• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

In Season Deer-pression

HuntNorthEast

Alright everyone, I don't know if this happens to you, but it happens to me every year.

I already have a deer down but it was an assist. Little to my knowledge, my cousin had gut shot a deer, it wandered its way to me, and I finished it at 32 yards broadside. I have yet to fill a tag of my own, but then again I have only sat 3 times for opening week due to having a kid to take care of and a family life to balance obviously.

Every season when I start hammering on woods, they eventually go cold. Now, I know the deer will be back at the end of the season, but it forces me to the next piece, and the next piece. I feel like I run out of options fast, even though options are always endless. It puts me into a downward spiral, where I question EVERYTHING. I have a decent group of friends that I tend to and set up to hunt with me so it gets exhausting. I feel like I limit myself and my chances by doing this, but even if one of us hits our mark I consider it a success. I make hunting decisions based upon the group and I feel like I will be much more successful if I take care of myself once in a while. I find most of my success is solo. I will make time to sneak away and get these opportunities, but the problem is still not solved.

What do you do when you feel as though you are doing everything wrong when you aren't?

I know a hunt can change in a matter of seconds, as can a season. That moment you have been waiting for could be 30 yards out of sight when you decide to climb down. Ask me how I know...

I second guess my hunts constantly. It keeps my mind and options fresh but sometimes I feel as though I am not giving a spot enough effort or a chance to produce.

How do you get yourself out of this funk? Do you experience the same thing?

I always just tell myself to keep grinding. Don't give up, don't give in to the pressure and make it happen.

Input is appreciated!
HuntNorthEast1.png

It seems like you are putting a whole lot of pressure on yourself to "succeed". I'm sure wanted content for your Youtube channel could add to that perceived pressure as well. I get a little frustrated sometimes once I am well into the season, but the over analysis and questioning can mess with you if youre not careful. The puzzle and failure are part of the fun of this pursuit. It sounds like you are sucking the joy out of it for yourself in my opinion.

I also struggle with reducing my own chances to help my buddies kill one or get in the right spot, but I know at the end of my life I will look back just as fondly on those group hunts and team efforts as my own personal successes. I need to be better about pushing them out of the nest and letting them fly instead of handing things to them. Maybe you should try being more hands off with your buddies this season?

I can relate to you.

I think it is nice to hunt with others here and there to bounce ideas back and forth but I also think sometimes hunting with too many people with different values can hinder your hunt. Sometime you have to just stick to your gut and do what you think feels right. It is very rewarding when you have a game plan going in and it plays out. When this happens, it will help you build confidence and help you with your future hunts.

I find my most successful hunts for turkey and deer come when I stick with my gut and setup accordingly to the plan. My confidence goes down when I have second thoughts or start to contemplate with myself what to do. You know "YOU" the best so put your scouting in and trust your setup accordingly to what you see.

Last edited:
It seems like you are putting a whole lot of pressure on yourself to "succeed". I'm sure wanted content for your Youtube channel could add to that perceived pressure as well. I get a little frustrated sometimes once I am well into the season, but the over analysis and questioning can mess with you if youre not careful. The puzzle and failure are part of the fun of this pursuit. It sounds like you are sucking the joy out of it for yourself in my opinion.

I also struggle with reducing my own chances to help my buddies kill one or get in the right spot, but I know at the end of my life I will look back just as fondly on those group hunts and team efforts as my own personal successes. I need to be better about pushing them out of the nest and letting them fly instead of handing things to them. Maybe you should try being more hands off with your buddies this season?
I was going to make it clear this season in the first deer hunt video that the reason why we don't catch a lot on camera is actually because that is the least of our worries when the animal is within range. That is the reason the shot on my bear was not filmed, I was too busy getting ready for the shot and I knew the shutter sound from the Nikon would scare him given how close he was. I can understand how someone would think that is the pressure but it actually is not at all. My pressure comes from not just filling my freezer, but my sisters and grandfathers as well. My sister has 3 kids and I like to fill their freezer to help them out as much as I can. Also, my grandfather is 80 now and is on a monthly budget, so helping him is a huge factor too.

My early season is for does, for exactly this reason. Then, come rifle, I focus on a buck. I guess that's why I am feeling the pressure early this year, I HAVEN'T BEEN DOCUMENTING BUCKS AT ALL. :flushed: Have barely tried... So, my worry is exactly that I guess.

I feel that with your statement of let them spread their wings, you're probably right. I will have a talk with the boys, maybe it will make me feel a little better. So i guess your "succeed" comment is partially true, in the fact I am worried about filling a buck tag! I stress like a trout, easily.

Yeah sounds like a lot of self induced pressure and also sounds like you’re putting everyone else first and not taking care of yourself. Maybe you should reserve a spot or two you know to be good just for yourself and not include the friends all the time. No one will hunt like you want to hunt for yourself so you can’t expect them to be as careful or mindful about pressure or scent control or access or anything else... as you would for yourself.

Also, maybe consider reprioritizing what you want out of the hunt. As Dan says it’s not about the kill it’s about the journey. And for me personally, it’s mostly about communing with Mother Nature and a break from the real world. Also like to test my skills on predicting where deer are or will be and getting on them. The harvest for me is really just icing on the cake. Just some things to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can relate you.

