• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Inexpensive movable target

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
I was in Lowes a few weeks ago in the garden section and they had some faux paver "stones" made out of a dense rubber material similar to that horse stall mat. They were under $5.00 so I bought one to try out. I attached it to a couple of wood uprights yesterday and stuck it in a target frame holder. They do a pretty fair job of stopping an arrow out of my 56# longbow and are roughly deer colored. I can move this around easily to different distances and angles. Two or more back to back might be better, especially if you were using a compound also. Just wanted to share this and maybe get some feedback on ideas.

Rubberific Dual-Sided 16-in L x 16-in W x 0.75-in H Brown Rubber Paver in the Pavers & Stepping Stones department at Lowes.com

Attachments

• paver 1.jpg
    paver 1.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Paver 2.jpg
    Paver 2.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 118
I have to brace my leg against the target face and pull pretty hard to get it out. If the arrow goes near or into a previous hole, it is easier to get out. I may go to two thicknesses soon and see how that works.

They do tend to have some rubber crumble out of the hole when you pull out the arrows so they may not last really long, but I think having 2 back-to-back will help. I haven't tried this idea yet since I bought just one and need to go pick up a second one to try. Also, I haven't been shooting this target too long so that remains to be seen.

Another idea... I use cardboard boxes filled with old clothes....when the box gets worn, move clothes to another one. My daughter uses 3 boxes of diapers a month, which is more than enough to cycle through! Just really fill the box full to overflowing with anything cloth....it stops every arrow!

If you can get access to shrink wrap plastic, ball it up and put it in a burlap or grain bag it stops field tip arrows very well.
I also use shrink wrap in a grain bag. Run it thru a trash compactor, fill it again, repeat till full. Solid enough to stop my crossbow bolts & mini's arrows.

I was in Lowes a few weeks ago in the garden section and they had some faux paver "stones" made out of a dense rubber material similar to that horse stall mat. They were under $5.00 so I bought one to try out. I attached it to a couple of wood uprights yesterday and stuck it in a target frame holder. They do a pretty fair job of stopping an arrow out of my 56# longbow and are roughly deer colored. I can move this around easily to different distances and angles. Two or more back to back might be better, especially if you were using a compound also. Just wanted to share this and maybe get some feedback on ideas.

Rubberific Dual-Sided 16-in L x 16-in W x 0.75-in H Brown Rubber Paver in the Pavers & Stepping Stones department at Lowes.com
How long did this end up holding up for you? I'm currently broke and really need a new target

I make my own by saving all my clean soft plastic trash (bread bags for example) and stuffing it into a large grass seed bag. Once it’s jammed completely full I tie both ends off. I put a shoulder strap on it so I can carry it around. It gets leaned against a stake in my lawn for daily target practice. Occasionally I carry it out into the woods and use it for practicing odd shot scenarios. It’s only functional with field points. Broadheads blow right through it.

Not sure about inexpensive but moveable targets.

Attachments

• IMG_9237.png
    IMG_9237.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
I made one out of those interlocking foam floor mats. I used the cheapest ones from home depot ($20)and cut them in half and then stacked them between two boards like this:

I didn't do mine quite as tall, but it's worked good thru a lot of arrows. What' nice is when an area starts to get too worn out, I can just move the worn out pieces to the top or bottom of the stack and put less worn out ones in the middle. And when it gets real bad, another $20 and I can swap in fresh layers pretty easily. Swamp and Stomp did a similar build too, and it's worked great. I do like the wagon wheels above, now I may need to do a modification to mine!

Back