• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I made my own Predator Platform pack!

Slicknick630

So I have always wanted to start making some of my own gear for really anything from hunting to just storing stuff. I have been wanting to get the hys strap and the predator pack but figured why not just try to make it my self with my new sewing machine. Some nylon strap and 600d cordura later this is what I made. I am still getting the hang of sewing and there is a ton to learn but I just wanted to show you guys that with a little trial and error and a singer 4411 heavy duty you can create some neat stuff. More projects to come that will help make getting my gear to and from the woods a little easier! If anyone else has made some cool stuff please show me. Would love to get some ideas!
A0779D31-1EB0-410C-83DD-AC8DAA3B7D8A.jpeg1B653869-45E4-4600-BC2C-68199DAE07E1.jpeg6404F222-A7E6-420C-B306-1EF5A88C60F9.jpeg

Love it, I have a similar machine and need to tune it up and try my hand as well.

Where did you get the material? Local store or online?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love it, I have a similar machine and need to tune it up and try my hand as well.

Where did you get the material? Local store or online?

I got the material from Amazon. I looked everywhere for the fabrics and couldn’t find it locally. The only thing I could get locally was from JoAnn Fabrics and that was the Gutterman thread. They also have rip stop nylon for other projects but it was limited. Best bet is online for your materials. Try Amazon or www.ripstopbytheroll.com

That's honestly pretty damn good for a first attempt, I'm impressed! Take this with a grain of salt, because my sewing experience is limited to making samples for kids products at a job I had many years ago, but there might be an easier way to sew this pack. I would wonder if you could eliminate the 3rd piece that acts as a gusset and just stitch front and back together and box the lower corners to the appropriate size so the predator can fit. You'd have to adjust your sizing a little, but the simpler design would be quicker and easier to sew.

That's honestly pretty damn good for a first attempt, I'm impressed! Take this with a grain of salt, because my sewing experience is limited to making samples for kids products at a job I had many years ago, but there might be an easier way to sew this pack. I would wonder if you could eliminate the 3rd piece that acts as a gusset and just stitch front and back together and box the lower corners to the appropriate size so the predator can fit. You'd have to adjust your sizing a little, but the simpler design would be quicker and easier to sew.

Oh I get what your saying that’s not a bad idea. I’m not going to lie I’m so new at this that I had to really think about what you meant. But ya your right I’m going to try that. It would fit a lot tighter to which would look good.

I've only tried to box things that had perpendicular sides (think: grocery bag), so I'm not sure if it will work on a tapered bag, but the predator has a funky shape so it might. Share a pic if you try!

A similar design and an idea for yis to make a bow holder for behind your drivers seat. I would use it all the time bc my bow basically stays in my truck.

Look at the x2 bow bucket for inspiration.

So I have always wanted to start making some of my own gear for really anything from hunting to just storing stuff. I have been wanting to get the hys strap and the predator pack but figured why not just try to make it my self with my new sewing machine. Some nylon strap and 600d cordura later this is what I made. I am still getting the hang of sewing and there is a ton to learn but I just wanted to show you guys that with a little trial and error and a singer 4411 heavy duty you can create some neat stuff. More projects to come that will help make getting my gear to and from the woods a little easier! If anyone else has made some cool stuff please show me. Would love to get some ideas!
View attachment 56044View attachment 56045View attachment 56046

awesome...a journey of 1,000 miles starts with a single step...pretty soon you'll be making backpacks and saddles...heck even tents

if you look at the high dollar materials, most of the price of things is in the labor and mark up.....the material in an everest ready tent is probably like 50 bucks

That’s looks really solid for a first attempt. How much would you say you have in fabric/materials for this?

Been entertaining the idea of getting into DIY, specifically sewing but I’m not sure what my wife will say if I have anymore toys show up in the mail

That’s looks really solid for a first attempt. How much would you say you have in fabric/materials for this?

Been entertaining the idea of getting into DIY, specifically sewing but I’m not sure what my wife will say if I have anymore toys show up in the mail

1 Yard of 600D Cordura $12 Amazon
10 yards mil spec 1in nylon webbing $11 Amazon
Gutterman thread $5 Joann Fabrics
Ghook $4 Amazon
That’s it. I could make a few of those bags with 1 yard of fabric. Plus I made the gear tree strap/hys strap with the webbing and still have plenty left over.

1 Yard of 600D Cordura $12 Amazon
10 yards mil spec 1in nylon webbing $11 Amazon
Gutterman thread $5 Joann Fabrics
Ghook $4 Amazon
That’s it. I could make a few of those bags with 1 yard of fabric. Plus I made the gear tree strap/hys strap with the webbing and still have plenty left over.

Is that your homemade gear strap in the pic? Looks like it’s modeled after the Tethrd one, I noticed they made how-to video, that’s what kind of got me thinking about the DIY route

Is that your homemade gear strap in the pic? Looks like it’s modeled after the Tethrd one, I noticed they made how-to video, that’s what kind of got me thinking about the DIY route

Yes I also made the gear strap. Their how to video on making it was very helpful

Back