• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I love my Black Widow, but ....

michigandrake

I got my first ever traditional "Robinhood" a couple of weeks ago with my Widow. I do love this bow but she is just too much for me nowadays. At 52lbs I am only good for the first 6-8 shots and even at that, I feel it in both my shoulders the next day. I much prefer my 45lb Bear for hunting these days but not in the same class.
E-mailed BW today to see how much weight and dollars I can drop. We will see. Probably cheaper than a double shoulder transplant.wodow robinhood.jpg

That's a SWEET lookin' Widow! If you can afford it, lighter limbs on the Widow would be my recommendation-I have 4 of 'em & LOVE them all. You can't beat that heavier riser for stability! Also, since you're used to shooting her, there's no "get acquainted" time that will need to be spent "building a relationship" with a new Lady!

Go to the Widow site, & search "in stock bows." They normally have limbs that didn't come out to the proper weight when finished, and are usually light. If you don't find any on there, call them-sometimes they have them but haven't added them to the web site yet. You can also ask them to call you if they make a set that's too light for an order that they're working on-you may have to wait a bit, but....

I found a pair of 33 lb curly maple limbs that I just had to have, so I ordered them & had them make another riser in the grip size that I wanted-it was le$$ than a complete new custom bow.

Last edited:
They are such pretty bows and natural to point/ carry and shoot.
I’m a bit more consistent/ confident with an Titan ILF but I’m hoping to be hunting with my Greybark PCH w standard grip by this fall or rotating it in for ground hunts
I have brushes and rests to play with but just calf hair on the shelf at present

Attachments

• 94AC4149-1779-4B25-A1AB-185118F7A5B8.jpeg
    94AC4149-1779-4B25-A1AB-185118F7A5B8.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 23
If you want to ship it to Ohio, I'll send you a Grizzly or Kodiak Hunter to use......

If you're sentimental about it I wouldn't sell it unless you absolutely need the $. 6-8 shots is about 5-7 more than you'd probably need on a hunt anyway right? Make it a one shot per day bow?

I dunno just a newbie to trad, it's a sweet looking bow though.

Just got off the phone with BW and they think 4 lbs can be shaved off my current limbs. That would put me at 48lbs and while better I am not sure that will be low enough going forward. A new set of limbs would run me $780. Going to let it percolate for a couple days before I decide what to do.

You should be able to trade/swap those limbs pretty easily. That is a desirable weight. Maybe throw Widow Wall, Leatherwall or somewhere comparable.

Back