I think it is nice to hunt with others here and there to bounce ideas back and forth but I also think sometimes hunting with too many people with different values can hinder your hunt. Sometime you have to just stick to your gut and do what you think feels right. It is very rewarding when you have a game plan going in and it plays out. When this happens, it will help you build confidence and help you with your future hunts.

I find my most successful hunts for turkey and deer come when I stick with my gut and setup accordingly to the plan. My confidence goes down when I have second thoughts or start to contemplate with myself what to do. You know "YOU" the best so put your scouting in and trust your setup accordingly to what you see.
EXACTLY! If I wrote a book on opening day, and the guys read it, that is exactly what the deer did word for word on everything I said. It was almost as if it was scripted. But, by setting them up in those scenarios, I put myself on the back burner, again. As we all know though, sometimes hunting isn't about hunting at all. Most of the time it's about being together and a filled tag just adds to it.

I was going to make it clear this season in the first deer hunt video that the reason why we don't catch a lot on camera is actually because that is the least of our worries when the animal is within range. That is the reason the shot on my bear was not filmed, I was too busy getting ready for the shot and I knew the shutter sound from the Nikon would scare him given how close he was. I can understand how someone would think that is the pressure but it actually is not at all. My pressure comes from not just filling my freezer, but my sisters and grandfathers as well. My sister has 3 kids and I like to fill their freezer to help them out as much as I can. Also, my grandfather is 80 now and is on a monthly budget, so helping him is a huge factor too.

My early season is for does, for exactly this reason. Then, come rifle, I focus on a buck. I guess that's why I am feeling the pressure early this year, I HAVEN'T BEEN DOCUMENTING BUCKS AT ALL. :flushed: Have barely tried... So, my worry is exactly that I guess.

I feel that with your statement of let them spread their wings, you're probably right. I will have a talk with the boys, maybe it will make me feel a little better. So i guess your "succeed" comment is partially true, in the fact I am worried about filling a buck tag! I stress like a trout, easily.

Again, a lot of pressure on yourself. Even to please grandpa and whoever else you think you need to, at some point that’s not super fair to you IMO if it’s ruining what you love about the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EXACTLY! If I wrote a book on opening day, and the guys read it, that is exactly what the deer did word for word on everything I said. It was almost as if it was scripted. But, by setting them up in those scenarios, I put myself on the back burner, again. As we all know though, sometimes hunting isn't about hunting at all. Most of the time it's about being together and a filled tag just adds to it.

It is about being together but the prize and goal IMO is about harvesting and crafting your skills and others as well. Otherwise, if it was just mainly about being "together", you minus will stay home with your buddies and have a few beers.

I also think it is important to be open and honest with the person you hunt with, vice versa. There are a lot of feelings that go through out minds as hunters that can boil up if you hide it for too long. A man's ego can only take him so far, I think integrity is a big attribute that will make people want to hunt with you or learn from you.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like you have too many irons in the fire. It's really hard to strike a good balance. I've run the whole spectrum myself. Right out of college I had a group of buddies with a lease. It seemed like myself and one other guy were doing all the work for the benefit of everyone else, which sounds a lot like your current situation. So after a couple frustrating years I dropped the lease and swung hard to the other side. I became obsessed with inches of antler and super secretive of my spots, my pictures......everything. I killed a pair of great PA bucks over the course of 3 years and I was on a giant double droptine in 2014 when I realized things were out of control. I was newly married and we had a son that was 4 months old, it was a Saturday in November and my wife had to attend to an unplanned family matter. She went and took care of business while I was left with my son when I should have been hunting (that's how I saw it at the time). Anyways, next time I checked my cam that double droptine buck was on it, working a scrape 23 yards from my treestand at 1:00pm. I blew up. I reacted so poorly and was being so selfish that it almost cost my marriage. After that, I had a real "come to Jesus" moment and realized that there are things in life way more important than deer hunting. Since then I started hunting with one buddy (the same one who did all the work with me at the lease). That has been "my crew" for the last 5 years. There were some hurt feelings and it wasn't easy to handle but, what I can tell you is that hunting is fun again. The pressure or anxiety is no longer there. Sharing the experience is the fun vs. the inches of antler. What I learned is this:

1. You can't serve too many masters. It ruins the experience and creates jealousy and
2. There are things in life way more important than a deer
3. Sharing the experience and enjoying the comradery is important
4. The best way for me was to keep my crew small.

Good luck this season. Hopefully you can find a way to avoid deer-pression.

