• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Input on layering and decent deals

Arkie

SH Member
Now that I have spent the last few seasons chasing after saddles, stands, tech, etc.. I have my stuff dialed in and don’t plan to make any changes.

That said, it’s time to reevaluate my layering system. I’ve got some good stuff, others have seen too many briars or are bulkier than I want.

I’m looking at replacing my merino base layers and getting a set of bibs and I’d like some input on what others in a similar climate are using and where the best deals are.

Info on my region/hunting
AR (I will go to MO or KS for a week each year)
First month/month and a half of archery will be 80-90+
Rut will cool down some, maybe 40-60
Late season might get down to the 30s
I use a hang on or saddle depending on the situation and typically have long walks in.
I don’t mind wearing light layers in and putting on the rest once I’m up.

Look forward to see what others are using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love my light weight bibs (really just camo overalls....not technical) and also my thin, packable down layers....eddie bauer down jacket packs down to nothing and is very warm under a thin jacket

I use the First lite Furnance when it gets cold. I buy stuff off eBay used a lot of the time. I’ll probably invest in a down jacket at some point. I have the fanatic set from Sitka and the incinerator jacket. All I got used. That pretty much overs all my cold stuff.

My mid temps stuff I use the Sitka stratus.

Warm temps I just use whatever. I’d like to get some merino shirts so when I sweat like crazy I’ll dry faster.

I’m not a “sitka” die hard just happen to see a lot of good deals on used stuff from them. Good gear makes it nice because I use way less layers.

I use the First lite Furnance when it gets cold. I buy stuff off eBay used a lot of the time. I’ll probably invest in a down jacket at some point. I have the fanatic set from Sitka and the incinerator jacket. All I got used. That pretty much overs all my cold stuff.

My mid temps stuff I use the Sitka stratus.

Warm temps I just use whatever. I’d like to get some merino shirts so when I sweat like crazy I’ll dry faster.

I’m not a “sitka” die hard just happen to see a lot of good deals on used stuff from them. Good gear makes it nice because I use way less layers.

I’ve been watching for some deals on the Stratus set. What temps are you seeing that the Stratus bibs work well in?

I’ve been watching for some deals on the Stratus set. What temps are you seeing that the Stratus bibs work well in?

I’m not sure! This will be my first year in them. I’ve heard a lot of guys wear a base layer and them most the year until it gets bitter cold. I have a similar set from plythal which id say is accuracy’s about the Sitka stuff. I actually don’t have the bibs yet just the jacket too.

I’m in northern va and can see temps like what you described.
IMO merino is superior if you’re gonna be walking or moving alot, mil polyprop is awesome if you’re not. I’m a Scentlok geek I’ll admit but I wear it mostly for the quality and cuz it fits me well. All of my gear is windproof as I hunt windy areas and I’ve found if I can keep the wind out I can reduce layers and bulk. Scentlok makes awesome early season bibs. For tops I wear a wind brace jacket and layer with a heated vest when it gets cooler. I’ve found going that direction I can use minimal gear to maximum effect. This year I’m gonna try the new windproof reactor jacket with hoodie. 150gr primaloft and is designed to be worn separately or with/as a layer. I generally go lighter with bottom layer as I sweat a lot down there and the tree diaper keeps me warm. For my top I tend to walk in just wearing my baselayer and once I get situated in the tree and start cooling I’ll don my top. For that reason I go a bit heavier with my top layer as my upper body cools quicker and easier.
So to recap I wear Scentlok merino base layers, lightweight bibs for the lower and top is wind brace and soon to be reactor jacket. Also wear and lightly insulated hat

I’m in northern va and can see temps like what you described.
IMO merino is superior if you’re gonna be walking or moving alot, mil polyprop is awesome if you’re not. I’m a Scentlok geek I’ll admit but I wear it mostly for the quality and cuz it fits me well. All of my gear is windproof as I hunt windy areas and I’ve found if I can keep the wind out I can reduce layers and bulk. Scentlok makes awesome early season bibs. For tops I wear a wind brace jacket and layer with a heated vest when it gets cooler. I’ve found going that direction I can use minimal gear to maximum effect. This year I’m gonna try the new windproof reactor jacket with hoodie. 150gr primaloft and is designed to be worn separately or with/as a layer. I generally go lighter with bottom layer as I sweat a lot down there and the tree diaper keeps me warm. For my top I tend to walk in just wearing my baselayer and once I get situated in the tree and start cooling I’ll don my top. For that reason I go a bit heavier with my top layer as my upper body cools quicker and easier.
So to recap I wear Scentlok merino base layers, lightweight bibs for the lower and top is wind brace and soon to be reactor jacket. Also wear and lightly insulated hat

Thanks for the info.
Given all the back and forth you see about whether or not Scentlok works, it wasn’t even a brand I had considered. I like a nice set versatile bibs and wind proof makes a lot of difference.
I’ve got one set of scentlok pants that I’ve had for as long as I can remember. They were whisper quiet but they look like they’ve been through a shredder.
I’ll have to go check out a few pieces next week at BPS.

