• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Input on access and setup

Basophobia94

Screenshot (2)_LI.jpgScreenshot (1)_LI.jpgScreenshot (6)_LI.jpgScreenshot (3)_LI.jpgScreenshot (4)_LI.jpg

The one labeled plum thicket bed (he has multiple beds within this thicket) is where I kicked up a shooter buck at about 10 yards away (coming from the north). His escape route was south and into that thicket of trees. I have never hunted this location before but i have hunted the ground around it. Beds were located all along the east side of the spring and all along the fence line south of the thicket bed.
Curious how anyone would access this...Beans on east and corn on the west, access from the north is skirting the corn field / south is through a pasture. I'm thinking this is an early season set up... Sep 1st through early October until they move to the east timber lot. Also any thoughts on locations where to sit without bumping with scent.

If there are any paths through the corn, depending on wind, I'd use that for access cover in the afternoon. I 100% would not walk the valley with the beds and cover during the day.

Morning sits you might be okay if you beat them back to bed while they are still on the beans (walking in from the corn side).

Once that corn is chopped I'd use those hedgerows to get close to the beds in the a.m.

If there are any paths through the corn, depending on wind, I'd use that for access cover in the afternoon. I 100% would not walk the valley with the beds and cover during the day.

Morning sits you might be okay if you beat them back to bed while they are still on the beans (walking in from the corn side).

Once that corn is chopped I'd use those hedgerows to get close to the beds in the a.m.

I did set some cameras although it invades his/their bedding area, but its so "inaccessible" and never been hunted (overlooked) in the last 14 years that i have been hunting, i would assume its a place where big bucks feel comfortable and will be hard to bump them permanently. The cameras will be out 2 weeks this weekend so ill check them and maybe I'll bring my machete :laughing:

I had a very similar set up last year and the only time I was able to get within shooting distance was a rainy windy day. Maybe wait for the right day that'll numb his senses a little. I snuck in along the waterway and I bet it took me 45 min- 1 hr. to get within distance. It was early season and he had 2 smaller bucks with him. The smaller bucks ended up busting me and that was the only time I saw him and those bucks last year.

I had a very similar set up last year and the only time I was able to get within shooting distance was a rainy windy day. Maybe wait for the right day that'll numb his senses a little.

Do you know, did they use that type of bedding throughout the rut or did they move to a bigger woodlot?

Do you know, did they use that type of bedding throughout the rut or did they move to a bigger woodlot?
I'm fairly certain he was out of there and took his buddies with him after that. There was corn in the fields and I'm guessing (but have no evidence) he moved beds after the corn was out and the area wasn't sheltered as well. I did find a bed when pheasant hunting later towards the end of season in one of the waterways higher on the hill that looked like a buck bed though. Strikingly similar set up and even topography though. Keep in touch and let me know how it works out for ya! Ha, I just saw you're from NE too. Don't worry it's not the same spot.

I'm fairly certain he was out of there and took his buddies with him after that. There was corn in the fields and I'm guessing (but have no evidence) he moved beds after the corn was out and the area wasn't sheltered as well. I did find a bed when pheasant hunting later towards the end of season in one of the waterways higher on the hill that looked like a buck bed though. Strikingly similar set up and even topography though. Keep in touch and let me know how it works out for ya!
Mmmmm, pheasant. :hearteyes: One of my fav eating game birds...

I'm fairly certain he was out of there and took his buddies with him after that. There was corn in the fields and I'm guessing (but have no evidence) he moved beds after the corn was out and the area wasn't sheltered as well. I did find a bed when pheasant hunting later towards the end of season in one of the waterways higher on the hill that looked like a buck bed though. Strikingly similar set up and even topography though. Keep in touch and let me know how it works out for ya! Ha, I just saw you're from NE too. Don't worry it's not the same spot.
Sounds good, thank you for your input. Hopefully I don't see you on Sep 1 or shortly after. :grimacing:

Back