• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Inseason Practice

1simplemann

SH Member
How many of you practice during the season? If you don't, you should. For years, I have always tried to do some sort of practice. I try to shoot a couple arrows before or after work. This year, my schedule prevented that. I also keep a dirt arrow in my quiver. I try to shoot when I get down to make sure my equipment is still on. This year I haven't been doing that either. I should have.. Earlier in the year, I missed a 10pt. 25 yds. I hit a branch so I just chalked that up to that that's part of bowhunting. I didn't shoot my bow to double check.. Fast forward to Sunday. Last day of the season. I grunted in a unusual buck with character. 5 x 3 w/ really weird left side. 20 yds quartering away. Chip shot. Done it 75 times at least. I proceeded to put it thru his backstraps. I'm like ***! He trotted 50 yds and walked away. I was really mad and confused at the same time. I got down. Got My arrow and climbed back. I re shot right where he was standing. 6" high!. I started looking at my bow. My peep had slid. not sure how but it definitely wasn't like that at the beginning of the season. I went home and confirmed it at my target. Rookie mistakes cost me a nice buck. Check your equipment during the season! Shoot your equipment during the season! If there's a problem, you will know and you can fix it. Don't assume your stuff is good. ASSUME. You make an ASS out of of U and ME.

I practice on a deer target at home and keep a small bag target in the truck so I can take a couple shots when I get to my hunting spot if needed. I also carry a judo point in my quiver to shoot at random stuff in the woods once in a while.

I take a picture of my bow, mark every setting with a sharpie, and write down any critical measurements.

If anything gets off I start there.

I practiced regularly throughout last season. I still missed several animals last year. Completely and wounding.

I saw much more value in shooting long distance prior to out west, than I do in shooting a compound at whitetail at distances less than 30 yards.

Practice doesn’t hurt though, I reckon. Shooting a test shot with bow prior to a hunt seems like the medicine here.

Many years ago when I just started archery hunting, I hunted just about 30days for one buck only to miss him broadside within 20yds due to a bowsight issue.

I had shot a day or two before and all was good, but was nearly a foot low on that day. I thought I bumped the sight, might have been the peep. I'm still like, damn.

I periodically shoot arrows at my 2 pin distances (25 and 40 yards) with broadheads throughout the season to check I'm still shooting okay and that my setup is still tuned/sighted in.

If I bump my bow or it get soaked in the rain, then I get anxious and am more likely to do this. It's always still dead on though.

I have a 3d range in my yard out to 110yds, i shoot every day if im home, 10-20 a day minimum in off season and during 1 shot at each yardage from 10-100. Ill shoot in the moneings before afternoon hunts. I can put a bow down for over a year and still pick one up and drill tacs but shooting everyday really keeps the confidence high more than anything, if im away from home for 3-5 days without shooting i can feel my lack of confidence while hunting. Its all about the reps.

You are absolutely 100% correct. Sadly I don't follow this rule due to time constraints. Not an excuse just how it happens.

I shoot right up to season starts. If there is an issue like scope bump, crossbow drop, drug through a laurel patch with some pretty good torque, etc., then I definitely do a couple shots before getting back into the woods.

shooting slows down a bit during season but still let some fly to keep muscle memory up and make sure arrows still flying like i think they are. I also still climb in the yard double checking things or making tweaks.

Dont practice much during the season anymore But i do shoot an arrow every time before i get down in the mornings Just pick something on the ground and drill it Works for me

How many of you practice during the season? If you don't, you should. For years, I have always tried to do some sort of practice. I try to shoot a couple arrows before or after work. This year, my schedule prevented that. I also keep a dirt arrow in my quiver. I try to shoot when I get down to make sure my equipment is still on. This year I haven't been doing that either. I should have.. Earlier in the year, I missed a 10pt. 25 yds. I hit a branch so I just chalked that up to that that's part of bowhunting. I didn't shoot my bow to double check.. Fast forward to Sunday. Last day of the season. I grunted in a unusual buck with character. 5 x 3 w/ really weird left side. 20 yds quartering away. Chip shot. Done it 75 times at least. I proceeded to put it thru his backstraps. I'm like ***! He trotted 50 yds and walked away. I was really mad and confused at the same time. I got down. Got My arrow and climbed back. I re shot right where he was standing. 6" high!. I started looking at my bow. My peep had slid. not sure how but it definitely wasn't like that at the beginning of the season. I went home and confirmed it at my target. Rookie mistakes cost me a nice buck. Check your equipment during the season! Shoot your equipment during the season! If there's a problem, you will know and you can fix it. Don't assume your stuff is good. ASSUME. You make an ASS out of of U and ME.
I shoot before season a lot. I learned long ago the importance of in season practice is. I’ll practice with all my heavy cold weather cloths on because that’s when I do most of my serious hunting here in the Midwest. Tweeking your hunting cloths so you don’t catch a string on a hood cord. I payed that price once!

90% of the time during season, shoot at a 3d target....other 10 percent is for fun!

I take a picture of my bow, mark every setting with a sharpie, and write down any critical measurements.

If anything gets off I start there.

I practiced regularly throughout last season. I still missed several animals last year. Completely and wounding.

I saw much more value in shooting long distance prior to out west, than I do in shooting a compound at whitetail at distances less than 30 yards.

Practice doesn’t hurt though, I reckon. Shooting a test shot with bow prior to a hunt seems like the medicine here.

That picture of my bow saved me tonight when changing cables! Explain to me your sharpie marks. Are they like whiteness marks or what?

I love shooting a few GOOD arrows before I jump in the truck to go hunting.

It's actually rifle season here now but I'm headed to the bow shop tomorrow after work to get a couple hours of nice and quiet (I hope) range time.
I got a new release I wanna get the feel for and I might have some of the weight chopped off my Ethics inserts

That picture of my bow saved me tonight when changing cables! Explain to me your sharpie marks. Are they like whiteness marks or what?

Rest adjustments. Site adjustments. Mark edges of everything. If it moves, you’ll see it against the register. Or witness.

I use tape and sharpie marks for mine.713CE17E-5FBE-43D4-AE9E-5F3952D4B7F7.png713CE17E-5FBE-43D4-AE9E-5F3952D4B7F7.pngDFF56FDE-D10F-4268-B853-F1467A72659A.png

Attachments

• 692878BF-3826-4A89-B8FB-4BA7E9ACC0E1.png
    692878BF-3826-4A89-B8FB-4BA7E9ACC0E1.png
    975.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 87E03F0D-EFB9-450E-B4E7-6F8CB686A31F.png
    87E03F0D-EFB9-450E-B4E7-6F8CB686A31F.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • A070F065-7BAD-4EFB-A947-F4432D8E0730.png
    A070F065-7BAD-4EFB-A947-F4432D8E0730.png
    946.4 KB · Views: 3
Dont practice much during the season anymore But i do shoot an arrow every time before i get down in the mornings Just pick something on the ground and drill it Works for me
This was my routine for 30 years. I had a quiver full of arrows and 1 was dirt arrow. Now I have less but more expensive arrows and more expensive BH's. I'm hesitant to dull them so I got out of the practice. There have been several times over the years that I realized there was problem simply by shooting an arrow when I got down. I need to get back into that habit. I'm eating tag soup this year because I haven't been doing it lately. Shoot your bow during the season!

I don't view it as practice I view it as "I need some me time and the woods are too far away/can't hunt on lunch break but can shoot a target" and try to go as often as I can

Back