• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Iowa bound

Silvio

Well, this was my second trip to Iowa this year. Did some early spring late winter scouting and found some really good potential. After three Ppoints I drew my first archery tag and now I had to return to those areas and checked them out. My favorite spot turned out to be one of two great spots, but all in all I prepped six great sets for the season. Enjoy the pics
I was able to test out my custom sticks, straps, and aider. I was able to climb 21ft with a one step aider...I'll make some tweaks to some of my gear, but I'll say I put my climbing gear thru the paces...and found out what needs to be changed....I'm happy with the results20190824_062006.jpg20190824_204138.jpg20190824_061734.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing stuff like this makes me want to plan an out of state trip, then I remember I can barely make it to my lease only 20 minutes away most weekends due to school

Seeing stuff like this makes me want to plan an out of state trip, then I remember I can barely make it to my lease only 20 minutes away most weekends due to school
Bow hunting is full of enjoyment, but having a good education is also life rewarding. Remember don't let anything consume you, and give yourself a balance in life that includes other experiences. Mostly put God first in your life and love your family with all your heart brother
May The Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life
Silvio

I've got no idea how old you are but if you haven't settled down in life yet I'd say start planning now for when you're out of school. Get your points, save your money, start getting gear, and if you fall in love with someone make sure they're cool with you leaving for weeks at a time during hunting season lol. Then as soon as school is done you can start getting your feet wet. I wish I would have done the same.

Bow hunting is full of enjoyment, but having a good education is also life rewarding. Remember don't let anything consume you, and give yourself a balance in life that includes other experiences. Mostly put God first in your life and love your family with all your heart brother
May The Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life
Silvio
You are absolutely right, and while it hasn’t entirely consumed me yet, it has definitely influenced my life (I am majoring in Wildlife Ecology/Natural Resource Management)

I've got no idea how old you are but if you haven't settled down in life yet I'd say start planning now for when you're out of school. Get your points, save your money, start getting gear, and if you fall in love with someone make sure they're cool with you leaving for weeks at a time during hunting season lol. Then as soon as school is done you can start getting your feet wet. I wish I would have done the same.
I’m 19 and actually starting my second year of college today, so I do have a good bit of time to plan this out. Thanks for the motivation!

Dang it. Lol. What zone did you get drawn for. I had 3 points and didn't get drawn. Now i have 4 points. Was unsuccessful for zone 5. Good luck to you.

I’m 19 and actually starting my second year of college today, so I do have a good bit of time to plan this out. Thanks for the motivation!

Go west young man. Get a guide license and fish, hunt, and travel. Oh to be able to fly fish streams in the spring and run the mountains in the fall.

You are absolutely right, and while it hasn’t entirely consumed me yet, it has definitely influenced my life (I am majoring in Wildlife Ecology/Natural Resource Management)
If you ever get the opportunity in communications dont be afraid of it. Make sure you take advantage of it...take a course or two in this regard because it will help you in your presentation skills and writing skills

Go west young man. Get a guide license and fish, hunt, and travel. Oh to be able to fly fish streams in the spring and run the mountains in the fall.
After this year I should be able to start traveling to different areas around the country for internships with different agencies. I missed my chance last year, there was a paid, yearlong internship in Hawaii focusing on managing wild hog and axis deer populations, sounded like the perfect reason to use a saddle

If you ever get the opportunity in communications dont be afraid of it. Make sure you take advantage of it...take a course or two in this regard because it will help you in your presentation skills and writing skills
I’m actually scheduled in a communications class this year, not entirely in my comfort zone but it’ll be worth it!

I’m actually scheduled in a communications class this year, not entirely in my comfort zone but it’ll be worth it!
I was offered a radio hoot owl broadcast many years ago that led to multiple Wildlife jobs and writing opportunities. Because of that radio experience my career went in a couple of directions that would otherwise be a mute point. Be flexable and do things pro-bono and things will come your way. Remember, like President Reagan once said..."trust but verify" good luck and God Bless

I was offered a radio hoot owl broadcast many years ago that led to multiple Wildlife jobs and writing opportunities. Because of that radio experience my career went in a couple of directions that would otherwise be a mute point. Be flexable and do things pro-bono and things will come your way. Remember, like President Reagan once said..."trust but verify" good luck and God Bless
Thanks for the advice!

Well the first two days in Iowa were nothing short of getting wet, falling in the river, and having to wash my scent lok clothing. The weather finally broke this morning about 8am but the winds were pretty heavy with short gusts the rest of the day. I literally had a jumbo underneath me at 10yrds and couldnt get a shot off...then this afternoon I heard a buck trail gruntting at 5:39pm. It was a six point leading a 3yr old right underneath me...they actually laid down for twenty minutes at 20yrds. I'm going to hold off for something special...cant really pass a deer like this in Michigan but iowa has spectacular buck age structure.Screenshot_20191003-202347_Gallery.jpg

Hunting from a saddle the opening week of Iowa's deer season was tremendous. No clink or clanks you get from a tree stand. Being able to hide behind your tree is the best defense to remain undetected I've ever experienced. I could have shot that buck above for 10 minutes st 7 to 20 yards...drew on him and his little buddy several times and the never knew I was there. Although I didnt harvest a buck on this trip it was very successful for early season success. Found one very defined scrape...and buck movements that will help me when I go back...keep you all posted
May The Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your LifeScreenshot_20191007-215020_Gallery.jpg

Hunting from a saddle the opening week of Iowa's deer season was tremendous. No clink or clanks you get from a tree stand. Being able to hide behind your tree is the best defense to remain undetected I've ever experienced. I could have shot that buck above for 10 minutes st 7 to 20 yards...drew on him and his little buddy several times and the never knew I was there. Although I didnt harvest a buck on this trip it was very successful for early season success. Found one very defined scrape...and buck movements that will help me when I go back...keep you all posted
May The Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your LifeView attachment 17930
Absolutely do not shoot no 120" deer. I was there In 2017. Seen 36 bucks in 2 weeks. I understand you cant kill them kinda deer in Michigan but you dont go to Iowa to kill a 120 fast. They are literally a dime a dozen. Like shooting fish in a barrel

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Absolutely do not shoot no 120" deer. I was there In 2017. Seen 36 bucks in 2 weeks. I understand you cant kill them kinda deer in Michigan but you dont go to Iowa to kill a 120 fast. They are literally a dime a dozen. Like shooting fish in a barrel

Yes, I know what your saying is very true...I've killed several 160 archery deer here in Michigan.. I'll spend the nxt couple of weeks strategizing on what I learned this past week and then go back with some alternatives that should help me score. Thanks for your encouragement

Yes, I know what your saying is very true...I've killed several 160 archery deer here in Michigan.. I'll spend the nxt couple of weeks strategizing on what I learned this past week and then go back with some alternatives that should help me score. Thanks for your encouragement
Good luck my man

Back