• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I have a bone to pick with some of you...

gcr0003

SH Member
How come none of you ROS guys have told me just how incredibly amazing, stable and comfortable a ROS is for saddle hunting?

I’m just kidding, but I seriously never gave the concept a try until now. I thought it would just have more problems than solutions. Now I only have like 6 hours on a ROS but I have enjoyed every minute of it.

I don’t know what kind of voodoo magic happens when you stand on a ROS and I can’t explain it but the angle that you lean at when using a ROS is just so natural. Shooting around a tree is a breeze as each step offers as much stability as anyone could ask for . I’m standing on some wooden blocks now but I’m hoping the tree hopper steps are just as good if not better!

I know some of y’all have been using these for a long time but some of us noobs coming in need reminding that some of the OG gear is OG for a reason.

In closing, if you were like me and skeptical of a ROS I would go cut some 6 in triangles from 2x6s drill a hole for a strap and give them a go in your back yard, you might be surprised to find you like what they have to offer like I did.
AB1900D9-8514-44C6-831C-28B4520C2F6E.pngEAE840AC-25EE-4505-9607-A5C99CED5D48.png

Yea I've never understood the platform for saddle hunting. I've owned multiple platforms and I always feel limited when in the tree with one. A ros is so much easier to shoot off of, not that you couldn't make the same shot on a platform but you would be much more contorted to get the same shot. I don't get it either.

I agree with your assessment about the comfort of the ROS. I choose to hunt from a platform due to the ease of positioning myself for most shots but mostly for weakside shots. On the platform I'll stand up and turn around with my back to the tree for weakside shots (which is one reason I don't wear bags on my saddle).

Maybe b/c it’s a tiring dialogue......usually gets lost in the noise. But now you know! I switch between both for different setups, but usually ROS. Like you said I like the geometry it creates & like feet straddling the tree, rather than some version of toes toward the tree. Now for your next level up moment, place 6 Sq steps on a ros then place them in pairs 2-3” apart in equal 1/3s around the tree......

One more thing to say about ros is that they allow you to shoot from a lot more angles or could you say area around the tree. This can be huge if you hunt in thick stuff. Being able to go to the other side of the tree and lean out may be what it takes to get a shooting lane on that buck you've been chasing.

Maybe b/c it’s a tiring dialogue......usually gets lost in the noise. But now you know! I switch between both for different setups, but usually ROS. Like you said I like the geometry it creates & like feet straddling the tree, rather than some version of toes toward the tree. Now for your next level up moment, place 6 Sq steps on a ros then place them in pairs 2-3” apart in equal 1/3s around the tree......
Yea I mean I feel like I haven’t Been around that long buts it’s already been 2 years. I can tell the constant answering and re answering all the same questions haha

They tend to dig in on my feet a bit on me after a few hours of leaning/standing with a steel shank in the boots or not. They're great for quick evening/half day sits though. I can usually be quieter putting a platform up, I always tend to wind chime one of the steps from the ROS into the other one when setting them up.

Now for your next level up moment, place 6 Sq steps on a ros then place them in pairs 2-3” apart in equal 1/3s around the tree......

I guess I lost interest after a brief go with a ring of bolts, but this seems like it may solve the issues I had there.

On another note. I’m also liking the 2x4 triangles on a strap idea, but was the “Which steps are best?” argument (squirrel steps vs treehopper?) ever definitively settled?

Yea I didn’t take it in any way @Bigterp and I also wasn’t trying to start a VS thread that’s why I added that clarifying

i also noticed that I don’t have to change my tether length to go from lean to sit. When I use a platform I almost alway have to let out more tether to be able to comfortably. I think it’s because being away from the tree applies more pressure bc of the geometry.

I will add that I have. Ever used a platform larger than a scout so I’m sure there are some nice aspects of large platforms I’m missing out as well.

As a new person to saddle hunting I overlooked them for 2 years. I just wanted to encourage others to try everything they can. It’s half the fun and you might find something you like haha!

I’m having trouble envisioning what
you are describing with the (6sq) steps. Got apic?

You have discovered the main problem with EVERY platform on the market. They all are too narrow and too far away from the tree FOR ME and no mfg has yet to come out with one that is wide enough and will wrap around the sides of the tree more in a V to allow a feel like the ROS. Take the Perch as an example - it is way too narrow at the base of the tree and widest way out away, which still keeps your feet and knees too close together. You do not stand still on the ground with your legs close together, but naturally have them at least shoulder width apart for balance and comfort. I thought Matt at OOAL may be the one to tackle it, but have not heard or seen zip since providing this feedback long ago. No true innovation in the platform space, just me too variations, and even the Predator was just the first commercial version of DIY versions from LW parts guys were already doing. This is low hanging fruit for some maker, but they won't bite and keep selling the same old crap.

Wow. I totally have gotten caught up in the platform race, that I forgot something so simple as a ROS is still a good option. Thinking back to my last season. I may have had another doe in the freezer, but when that sun came out and was lighting me up like a Christmas tree. I got picked off so easily. I was trying to hide behind the tree, but with the platform I could only go so far and stay there for so long before I couldn't take it. I was busted. Also to note seems like a rachet strap and some home made pegs could be an easy preset.
Thanks for the the post @gcr0003

Back