• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I had a problem....

WHW

Vendor Rep
with my knee pads and small diameter trees when using a platform. There would only be room for one knee, and I had to keep switching knees or when I tried to use both they would separate. I used a piece of cord to tie around my legs just above my knees and it worked. In fact, so good that I used some one inch tubular webbing with some snap buckles to make it even better. It's light and when rolled up, secured with a rubber band, very compact for carrying. I haven't seen this mentioned on the site and thought I would share in case anyone else was having the same problem.

39JgXqJ.jpg

9DSr6wI.jpg

I’ve seen some folks run a strap between their knees and let that rest against the tree, with knees on either side. Been meaning to try - I don’t enjoy knees to tree, and get little use out of the olatform because of it.

This looks useful too in that endeavor. Great idea.

How’s your season Mr. Warren?

Interesting, Have you tried attaching a pad to the tree like a lw seat pad ? I had forgotten my knee pads one day and used the pad from a seat build I keep in my pack. I attached it with a bungie cord . It worked pretty well once I found a position of comfort .The other thing you might try is your back band .Another good option as it is already in your pack (hopefully) . So no additional weight . Thoughts?

Interesting, Have you tried attaching a pad to the tree like a lw seat pad ? I had forgotten my knee pads one day and used the pad from a seat build I keep in my pack. I attached it with a bungie cord . It worked pretty well once I found a position of comfort .The other thing you might try is your back band .Another good option as it is already in your pack (hopefully) . So no additional weight . Thoughts?

I personally prefer the knee pads over a seat pad for several reasons. And, I need my back band for back support. The first hunt I ever made out of a saddle I didn't bring my back band and I was miserable. Swore I would never make another hunt without it. This little strap really works great and I haven't found any downside using it.

I started out with a hawk seat for a pad...super comfy on the knees but a pain to lug around....light but bulky. I now prefer knee pads because i wear them into the stand and have needed to crawl under a fence or get low to avoid deer. Multi purpose is what im all about and im not carrying extra if not needed. That knee band is something i have not thought about tho...Thanks for sharing!

Something we can work on at the meet up . I too prefer my knee pads and wear them in too. If my memory fails then I always have a backband with me . I have not used my back strap for anything but padding so far lol.

with my knee pads and small diameter trees when using a platform. There would only be room for one knee, and I had to keep switching knees or when I tried to use both they would separate. I used a piece of cord to tie around my legs just above my knees and it worked. In fact, so good that I used some one inch tubular webbing with some snap buckles to make it even better. It's light and when rolled up, secured with a rubber band, very compact for carrying. I haven't seen this mentioned on the site and thought I would share in case anyone else was having the same problem.

39JgXqJ.jpg

9DSr6wI.jpg
I've done a similar thing with the tag end of my tether rope. I put a slip knot in it so I can quick-release it and not worry about dropping anything. I think yours would be more comfortable but my way is simple and allows my tether to multi task. I like gear that can serve more than one purpose.

This is exactly why this site is sooooo awesome! something like this can seem so small but folks on here go out of their way to make all of our hunting sits a little better.

Great idea. Sometimes when I’m in that situation I put both knees on the side of the tree and just sit 100% in the saddle for 30 min or so. Just a different way to switch pressure.

I've done a similar thing with the tag end of my tether rope. I put a slip knot in it so I can quick-release it and not worry about dropping anything. I think yours would be more comfortable but my way is simple and allows my tether to multi task. I like gear that can serve more than one purpose.

I have a figure 8 loop in the end of my tether that I place in the carabiner that holds my bridge. Just a safety factor incase my Ropeman 1 fails.

I personally prefer the knee pads over a seat pad for several reasons. And, I need my back band for back support. The first hunt I ever made out of a saddle I didn't bring my back band and I was miserable. Swore I would never make another hunt without it. This little strap really works great and I haven't found any downside using it.
I would never hunt without a back band either. The more places you can put pressure on the body the more comfortable a saddle is... feet, hips, butt, back and knees. Or if I use my JX3... ignore all the above. I do like having the choice of more than one saddle. You cannot beat how compact my mantis is with its small back band.
Knee pads... you cannot beat the arc'teryx knee pads. When they are on... you do not notice them. If you forget them then you notice not having them. Wear them to the tree and one less thing to do when you set up. Less bulk than a seat pad too and no set up required. .

Knee pads... you cannot beat the arc'teryx knee pads. When they are on... you do not notice them. If you forget them then you notice not having them. Wear them to the tree and one less thing to do when you set up. Less bulk than a seat pad too and no set up required. .

As you can see in the pictures, I have the arc'teryx knee pads too. I wear them from the time I leave the vehicle until I return. It's like I don't have them on. I fieldquarter all my deer on the spot and find them very useful for that process.

In my experience, when I'm sitting with my knees on the tree, no matter the size, I have to keep my abduction muscles tight. That gets tiresome very quick for me. I have thought about this concept several times, I just never spent enough time leaning for me to try something out. I will try this out again now to see if I can find some comfort in the lean.

As you can see in the pictures, I have the arc'teryx knee pads too. I wear them from the time I leave the vehicle until I return. It's like I don't have them on. I fieldquarter all my deer on the spot and find them very useful for that process.
I love my Arcs, too. Ive come to realize how nice knee pads are for walking in the woods. We have roadblocks everywhere from dead ash trees. I often have to go on 1 knee to squirm under and thru stuff. I no longer worry about wet knees, or thorns when I kneel.
Pads are also nice when deer approach while I'm walking. I can hunch down on my knees and get busted a lot less than if I were standing upright.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back