Thanks for the info.
Given all the back and forth you see about whether or not Scentlok works, it wasn’t even a brand I had considered. I like a nice set versatile bibs and wind proof makes a lot of difference.
I’ve got one set of scentlok pants that I’ve had for as long as I can remember. They were whisper quiet but they look like they’ve been through a shredder.

I only like to get windproof once I'm sat down. All wind or waterproofing membranes limit breathability, no matter what the label says. So, in order not to sweat, I pack in a Charles River windshirt and put it on under my outer layer. I'm not bothered as much by lack of windproof layer on my lower body.

Thanks for the info.

scent lok sells a lot of stuff up to 50% off at the end of the year. You can get pretty good quality clothing cheap. I sold my Stratus set last year and turned it into two scent lok sets. I loved the stratus set but it was just a little noisier then the SL revenant and stealth sets I bought. I like deer sub 10yds with my trad bow so thequieter the better.

For merino you won’t beat meriwool for price and quality.

Early season - Pants I am generally in either sitka equinox pant or mountain pants, mostly the mountain pants. Top is lightweight core hoodie and equinox jacket if needed.
Mid-season - same pants, but may add a base layer(merino/synthetic blend). Will layer over the core hoodie with a mid or heavy merino as needed. Will also use natural gear windproof fleece vest or jacket as needed.
Late season- May be the mid set up if warm. If it gets cold and windy, then I will go full Natural gear wintercepter fleece pants and jacket with merino base layers. If it gets real cold I can add a down jacket under the fleece jacket.

I also have a set of lightly insulated under armor(ridge reaper maybe) that I will use some times in the mid thru late periods.

scent lok sells a lot of stuff up to 50% off at the end of the year. You can get pretty good quality clothing cheap. I sold my Stratus set last year and turned it into two scent lok sets. I loved the stratus set but it was just a little noisier then the SL revenant and stealth sets I bought. I like deer sub 10yds with my trad bow so thequieter the better.

For merino you won’t beat meriwool for price and quality.

Wow, you really can’t beat the prices on the Meriwool stuff. Compare the same weights to First Lite and it’s half the cost.

Wow, you really can’t beat the prices on the Meriwool stuff. Compare the same weights to First Lite and it’s half the cost.

yep, and the quality is similar. I have several meriwoll pieces and some are several years old and worn almost daily between hunting and work in the off-season.
As long as you okay with your base layers not being camo. ;)

I wear Sitka stratus and layer merino under it. The colder it gets the heavier merino I wear. For the walk in, I normally have my merino on and then some light weight pants to avoid tearing up the merino, put bibs on at the tree.

And no my base layers are not camo. I honestly can’t tell a difference between the expensive stuff and cheap from Amazon. I just go by the “weight “

I wear Sitka stratus and layer merino under it. The colder it gets the heavier merino I wear. For the walk in, I normally have my merino on and then some light weight pants to avoid tearing up the merino, put bibs on at the tree.

And no my base layers are not camo. I honestly can’t tell a difference between the expensive stuff and cheap from Amazon. I just go by the “weight “
What brand are you referring to? Thanks

Something that makes a big difference for me is a union suit. One thing I found with saddle hunting is the wind /cold shooting up the jacket or layers coming untucked. This makes long sits in the cold way better!

My preference for base layers currently are the First Lite Wick series, due to the 37.5 moisture management and the additional durability/shape retention that the nylon percentage adds. I'm typically looking for my base layer to wick moisture and reduce conductive heat loss, as my mid- and outer-layers are my insulating pieces.

I attempted to try the Wiggy's Fishnet base layers last year, great concept, but I couldn't even physically get into the pants in my measured size (and very stiff and uncomfortable for the top)! However, Eberlestock just introduced the Airbase base layers, they look amazing; and I already ordered a set...

I'm in NE PA, and I'll see temps up to the 70-80s in the beginning of the season and down to zero (sometimes below, but rarely) during the end. I wear the same base layer sets up through all the temp fluctuations and just layer over as needed.

I only like to get windproof once I'm sat down. All wind or waterproofing membranes limit breathability, no matter what the label says. So, in order not to sweat, I pack in a Charles River windshirt and put it on under my outer layer. I'm not bothered as much by lack of windproof layer on my lower body.
Yup, I learned that lesson quick. Another reason I pack it in.

For mobility, I have come to appreciate full zip merino boot length base layers and full zip pants or bibs. I have added/subtracted the FL base layers as the temps change, or if it's colder and I walk out in base layers, put on the pants or bibs at the tree or in the tree without ever taking boots off.

I usually wait until there's a sale in order to buy. For example FL just ran a 40% sale. I've preferred merino the past several years (Icebreaker, Minus33, and First Light), in several different weights, but I've come to prefer the lightweight stuff as my first layer. I will be trying the poly Airbase stuff this year though.

Back