• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Is 3 miles hike in worth it? Or can I try a smarter and closer setup plan?

HuumanCreed

SH Member
Just wanted some opinions. This is my primary hunting location last season. Its a reservoir with archery only. I'm planning to go scout it when I can. But I just want to know if I'm going deeper then what is really needed due to the layout of the area. The blue Xs would be around 2.5 and 3 miles in while the yellow Xs is about 1-1.5 miles. My plan is to use the hiking/fire trail in red to get as far as possible, then cut north, setup between bedding and food which are the farms up north.

Obviously I'll try to find bedding, but I was wondering how far are bedding usually from food source? Is going as deep as possible into the peninsula not smart because the deer are bedding a lot closer then I plan?

Trying to setup a game plan because I can't be spending all day walking around the woods (honey do list) even if I want to, need to maximizes my time. Obviously I am not going to know the situation until I have boot in the ground, but suggestions for smart scouting plan would be appreciated.

Would it be possible to find bedding in the white circles or I still need to check out the purple circle?

If I'm doing this completely wrong, please let me know too. I'm pretty thick skins and your advice would only help, not hurt. Thank you.

1681482996811.png

My first question would be are you after any deer or a specific deer? Is is unreasonable at face value for deer to be bedding on that peninsula, no, not at all. Deer will walk 2-3 miles no problem for primo food sources for a safe place to sleep. Would you be walking past deer, probably. But if that is where the deer you are after lives, that is where he lives and that's where you have to kill him.

Access/people wise, 2-3 miles depends. I lived pretty close to there for 2 years, and I am aware of it reputationally as a pretty massively pressured area, but I never hunted it. I would imagine that you will outwalk some riffraff, but a fair amount of guys will walk that far if it is a trail or road most of the way. 2-3 miles of bushwacking if that is the case, you could expect a lot more solitude. Don't forget too, access from water and other access points.

My first question would be are you after any deer or a specific deer? Is is unreasonable at face value for deer to be bedding on that peninsula, no, not at all. Deer will walk 2-3 miles no problem for primo food sources for a safe place to sleep. Would you be walking past deer, probably. But if that is where the deer you are after lives, that is where he lives and that's where you have to kill him.

Access/people wise, 2-3 miles depends. I lived pretty close to there for 2 years, and I am aware of it reputationally as a pretty massively pressured area, but I never hunted it. I would imagine that you will outwalk some riffraff, but a fair amount of guys will walk that far if it is a trail or road most of the way. 2-3 miles of bushwacking if that is the case, you could expect a lot more solitude. Don't forget too, access from water and other access points.

It looks like there's a very established logging road that goes all the way back. I'm wondering if a buck would want to land lock himself like that unless the wind was in his favor. I'd be willing to bet that some doe go there and mature buck are only there when the win comes out of the west.

From my limited experience, no, the long hike likely isn't worth it as there's probably deer available closer to the car. Or at least that's what I've found out hunting different MD archery only places, realized I was walking past deer to get to where I thought was deer, and when I started just trying to find them wherever instead of thinking I had to walk in deep, had some success closer to the truck. Not a big buck slayer so your experience and advice from others may vary.

U need a boat
Or less kids to feed and take care of so I have money and time for a boat.

I'm not looking for any particular deer. With deciding to use only a trad bow next season, I'm trying to learn how to get closer to trails and tracks, AND would be extremely happy with a doe. Need to change my mindset of being within compound bow range. I'm honestly considering staying on the ground with some type of portable blinds but at this moment I have no stalking skill at all so the need to be able to move quickly is not relevant.

My best luck with that entire piece is work from the smallest parking areas & go the opposite way that most traffic does. I’ve hiked 2ish miles there to setup but also walked past good ground to do it…….. scout most of the points at the water & against the property lines at the top. That’s where most of the deer are bedded. Then rule out all the ones that put you right on the hiking trail………. I shot a heavy 11pt 140s deer not 200 yds from where a I gave you that pin. But it was in January, that place gets hammered early & rut. Hard to get away from traffic. There are other spots that are right near there with good deer & little traffic.

My best luck with that entire piece is work from the smallest parking areas & go the opposite way that most traffic does. I’ve hiked 2ish miles there to setup but also walked past good ground to do it…….. scout most of the points at the water & against the property lines at the top. That’s where most of the deer are bedded. Then rule out all the ones that put you right on the hiking trail………. I shot a heavy 11pt 140s deer not 200 yds from where a I gave you that pin. But it was in January, that place gets hammered early & rut. Hard to get away from traffic. There are other spots that are right near there with good deer & little traffic.
I shot a doe close to that pin too!

Its a long off season and I might try other area too. But I just didnt want to give up on the area until I at least put effort into going in deeper then usual.

Don’t let me stop you, hunt it……… just don’t fall into the trap that your going to outwalk other hunters ( it’s basically 300-500yd circular strip that’s miles long )

I agree that going deep is not necessarily the best option if you are just after a deer. My thought is that most people will use the outwalk everyone else strategy and miss some overlooked pockets near access. A long narrow strip is going to make people want to go to the back. Think outside the box and hunt your way in.

After season scouting told me that the 8 pointer that I shot last year was bedding within 60 yards or so of where I used to park my truck to hunt the tree where I killed him but last season I went past that parking area on my e-bike and snuck in from a different direction. He knew when anyone parked there to hunt and just held tight until they left. He was also bedded about 60 yards from my stand. That bedding area was right beside the road and thick with alders and swale grass. Everyone but me was parking right beside him and hiking in past him while he lay there laughing at them :tearsofjoy:

Back