• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I want to try saddle hunting. I am in North Texas DFW area.

jrlucas819

I am debating buying a saddle hunting set up versus a new climber. I will primarily be hunting public land in Texas, Oklahoma and Alabama. I would like to hear thoughts on pros and cons. I would also love the opportunity to look at someone's saddle set up and maybe trying out if possible.

I am on Norman, so 100 N of the line. I know they had a Tetherd event down there in DFW last year, hopefully they have them again, just watch the website.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I am debating buying a saddle hunting set up versus a new climber. I will primarily be hunting public land in Texas, Oklahoma and Alabama. I would like to hear thoughts on pros and cons. I would also love the opportunity to look at someone's saddle set up and maybe trying out if possible.

I wish I would have known about them before the past year or so.

In my opinion the only con is that you’ll constantly be spending money tinkering with new things haha.

I bought the Phantom, Predator, and all the other Tethrd gear, ropes, rope man, etc.. and had 4 full size Lone Wolf sticks to start. That was 100% better than packing a lock on and sticks or a climber and much more comfortable and mobile.

After a few weeks I added cable aiders and dropped down to 3 sticks, also great. A few weeks later I cut down a spare set of sticks to 18” and added aiders to them, I thought this was awesome. Fast forward a month or so more and I’ve built out a super nice “one-sticking” stick with a scout on top and acquired a rappelling kit.

Now I’m waiting on my workhorse from EWO to arrive so I can start “one-sticking” with my Predator platform only. Next season I’ll be packing the Predator in the Predator pack and a lightweight fleece Fanny.

If you enjoy being Uber mobile and trying new things I would 100% recommend getting a saddle.

I’m 5-6 hours away so I’m likely no help in allowing you to test, but I’m sure there are some fellow saddle hunters nearby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am on the south end of Fort Worth and I work up by Dallas if you want to meet up some time. I have a phantom.

I know this is an older thread but are there still any saddle hunters on here from the Fort Worth area. I am knew to saddle hunting. I just got my saddle, ropes, and stick about 2 weeks ago and have been practicing a little bit. Just trying to find someone close by that can give me pointers or help the learning curve some.

Back