• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I'm lost, part 2

Youngblood

Joined the site in January. Have been going down endless rabbit holes trying to get information. I detest spending money on poor quality or useless products. This site is loaded with good info, but it's a bit of overload. I finally ordered saddles for my oldest son and myself. Went with Cruzr after months of reading and videos. Hope it was a good choice, but it's time to move forward.
I am currently shopping tethers, lineman ropes and find myself right back in the same situation. There are too many options, too many terms for a newbie. It's overwhelming. Not only do I agree with the "buy once,cry once" mantra, I'm shopping for two! It's like when I got the boys into shooting, endless feaking money. With that said I would appreciate advice from the "pros".
At this point I am thinking Oplux for both tether and lineman, with roll n lock on lineman and some sort of prusik on tether for simplicity. Does this sound like a good plan? I have read alot about not using ascender on tether, especially for new users. What is the right prusik here? That is solid but still easily adjusted? Is a hollowblock, or autoblok just a "brand" of prusik?
When in use, do you just keep the lineman belt cinched to one side at all times?
How do you select the right carabiners for your application? It's mind boggling right now. There must be one that is easy to clip on for lineman, and another that allows your bridge to move freely?
How ling should the ropes be? How big should the eyes be? I will be paying a pro to splice, I don't trust myself to do it at this point.
I know I'm asking a lot here at once, but it's only scratching the surface of my ineptitude. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I would like to pass this hurdle so I can move onto climbing methods, and platforms next, uggh.
In case it affects your choices, we are currently hunting private land, hoping to add public. Will likely be using screw in steps but not sure. Cruzr with Amsteel bridges. Nothing else set in stone.
Thanks guys

Joined the site in January. Have been going down endless rabbit holes trying to get information. I detest spending money on poor quality or useless products. This site is loaded with good info, but it's a bit of overload. I finally ordered saddles for my oldest son and myself. Went with Cruzr after months of reading and videos. Hope it was a good choice, but it's time to move forward.
I am currently shopping tethers, lineman ropes and find myself right back in the same situation. There are too many options, too many terms for a newbie. It's overwhelming. Not only do I agree with the "buy once,cry once" mantra, I'm shopping for two! It's like when I got the boys into shooting, endless feaking money. With that said I would appreciate advice from the "pros".
At this point I am thinking Oplux for both tether and lineman, with roll n lock on lineman and some sort of prusik on tether for simplicity. Does this sound like a good plan? I have read alot about not using ascender on tether, especially for new users. What is the right prusik here? That is solid but still easily adjusted? Is a hollowblock, or autoblok just a "brand" of prusik?
When in use, do you just keep the lineman belt cinched to one side at all times?
How do you select the right carabiners for your application? It's mind boggling right now. There must be one that is easy to clip on for lineman, and another that allows your bridge to move freely?
How ling should the ropes be? How big should the eyes be? I will be paying a pro to splice, I don't trust myself to do it at this point.
I know I'm asking a lot here at once, but it's only scratching the surface of my ineptitude. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I would like to pass this hurdle so I can move onto climbing methods, and platforms next, uggh.
In case it affects your choices, we are currently hunting private land, hoping to add public. Will likely be using screw in steps but not sure. Cruzr with Amsteel bridges. Nothing else set in stone.
Thanks guys

Oplux is a great choice. If you want spliced eyes buy them already done at Wild Edge. They have a sale going on right now too.

If you want to save money tie knots vs spliced eyes.

If I was doing it here would be my order at DoubleSteps.com

-40’ oplux (cut into 4x10’ pieces)
-16’ 6mm TRC for Prussick ( I prefer a distel hitch wrap) or can get 4 Beal jammy
-4 tenders (DanO sells 4 different ones- my favorite it the mini kong figure 8 or 3d printed one)
-Carabiners you don’t have to be that picky with amsteel. They slide in most any carabiner. Locking and rated for climbing is all that is needed.