It sounds to me like you have too many irons in the fire. It's really hard to strike a good balance. I've run the whole spectrum myself. Right out of college I had a group of buddies with a lease. It seemed like myself and one other guy were doing all the work for the benefit of everyone else, which sounds a lot like your current situation. So after a couple frustrating years I dropped the lease and swung hard to the other side. I became obsessed with inches of antler and super secretive of my spots, my pictures......everything. I killed a pair of great PA bucks over the course of 3 years and I was on a giant double droptine in 2014 when I realized things were out of control. I was newly married and we had a son that was 4 months old, it was a Saturday in November and my wife had to attend to an unplanned family matter. She went and took care of business while I was left with my son when I should have been hunting (that's how I saw it at the time). Anyways, next time I checked my cam that double droptine buck was on it, working a scrape 23 yards from my treestand at 1:00pm. I blew up. I reacted so poorly and was being so selfish that it almost cost my marriage. After that, I had a real "come to Jesus" moment and realized that there are things in life way more important than deer hunting. Since then I started hunting with one buddy (the same one who did all the work with me at the lease). That has been "my crew" for the last 5 years. There were some hurt feelings and it wasn't easy to handle but, what I can tell you is that hunting is fun again. The pressure or anxiety is no longer there. Sharing the experience is the fun vs. the inches of antler. What I learned is this:

1. You can't serve too many masters. It ruins the experience and creates jealousy and

Great input! I'm glad things worked out for you. My girlfriend of 12 years that I have 1, going on 2 kids with is pretty understanding, MOST of the time. The balance is important, and you're right, I am taking care of everyone so much that it has become a job. I don't mind it so much this year as one of my friends just moved home after 6 years and my cousin is just starting out. Next year is the nest push! I had the talk with my cousin tonight and he seems nervous to be left alone, but I told him I am always here for questions and to help drag! He took it pretty well after that. Happy hunting!

Did you say DOUBLE droptine?

What everyone else has said is good stuff and what I would echo. I can relate only in wanting to hunt with buddies, I don’t have the same pressure to fill freezers. I’ll tell you what tho, I usually hunt with a partner. Past year he sustained an injury that sidelined him all of bow season. He and I mesh well but our styles are different. The two seasons prior we hunted every time together, saw some deer but sparse. My solo hunting last year was an eye opener. Every time I sat I saw multiple deer. I also realized I was happier and enjoyed myself more. I came to the realization that maybe I want to hunt more by myself. It was tough to admit that but it was the truth, and truth is truth even if you don’t like it. I like what @Westdesign03 said, have a spot just for you. I plan to do that this season and see how it goes.

I second the statement that you can put too much pressure on yourself. Expectations can take the fun out of hunting,and that is no fun.
As far as questioning yourself,we all do that but i think the first impression is usually the right one and doubting yourself gets in the way.
I can say that but have to follow that advice myself.
The situation with your friends jist requires you to ask yourself what is most important to you. If you want to help them good,but you need to be sure about your goals.
I dont have anyone i am mentoring,so no one gets in my way hunting. I do have one friend i want to get on a deer,he has hunted hard for several years in bowseason with no success.

I have to guess that when you are making your plans, the first spot that jumps out to you is the spot that you are giving to your friends? Your mind knows that that is the best spot. A lot of times the second spot is given consideration as it relates to the first spot or is forced to be used just because the first spot is used. The second spot needs to evaluated for its own merits with no regards to the other spot.

I wanted to bring this thread back to life seeing as how my season starts on the 11th of this month.

This time though Pre-Season Deer-pression.

Anyone else feeling the pressure? I stress about everything hunting... I have a giant on cam that I know how to kill (previous years encounters). I am just worried about other people busting into the area, not getting the right conditions to hunt, and alllll of the other factors. Normally I wouldn't stress this much but given the location and such, one wrong move and he's into a zone I can't kill him... ask me how I know.

I need a boost. Anyone got some encouraging words?

I wanted to bring this thread back to life seeing as how my season starts on the 11th of this month.

This time though Pre-Season Deer-pression.

Anyone else feeling the pressure? I stress about everything hunting... I have a giant on cam that I know how to kill (previous years encounters). I am just worried about other people busting into the area, not getting the right conditions to hunt, and alllll of the other factors. Normally I wouldn't stress this much but given the location and such, one wrong move and he's into a zone I can't kill him... ask me how I know.

I need a boost. Anyone got some encouraging words?
Oh reeeeeaaaalllllly! I might have to just sniff around down in your area a little bit :grin:

I always feel unprepared by the time season gets close, which frustrates me a lot. My hunting location is far away, so it's not like I can just pop over periodically and work it in around my schedule.

Closest archery range for me is 25-30 minutes away. Closest gun range with lanes longer than 25 yards is over an hour.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

it waxes and wanes for me. i had a lot of (unrealistic) expectations my first season (last year), and feel like i have learned a lot from it, but still find myself slipping into the doubt area. particularly as a newbie, i feel like every time i learn something it makes me question something else. I've been going down the higher FOC rabbit hole recently to learn, and now am realizing that my existing setup may not be spined correctly. i'm shooting a 400 spine arrow with at 60 lbs with a 30 inch draw. when i was sold these arrows i was shooting at around 50-55 lbs, so i can always go back down a bit, because charts say i should be shooting a 350, but it feels (again, to this newbie) like it's shooting pretty dang accurately and not flying strangely when i was shooting at the range this past weekend. still doubt myself though.

And that buck takes each day as it comes. No prior planning just instinct and behaviors that have worked and learning from when things haven't worked out. We all like to make it an end result instead of a process. Embrace the process and the objective. Not just the objective.

Back