• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Iphone X and onx hunt...burns

sdonx

SH Member
First day of Ohio scouting went great...well except the continual rain. I scout hard thru all the thick stuff, thorns, swamps...whatever. So as my left thigh started hurting i figured it was a thorn and expected blood when i pulled off my pants at the end of the day. No blood but here’s my mystery. I was stumped until it started peeling.
I couldn’t upload a picture? Maybe too much skin...kinda gross anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First day of Ohio scouting went great...well except the continual rain. I scout hard thru all the thick stuff, thorns, swamps...whatever. So as my left thigh started hurting i figured it was a thorn and expected blood when i pulled off my pants at the end of the day. No blood but here’s my mystery. I was stumped until it started peeling.
I couldn’t upload a picture? Maybe too much skin...kinda gross anyway.

No pics...

Sorry I can’t bring myself to treat my $1000 iPhone like my rugged, $150 garmin gpsmap 64.

That said did you have it in airplane mode? The gps apps juice the hell out of my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Could it be just a battery thermal run off or does it do that often?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I love Onx but your right. I dont like using my phone for gos. I carry my garmin as a backup.
What i was doing wrong was just sticking it in my picket without shutting the screen off. And i would face the screen toward my skin to protect it.
87eeceab476ac9b347a211fc0106977c.png

Disagree 100% !!! OnX, ustopo, etc... Whatever GPS system you use, so much better than buying a GPS. Screen resolution is amazing, they are very accurate, can share waypoints, batteries last forever when in airplane mode, a lot of new ones are waterproof, no need for 2 devices, I'm taking my phone anyway, downloading high quality maps is so easy, charging takes 30 min, millions are made and used compared to the small market for GPS's. I could see somebody buying a GPS watch just in case, but standalone handheld GPS is on it's way out for most uses.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I don't have OnX but I've had a "hot" phone before too when using my hunting app. Those were short jaunts into a local area for a short sit. I've often thought about carrying multiple devices too because depending on where you are it could be a combination of things. I've been a "dumb" phone guy until now so I'm using my hunting app of choice more often. Phones now seem to have more settings so I'll go "GPS Only" and try it tonight. Still though, when l'm far off the beaten path or deep in some holler it will always be 1) GPS, 2) map & compass and 3) then the phone. Call me the ol' Boy Scout or Ol' Fashioned I like the redundancy.

The only reason I trended toward my phone was the large screen and much better resolution. I can't see well these days. I was looking at a bigger Garmin 276Cx it's huge and big $$. I bought a couple external batteries that work great. The issue is for me that my cell phone is my work horse when I take it into the wild, bad things happen.

The only reason I trended toward my phone was the large screen and much better resolution. I can't see well these days. I was looking at a bigger Garmin 276Cx it's huge and big $$. I bought a couple external batteries that work great. The issue is for me that my cell phone is my work horse when I take it into the wild, bad things happen.

Could probably turn off the cell data on your phone so that you could still get phone calls but your phone isn't trying to update the map all the time. I know turning it to airplane mode helps.

I haven’t used a dedicated gps in 4 years.
This is my first year playing around with OnX, but I have used other aerial imaging and GPX apps the whole time. I trust my phone... especially now that it is waterproof.

Also, I make sure I have a full understanding of the direction of my way out. Regardless of what location devices I have. Any area I am not fully familiar with gets a printed aerial for my navigation out “just in case”.

Just to add to this...

I used exclusively my phone for 4 hiking vacations and an elk hunting trip in the mountains of Colorado. I put over 30 miles on the GPS per hiking trip, and over 45 miles on the hunting trip. The area we were in is 40 miles from the nearest cell reception, so there was no backup navigation.

I thought about this but have not tried it. Would an old iphone work? It should right fine for GPS only?

I thought about this but have not tried it. Would an old iphone work? It should right fine for GPS only?

The apps may push that older cpu hard. It would either slow down the app, or drain the battery on the phone. With a backup battery, you should be fine.

Also, I make sure I have a full understanding of the direction of my way out. Regardless of what location devices I have. Any area I am not fully familiar with gets a printed aerial for my navigation out “just in case”.

x2

I have a compass with me at all times and always note which direction I have to to walk to get out. Not necessarily to get right back to the truck, but to get out to a road. Love onX on my iPhone with waterproof case but always have a backup plan.

x2

I have a compass with me at all times and always note which direction I have to to walk to get out. Not necessarily to get right back to the truck, but to get out to a road. Love onX on my iPhone with waterproof case but always have a backup plan.

True, I just don’t make that backup plan another device. A few sheets of paper are a cheap and light alternative.

I have an older phone and my hunting app crushes my battery. Used it last night for a 7 hour scout, hang & hunt and it was down from full to 40%. I already noted that a cell signal in the remote area is spotty. I sometimes take a photo of the map on the phone and then use the gps or a compass. Call it old school technique with a modern twist?

Back