• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I wasn't ready, deer snuck up behind me

caddis75

Hey all. I am a middle-aged new hunter, learning solo, in my second season. I've never killed a deer. I've been scouting most weekends and felt like I had a decent spot to sit for a few hours on top of a mountain, near a scrape and poop piles. I had a rough week at work and slept in, I know I shouldn't have. The closest hunting land is an hour from me, so I got to the tree around 10. Had a PBJ at 11, I took off my wrist release to eat. It was pretty windy so I tucked my head and closed my eyes for a few minutes. I open my eyes to a 6 pointer right underneath me, at 11:15, walking from behind me to diagonally away. I was more shocked than anything. It was a big deer, at least for me anyway. I felt like he was too close to reach for my release and then get my bow so I stayed still till he found a tree branch to lick and was preoccupied. He was behind a tree though, and there wasn't a shot. I grunted and he ignored me, kept walking, and was out of sight. I didn't see squat the rest of the day. The wind was coming from the east and his path was northeasterly. Unsure if and when I'll hunt from that preset again. Getting closer, hopefully, this won't be a one-and-done like last season.

I think the rule is: If your hunting, it can happen at any time. Usually when you least want it to or expect it to. Always be ready. Because saying there isn't any thing there, or assuming there is nothing close by, tends to always result in the opposite. At least to me. Murphy's law. But with that said I will never knock on a guy for taking a 10 min power nap. Expecially if you need it after working.

The weather looks good this week so I may take off Tuesday to hunt. I Will let you all know if I do and how it goes.

Sounds like you're making awesome progress. I got a new wrist release this year-one that can fold back on your wrist so your hand is a bit more free, may be easier to grab one like that instead of taking it off?

Sounds like you're making awesome progress. I got a new wrist release this year-one that can fold back on your wrist so your hand is a bit more free, may be easier to grab one like that instead of taking it off?

what release is that? I’ve been debating on switching to a thumb release to keep my hands more free and have the bow be ready at a moments notice?

Hey all. I am a middle-aged new hunter, learning solo, in my second season. I've never killed a deer. I've been scouting most weekends and felt like I had a decent spot to sit for a few hours on top of a mountain, near a scrape and poop piles. I had a rough week at work and slept in, I know I shouldn't have. The closest hunting land is an hour from me, so I got to the tree around 10. Had a PBJ at 11, I took off my wrist release to eat. It was pretty windy so I tucked my head and closed my eyes for a few minutes. I open my eyes to a 6 pointer right underneath me, at 11:15, walking from behind me to diagonally away. I was more shocked than anything. It was a big deer, at least for me anyway. I felt like he was too close to reach for my release and then get my bow so I stayed still till he found a tree branch to lick and was preoccupied. He was behind a tree though, and there wasn't a shot. I grunted and he ignored me, kept walking, and was out of sight. I didn't see squat the rest of the day. The wind was coming from the east and his path was northeasterly. Unsure if and when I'll hunt from that preset again. Getting closer, hopefully, this won't be a one-and-done like last season.

Stand naps are sometimes the best.

In terms of wrist releases, some like mine lock back and out of the way when doing other things. For the reason you described, I put mine on before entering the woods and don't take it off until I'm out of the woods. Having said that though, I can't seem to get a good anchor at odd angles and may try a thumb release in the off-season to see if that changes anything.

I'm using a trufire hardcore, switched to it a few months ago, initially was wary of switching releases but it's much more comfortable than my old release, added benefit of this hook style is it's easy to put on the d loop by feel. I made a post a few months ago about releases and got some good advice that led me to trying this one.

Pure boredom for hours on end waiting and waiting, hoping that 30 seconds of heart pounding excitement will take place and praying you'll be ready at that moment...
Don't sweat it really, you did a lot of things right to get to that point. What happened to you unfortunately can only be learned by experience and one you will never forget from this point on. Hunting is a life long learning process and you're doing great. Stay positive and enjoy every moment.

Buy a release you can eat your PB&J with and not have to take it off.

Thanks all. It's a truball max hunter 3 thumb release. The strap is one size and too loose so it can fall off, which is why I took it off. I may try to add a rubber band to pinch off the strap. I also don't think I spooked it. It just ignored the hell out of me, lol. I was also drinking coffee, I guess I had the wind right.

Always accentuate the positives and build on the negatives. Like stated earlier, you scouted and decided to be there and you had a buck under you while you were there. Those are all positives and you should be proud of that.

You got caught with your release off, that’s a negative so figure out how to not have that happen again. My release is held on by a wrist strap and I would simply roll it 180° so the release was laying on the top of my hand and that would free up my fingers.

Naps……we all need them at times so that one is a push, lol.

Tree sleep is sweet. I'm never out cold though because I hear that certain rustle or snap of a twig which is my favorite sound. To me a twig snap is all deer.
Most other sound is background music.
Deer and squirrels can sound alike in the leaves but a grouse sounds like a kid dragging size 12 boots! Lol

The deer always seem to show up if I’m eating, napping, or trying to take a leak lol. Not when I’m ready

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a successful hunt in my books. Ya you didn't get the deer but you made a bunch of good choices that put you in position to have success.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

2nd year hunter self taught and u had a buck in range under u while elevated and not get detected?.....I think u done pretty good regardless of u got a shot or not...
I don't know what style of release u have but with my wrist strap style I turn it around so that I can use my hands and it's not in the way... Either way.. That is my take away from ur encounter.... Don't take off ur release

Back