an impact. I do know I had to learn to listen for it though. Here's wishing you good luck in the morning. Let us know how you make out.

I don't like the fact that you didn't hear an impact. I do know I had to learn to listen for it though. Here's wishing you good luck in the morning. Let us know how you make out.
The doe I shot last year was a loud twack. It was a heart shot so I assume it hit a rib. I expected the same today, but nothing.

No offense but why would you shoot at a buck not knowing the antler restrictions? That could’ve gotten you in a decent amount of trouble.
I thought I might have seen extra points but was not sure. The antlers were 12 inches long at least. Could it have been a spike with antlers that long?

Back