Hope I answered most of your questions.

what rope and how long will depend on your climbing and descent method, if your going to srt/drt or rappel down after a hunt, then you will need a longer rope, i would recommend 30-35ft, that should get you at least 20ft up. For an eye, i believe the 5in eye is pretty standard for most of our uses. you dont need a pre-spliced eye if you wanted, you could just tie an eye in the end of the rope using a figure 8 or similar knot. that would save you around $25 ea for a spliced eye, they are nice to not have the bulk of a knot at the end of a rope, but a knot really isnt that horrible either.

For any equipment you are looking for, the main thing to look at is to make sure it is climbing rated. the rollnlock, ropeman1, kong duck are all pretty similar, with slight differences in function. there is nothing wrong with using them, the important thing to remember is to keep tension on your tether. Even with a mechanical ascender, i would get a prusik cord as a back up either way.

https://doublesteps.com/ has all the equipment you could need, and all of it is quality.

Get your tether and linesman squared away .....2nd the Oplux from doublesteps.com. Then you are set for ground level testing. Get your saddles comfortable and so you know all the gear inside and out. After that, you will have a lot of answers to all of your questions ..... and a whole new set of questions. Nature of the beast.

Get your tether and linesman squared away .....2nd the Oplux from doublesteps.com. Then you are set for ground level testing. Get your saddles comfortable and so you know all the gear inside and out. After that, you will have a lot of answers to all of your questions ..... and a whole new set of questions. Nature of the beast.
That's an understatement

I don't have any personal experiences with Cruzer saddles but from what I've been reading I don't think you can wrong with them. The reviews have been very positive.

I changed from a Ropeman 1 on my tether to a Distel hitch simply because I one stick for climbing and that results in slack in my rope each time I advance. For most users, who never experience a slack tether the Ropeman is completely safe. Aside from the slack line I always felt perfectly safe on the Ropeman and I still have one on my lineman's belt/adjustable bridge. I my opinion it can't be beat in that application.

The fact is I recently recommended to another "newbie" that he stick with the Ropeman 1 over a firction hitch starting out for two reasons.

First, it is that it is insanely easy to adjust and as you're trying to fine tune your set up that ease of adjustment will be really appreciated.

Second, there is an inherent risk associated with the friction hitch that I rarely see mentioned here. If you inadvertently grab the hitch to adjust yourself while hanging it will loosen and slide. Of course, natural instinct when that happens is to grab harder which makes you slide faster. On the other hand, if you grab a ropeman from above it tightens more and provides a secure hand hold.

I think both of these are good reasons for a new saddle hunter to consider an mechanical device for tether attachment. Fact is, if you decide to change later, these items sell here very quickly for almost full price.

That said, if you're considering using a mechanical device pick ropes in the range suitable for the device. I also think we saddle hunters sometimes fall in the "smaller must be better" trap too. I know I do from time to time. I'm still trying hard to justify the 45' of Oplux I bought for rappelling. Honestly I'm finding it a bit hard to grasp in my big old hands and the smaller diameter heats faster in my hand than the thicker rope (think of lowering your bow with small paracord versus larger cord). I'll probably end up going back to my 11.5mm rappel rope just because it suits my purpose better. Remember, when you're only talking about an 8' length of rope for a tether or linemans, there's not a big difference in weight or bulk between 8mm and 11mm.

Let me start by saying I'm NOT a "pro". I'm less than a year in myself. I would actually recommend you take advice from others LOL. I just wanted to tell you what I did. I did a lot of research online like you. I met some people. I borrowed a few saddles. I did more research. I decided on the tethrd phantom. I'm not a big DIY guy so I bought everything I needed, except my climbing sticks from tethrd. Everything works perfectly, simple, and safely. I am very happy with the set up. Not trying to convince you to buy anything. Not saying I have the best out there. Just letting you know what worked for me. Good luck!

I don't have any personal experiences with Cruzer saddles but from what I've been reading I don't think you can wrong with them. The reviews have been very positive.

I changed from a Ropeman 1 on my tether to a Distel hitch simply because I one stick for climbing and that results in slack in my rope each time I advance. For most users, who never experience a slack tether the Ropeman is completely safe. Aside from the slack line I always felt perfectly safe on the Ropeman and I still have one on my lineman's belt/adjustable bridge. I my opinion it can't be beat in that application.

