• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Is this safe??

Reedler

SH Member
593c854f59861abbb19d46ab0c52f601.jpg

Newbie question...
I’d like to reduce the number of carabiners in my setup, and I’ve noticed some people are keeping their lineman’s belt attached to the saddle. I was going to just girth hitch a figure 8 on a bite to my loop, but the figure 8 left my setup kinda bulky. Will this double overhand knot tied directly to the loop be safe for climbing or should I go a different route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

593c854f59861abbb19d46ab0c52f601.jpg

Newbie question...
I’d like to reduce the number of carabiners in my setup, and I’ve noticed some people are keeping their lineman’s belt attached to the saddle. I was going to just girth hitch a figure 8 on a bite to my loop, but the figure 8 left my setup kinda bulky. Will this double overhand knot tied directly to the loop be safe for climbing or should I go a different route?

If the rope is rated properly then just put a stopper knot on that tag end and you should be ok. But you NEED a stopper knot incase that knot slips. I am not a professional so if someone else says differently, ask them

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

The picture I posted is actually a poacher’s knot. Sorry, still learning the names of these different knots and things.

The Poacher's knot will tighten down and hold your lineman's in one spot on your saddle loop, the figure 8 will allow it to slide along the loop.

Thanks! Took me a minute, but I finally got that dressed up. I’ll probably end up using that one.

I do not consider scaffold or poacher's knots safe when hitched to something that is not both rigid and wide (they work great on carabiner's). Try this. Tie a poacher's knot and then put a piece of paracord through the loop. Pull hard. The poacher's knot will pull the paracord through itself and it will become untied and totally fail. Paracord is one end of the spectrum. The far end is a rigid steel pole 10 feet long. Your lineman's loops are more similar to paracord than they are the steel pole. Those knots are trying to untie themselves the whole time and the only thing stopping it is what's inside. Now, it probably seems impossible by pulling with your hands. Put a 200 lbs steel ball in your saddle and drop it 3 or 4 feet. High force scenarios are nonintuitive.

Do what you want, but life is dangerous enough without purposefully doing something to save a fraction of bulk but has known issues.

Back