• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Is this a saddle

aclawrence

Hey guys I was just reading a Facebook post where someone asked what a saddle was. I went to my OnX to screen shot what I think is a saddle and when I went back I couldn’t find the Facebook post anywhere. I thought I’d post the picture here to get y’alls opinion. I can read a topo but I may not even be correct on what a saddle is. What say ye?
f0d64a4d759a566543ace689df1212f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I had picked that spot out on the map to go look at and when I got there the actual saddle part was a good bit of a dip. It was a cool terrain feature and a scrape was right there in the middle.

They'll use that alot while cruising to access the side of the hill, they'll also circle that rounded point! These are good features to recognize, ones that tie additional features together are even more of a pinch point!

Most def. Depends on the wood structure if it’s traveled or not..

42738c43ca51e87f02254124fac2b816.jpg

Which way do they use the saddle? Red mark or green?

42738c43ca51e87f02254124fac2b816.jpg

Which way do they use the saddle? Red mark or green?

Generally green mark, but sometimes will walk the side hill and contour along with the land (i.e., in the direction of the red mark but in a curved line like the topo line under it). Mature bucks will generally use the “military ridge,” which is the part of a hillside where they’re near the top but not up so high that a human below could see their silhouette against the sky. They cross through saddles to avoid going up over ridge tops where they’re visible to everyone and everything from a long way away. It’s also less of a climb to cross a ridge through the saddle than to go up over the top, and deer don’t want to expend any more energy moving around than is required to stay safe, eat, and mate.

Generally green but they run edges to prevent being sky lined. If you are sitting in the middle of the saddle you should have a opportunity no matter where the animals travel. Mock scrape should do well in the area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back