The fact is I recently recommended to another "newbie" that he stick with the Ropeman 1 over a firction hitch starting out for two reasons.

First, it is that it is insanely easy to adjust and as you're trying to fine tune your set up that ease of adjustment will be really appreciated.

Second, there is an inherent risk associated with the friction hitch that I rarely see mentioned here. If you inadvertently grab the hitch to adjust yourself while hanging it will loosen and slide. Of course, natural instinct when that happens is to grab harder which makes you slide faster. On the other hand, if you grab a ropeman from above it tightens more and provides a secure hand hold.

I think both of these are good reasons for a new saddle hunter to consider an mechanical device for tether attachment. Fact is, if you decide to change later, these items sell here very quickly for almost full price.

That said, if you're considering using a mechanical device pick ropes in the range suitable for the device. I also think we saddle hunters sometimes fall in the "smaller must be better" trap too. I know I do from time to time. I'm still trying hard to justify the 45' of Oplux I bought for rappelling. Honestly I'm finding it a bit hard to grasp in my big old hands and the smaller diameter heats faster in my hand than the thicker rope (think of lowering your bow with small paracord versus larger cord). I'll probably end up going back to my 11.5mm rappel rope just because it suits my purpose better. Remember, when you're only talking about an 8' length of rope for a tether or linemans, there's not a big difference in weight or bulk between 8mm and 11mm.

This is a great post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys

Carabiner and CT RollNLock: You WILL need an oval carabiner, I opted to go with the Kong Oval Twist Lock from Wild Edge Inc. and I will recommend it highly! For that matter, just buy them for your bridge as well. They're "auto-locking" so it will be one less thing to think about.

I am currently using the sewn-eye Oplux from Wild Edge Inc. for both my tether and lineman's, both with a CT RollNLock. My lineman's is girth hitched onto my left saddle lineman's loop, and then I just tuck the tag end length into my left hip dump pouch when not in use. If I was looking for a prussic, I'd check out the Sterling Hollowblock or the Beal Jammy from Eastern Outdoors. I'm currently using the 35mm Beal Jammy as my backup prussic on my tether.

Last edited:
You've already gotten a bunch of good advice on everything else so I'll touch on your carabiner question. Here's some good links that should help you select the right one:
Pay particular attention to the peztl info and sideloading and gate orientation. I've used black diamond and wild country biners with a ropeman 1 without difficulty. You'll see on here some folks using 9mm and smaller line with their ropeman 1s. Note the ropeman 1 is rated for 10mm and larger diameter line, this is due to the clamping force of the cam against the biner combined with the compression of the line. The smaller the line the less clamping force and less compression available. Many folks say it works and I'm sure it does. If you go that route do your research.

Thanks all for the input. Just placed order with DanO. He was also very helpful. I gotta say, saddle hunting is no cheaper than regular hunting. Especially when you have kids. Wow. Worth it, though. Now to look into climbing and platforms. Best of luck this season to all

Does anyone use the Wild Edge lineman's and/or tether? They're cheap and come with a prussic and carabineer. Just pulled the trigger on an Aerohunter Kite, and am looking to replace my old tether and lineman's.

I have the Lineman's Belt from a combo with the Stepps I got a while back, though I just use the Aerohunter Predator based one for now. It's serviceable, but also kinda big. The rope is pretty stiff compared to Predator, so easy to flip up (in theory), but also kinda hard to pack.

Similar to the Hunter's Specialties rope style strap? That's what I've been using and it's bulky as all get out.

Does anyone use the Wild Edge lineman's and/or tether? They're cheap and come with a prussic and carabineer. Just pulled the trigger on an Aerohunter Kite, and am looking to replace my old tether and lineman's.

I currently use and love them! However, I am using a CT Rollnlock and the WEI orange auto-locker carabiner instead of the prussic and tender.

Sorry, didn't see the "link to" photo. I'm using their Oplux versions!

Last edited:
Back