• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Issues with wild edge perch

Hardwood reaper

So I was one of many that ordered the perch shortly after it's release. I have to say there are things I like but also some major drawbacks. First what I like: it's incredibly lightweight and packable in conjunction with WE steps (I carry 5) and it's a perfect size and shape for my style. Now the number one thing I don't like which has me wanting to get rid of it for another set up is I CANNOT get it to stay solid no matter what I try l. I live in Florida and 80% or better I find myself in pine trees which definitely is less than ideal for WE steps much less adding a platform to the mix. I cam and recam and get a good solid feel then as soon as I step up it starts to get play which makes me fidget in the saddle where I can't remain still for more than a few minutes. Anyone else had this problem? I know there's people saying they have play so I guess I'm really asking has anyone solved this problemm

Hate to tell you but that’s why I never ordered a perch myself. I could see that even in the review videos online. I don’t like heights to begin with and that would not be a good recipe for me. It looks to me that the perch tends to slightly bed/warp the step when it’s camed down. With that kind of pressure I have no idea how you’ll get a consistent fit.

I use WE steps a lot of the time and I love them but hated them in the beginning. Ended up being because I never stretched the ropes when I got them. After I learned that and did that all my problems went away. If you haven’t stretched your ropes before I wonder if it has anything to do with how the perch fits.

If you want a nice solid problem-free platform, I encourage you to check out the ridge runner by out on a limb. Extremely solid design that doesnt flex or wiggle in the tree and nice shape/size. I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hate to tell you but that’s why I never ordered a perch myself. I could see that even in the review videos online. I don’t like heights to begin with and that would not be a good recipe for me. It looks to me that the perch tends to slightly bed/warp the step when it’s camed down. With that kind of pressure I have no idea how you’ll get a consistent fit.

I use WE steps a lot of the time and I love them but hated them in the beginning. Ended up being because I never stretched the ropes when I got them. After I learned that and did that all my problems went away. If you haven’t stretched your ropes before I wonder if it has anything to do with how the perch fits.

If you want a nice solid problem-free platform, I encourage you to check out the ridge runner by out on a limb. Extremely solid design that doesnt flex or wiggle in the tree and nice shape/size. I love mine.

I have stretched the ropes I love my steps it's just the darn perch that always gives me hell and YES at least with my weight it's definitely bends your top step I'm 6'5 and 225lbs though

I used to work as a scaffold builder so height don't bother me one bit it's more a issue of comfort for me

I used to work as a scaffold builder so height don't bother me one bit it's more a issue of comfort for me

Gotcha. Yeah I mean it’s one of those things where I want to like it. The concept is cool for sure. I just wasn’t impressed when I saw how it acted. Not sure what else to tell ya other than trying a different platform.

I was having the same issues mentioned above.

1. The step would come ever so slightly a little loose when using the perch and the contact arms would begin to pull away from the tree.

Fix: instead of caming the perch over like the steps where you hear the nice solid thud, adjust the rope so the step is about to cam but doesn’t due to the rope being so tight. Where the bottom of the step is just touching the tree. Ensure the arms of the step are even em with or slightly above the rope. Then when you apply your body weight, it will silently cam with an extreme hold and the step will not become loose and will be extremely solid.

2. The step slightly bends at the arms and contact points due to the pressure exerted on it by the perch eventually causing the perch to wiggle.

Fix:weld or braze some contact points on the wings of the perch that keep the arms in place. This keeps the step locked in place and Rick solid! Not sure why this mod wasn’t added Amin production...

a602e740a28c8c89be8733ec8c7d21d7.jpg
86fa1b563ef2fb4ea563d66d1f333299.jpg
0d9f171042e94aac9120016704c53b9d.jpg

Doing these two fixes will get and keep your perch rock solid! Hope this helps someone...

I was having the same issues mentioned above.

1. The step would come ever so slightly a little loose when using the perch and the contact arms would begin to pull away from the tree.

Fix: instead of caming the perch over like the steps where you hear the nice solid thud, adjust the rope so the step is about to cam but doesn’t due to the rope being so tight. Where the bottom of the step is just touching the tree. Ensure the arms of the step are even em with or slightly above the rope. Then when you apply your body weight, it will silently cam with an extreme hold and the step will not become loose and will be extremely solid.

2. The step slightly bends at the arms and contact points due to the pressure exerted on it by the perch eventually causing the perch to wiggle.

Fix:weld or braze some contact points on the wings of the perch that keep the arms in place. This keeps the step locked in place and Rick solid! Not sure why this mod wasn’t added Amin production...

a602e740a28c8c89be8733ec8c7d21d7.jpg
86fa1b563ef2fb4ea563d66d1f333299.jpg
0d9f171042e94aac9120016704c53b9d.jpg

Doing these two fixes will get and keep your perch rock solid! Hope this helps someone...

any fix for those that don't weld or braze? JB weld?

Not sure how jb weld would hold up....someone should try it and report back.....could be a great cheap, easy fix if so...

I just took some heavy duty zip ties across the back in a figure 8 semi-permanently attaching the perch to step. There is no wiggle or wobble now. I also zip tied it to the cross bar on the step so that it wouldn't shift forward or back.

Get it too tight to cam over and let your body weight seat it like blt348 said and you'll find it works great.

Exactly as others have said.....get it a little too tight to stay cammed over and let your body weight keep it in place. Sounds weird but it works great and has the same feel as a ridge runner or podium where if you step off of it it wants to raise up a little. Doing it this way really digs the step into the tree and keeps the perch very solid

I don’t have a perch, and not sure I want one, but if I had this issue I might also try using a climbing stick strap instead of the rope. Makes fine adjustments a breeze and gets super tight.

I've been looking at getting into WE steps to climb and for my platform instead of sticks. In the process of looking I found that one guy that had the same issue with his platform. I think he was using primal steps and a plywood diy platform. His fix was replacing the stock rope with amsteel. My thought is there is less stretch, if any, in amsteel. If I remember correctly the straps had to much stretch. I think it would be worth a try if you have some available.

Back