• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Invasive Species

Kurt

I was driving with my wife and we were wondering if the invasive species we are having to deal with up here in Mass is the same around the country? We are coming off 4 or 5 bad years of Gypsy moth infestation that has reeked havoc with the white oaks in the area. We are also dealing with Asian long horn beetles, and woolly adelgids are killing the hemlocks. Of the vegetative variety we are being overrun by multi flora rose, bittersweet, burning bush, and bar berry. What invasives are taking over your hunting spots? I'd say that the WMA across the street from my house has been getting sicker and sicker for the last ten years.

We are ground zero here in Fl...... Too many invasives to list. I read the numbers over 500

Last edited:
Sika deer are present, but not taking over in DE; the Whitetails still outcompete them here and they are managed with the whitetails. Hogs are trickling in, but depredation permits are needed I believe to harvest them. Snow geese are managed less stringently than Canada geese due to their invasive status as well, but are regulated. We also have “hitchhiker bugs” now (forget the real name, they’re apparently a huge problem though. So much so that some of my hunting spots have a mandatory-reporting system for them).

I've seen in Texas they have wild hog processing plants that'll buy pigs....i wish they'd catch on here in Florida

Ash borer, gypsy moths, Japanese knot weed up in NE PA.
I go to the Keys every summer for lobster season and we kill as many lion fish as we can- good for the environment and good eating. Iguanas are also becoming a problem in the Keys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the mountains of western NC we have plenty multi flora rose, tree of heaven, cudzu etc. I believe the emerald ash borer has made it down here. Really hoping we don’t get to meet the spotted lantern flies.

In the mountains of western NC we have plenty multi flora rose, tree of heaven, cudzu etc. I believe the emerald ash borer has made it down here. Really hoping we don’t get to meet the spotted lantern flies.

Spotted lantern! Those are the “hitchhiker bugs” I posted about above! I’m hunting there in a few hours and I couldn’t think of the name. We’re volun-told to report them in detail with pictures by DNR posters. I’ll take a pic if I end up at one of the tracts that has the warning out. They seem like a big fudging deal.

Another one to mention is the deer ked. I started seeing a few on deer I'd kill years ago, now the deer are infested. They're a 6 legged little bug and bite hard.

Another one to mention is the deer ked. I started seeing a few on deer I'd kill years ago, now the deer are infested. They're a 6 legged little bug and bite hard.
I hadn’t heard of these yet. Gross. No fun at all.

Middle Tennessee here.

Chinese Privet is pretty thick down here, but on the upside, it provides great bedding cover and food for deer. They eat it while staging from bed to destination food sources. Have shot deer eating pieces of privet that I had just cut for shooting lanes.

We are just now starting to see the wrath of emerald ash borers. Really sucks because we have a ton of ash trees, many of them good hunting trees, that are gonna die and rot and fall over.

Asian carp are in our bigger rivers.

Bush honeysuckle has taken over some wooded areas, but not everywhere. Makes it impossible to hunt in woods that are overgrown with honeysuckle, even with mature oak trees producing acorns and providing shade, the bushes thrive in some places. Thankfully we still got plenty of open hardwoods.

Kudzu patches of course cover everything, even full grown trees, but it doesn’t propagate very well, so you only see patches in certain places and might not see any for miles.

Sericea lespediza is pretty bad in some CRP and other grown up fields. Not a huge problem but it can be a nuisance.

Tree of heaven is invasive but I don’t see much of a problem with it.

The list of invasives goes on, but those are some big ones off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you live in or adjacent to Eastern PA, NJ, NY, VA, or DE, spotted lanternfly IS in your area and you probably have instructions from your DNR to report and kill them and their eggs. They were confirmed outside of PA last year in NJ and VA I believe, and just this past Winter confirmed in DE (dates might be a little off). All 5 locations have a genocidal moratorium on the pests as far as I’ve seen.
Been reading about them so I don’t take them home on my hunting gear, or to a zip code that hasn’t reported them yet. Check your DNR sites, Mid-Atlanteans.

Last edited:
Hogs and carp in MS. That’s what I focus on but I’m sure there are plenty of others

Middle Tennessee here.

Chinese Privet is pretty thick down here, but on the upside, it provides great bedding cover and food for deer. They eat it while staging from bed to destination food sources. Have shot deer eating pieces of privet that I had just cut for shooting lanes.

We are just now starting to see the wrath of emerald ash borers. Really sucks because we have a ton of ash trees, many of them good hunting trees, that are gonna die and rot and fall over.

Asian carp are in our bigger rivers.

Bush honeysuckle has taken over some wooded areas, but not everywhere. Makes it impossible to hunt in woods that are overgrown with honeysuckle, even with mature oak trees producing acorns and providing shade, the bushes thrive in some places. Thankfully we still got plenty of open hardwoods.

Kudzu patches of course cover everything, even full grown trees, but it doesn’t propagate very well, so you only see patches in certain places and might not see any for miles.

Sericea lespediza is pretty bad in some CRP and other grown up fields. Not a huge problem but it can be a nuisance.

Tree of heaven is invasive but I don’t see much of a problem with it.

The list of invasives goes on, but those are some big ones off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have found kudzu to be killer for early deer season, especially if you have a creek running through it.

Back