• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Is 1sticking really the way to climb?

Dirk Dangler

Is 1 sticking really the best way to
climb or is it one stick too many? I’m sold on SRT when you can do it, but you can’t pre-set every spot...

climb or is it one stick too many? I’m sold on SRT when you can do it, but you can’t pre-set every spot...
In my pack I always carry SRT gear, a spool of paracord to set presets, and a EWO one stick. SRT is my first choice, one stick is next. The two methods are light enough to carry both and have options.

I do both for that exact reason..I have my DRT rope and my platform anyway, so I climb using whichever works better for the situation. And if I climb with the platform I have the rope to rappel down.
It works for about any situation.

Obviously onesticking is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like one sticking but it's just super popular this off-season. Every time it was brought up on this sight around a year ago somebody would say it was too dangerous and multiple people were trying to come up with a tether system that had a built in rip stop or similar. Don't here about that now. Not saying it's a problem just an observation. My guess is in a year there will be more excitement in a different system that has it's pro's and con's...

I really like one sticking but it's just super popular this off-season. Every time it was brought up on this sight around a year ago somebody would say it was too dangerous and multiple people were trying to come up with a tether system that had a built in rip stop or similar. Don't here about that now. Not saying it's a problem just an observation. My guess is in a year there will be more excitement in a different system that has it's pro's and con's...
advancing the tether up the tree with the aid of your gear hooks has helped a lot of people with not allowing so much slack into the system 1 sticking as well.

I’m sold on SRT when you can do it, but you can’t pre-set every spot...
I was going SRT too until I looked at it real hard. I like to have the option of climbing any tree, any time so I decided to start with one sticking. Sticks would be ok, but I wanted the lightest setup I could get since I’m older and like to go deep. I’ll add sticks to my kit next year....like to have choices.

Last edited:
I think its got its place but takes practice to be efficient just like anything else. I think it comes down to your specific style. Its a fun way to climb and can be a very effective method.

Hi everyone I’m a new member. Just so you know I just started saddle hunting last year. I had a hunting accident last bow season. Yep I let my tether slide over my left thumb and all my body weight was caught between the rope and tree. Yes it broke it. Put a damper on the rest of my season. I had to hunt out of a ground blind the rest of the season. Is there anyone around the Jacksonville Florida area that might could help me learn ( the right way to climb). I’m really wanting to 1 stick.

Hi everyone I’m a new member. Just so you know I just started saddle hunting last year. I had a hunting accident last bow season. Yep I let my tether slide over my left thumb and all my body weight was caught between the rope and tree. Yes it broke it. Put a damper on the rest of my season. I had to hunt out of a ground blind the rest of the season. Is there anyone around the Jacksonville Florida area that might could help me learn ( the right way to climb). I’m really wanting to 1 stick.

Maybe you should start with multiple sticks first to get comfortable with it. Then you never know may not even want to go to one sticking. Only advice I can give you keep anything that you want to keep out of the bite. Take your time and double check where your hands are before you weight the rope. Good luck.

Maybe you should start with multiple sticks first to get comfortable with it. Then you never know may not even want to go to one sticking. Only advice I can give you keep anything that you want to keep out of the bite. Take your time and double check where your hands are before you weight the rope. Good luck.

One sticking then preset that tree I just climbed with paracord for SRT later if I think I will be back.

Thank y’all I’ll try and keep practicing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One stick is great but its not the only way or even the best way. Honestly full size sticks are the easiest and with the right pack setup you wouldn't notice the extra weight or bulkiness. Your climbing method most of the time follow your needs and your hunting philsophy. At this point of life, all my hunting is local public lands and I'm walking less than 2 miles(MAX, usually 1ish mile) in. A full set of Hawk Heliums at 12lbs wouldnt be that much more of a burden then my 7 lbs of 1stick/platform/rappel rope.

This is even more true if you are private lands where you can pre-set. But 1 stick does required alot more practice, and if you do not think you have the time dedicated to be comfortable with it, Nothing wrong with sticks or even screw in steps.

Back