• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Is canting a must in a saddle?

HuumanCreed

SH Member
Simple question. I gap shoot, l can group decently at 20 yards vertically and its what I'm most confident in. So is canting a must in a saddle? I know its me and before l put effort in trying to improve my form in a canting posture. Just wanted to know if its a must?

This is difference between my shooting straight and canting at this moment. Screenshot_20230406-224309_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20230406-223930_Photos.jpg

It is out of a JX3 when the target is in tight. I prefer a straighter bow but my string hits the seat without a large cant at close range. I practice both and feel good (now) inside 20 with a heavy cant. So far I have found the hybrid a little limiting with traditional gear ..... still working on it. I never had any problems with my soft saddle, but sometimes body position (or anything else for that matter) makes us cant, so good to practice the less dominant position just in case.

If you can shoot vertical, then I recommend it. You will have better limb tip clearance on the tree trunk, branches, etc.
Ideally, you really should be able to shoot a stick bow in any position. But if I had to choose only one, it would bbe vertical.

Agreed. There is no handicap to shooting vertical. I am at 1:00 when I shoot. I can cant :) the bow to 2;00 and shoot with a little adjustment. Try small adjustments for short periods. If it doesn’t feel natural than stick to vertical

My concern is the arrow falling off the rest while l move around trying to get a shot. A cant logical should help with arrow security.

One of these are a must when hunting

It is out of a JX3 when the target is in tight. I prefer a straighter bow but my string hits the seat without a large cant at close range. I practice both and feel good (now) inside 20 with a heavy cant. So far I have found the hybrid a little limiting with traditional gear ..... still working on it. I never had any problems with my soft saddle, but sometimes body position (or anything else for that matter) makes us cant, so good to practice the less dominant position just in case.

I have been practicing for the last couple of weeks out of my JX 3. The wide seat is the biggest challenge, but I think I have got it to where it will work. I’m shooting a pretty healthy Cant on those very close, steeply angle shots, i’ve been shooting some Uukha super curve limbs, and a shorter bow has also made it a lot easier. Really glad that I got this figured out.

Seems like majority of saddle hunters are always saying they can't do this and can't do that.

If u getting close to string contacting the seat aren't u dropping ur bow arm much to low to begin with?

Seems like majority of saddle hunters are always saying they can't do this and can't do that.

If u getting close to string contacting the seat aren't u dropping ur bow arm much to low to begin with?

Its more of a geometry issue on steeply angled shots when the animal is very close to the tree you are sitting in. Another thing I have started doing at least when hunting bears is to not climb as high in the tree. That also changes the angle in a good way for a trad bow hunter.

Its more of a geometry issue on steeply angled shots when the animal is very close to the tree you are sitting in. Another thing I have started doing at least when hunting bears is to not climb as high in the tree. That also changes the angle in a good way for a trad bow hunter.
I understand completely...missed a nice buck last year.I was up over 20ft and he was at 11yd.I didn't pay attention to my shooting form and paid the price....i forgot to tilt the axis and keep my shoulders straight and dropped the bow arm

Simple question. I gap shoot, l can group decently at 20 yards vertically and its what I'm most confident in. So is canting a must in a saddle? I know its me and before l put effort in trying to improve my form in a canting posture. Just wanted to know if its a must?

This is difference between my shooting straight and canting at this moment. View attachment 83594View attachment 83595
Not to derail, are those Aae trad vanes?

Back