• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Jan 1 public land

Weldabeast

SH Member
@JAYBO .... You may appreciate this.... That's C block...

Made the drive to some public I scouted last weekend. I got set up on the red dot early. Some kind of animal walked by while still too dark to see. Sun came up and it was pretty slow. I was only planning a morning hunt so around 10 I started packing up. Just about to lower the bow when I see a deer running on the yellow line. It goes into a thick ’’field'' of waist high grass mixed with palmetto and gal berry and 5-10ft tall baby long leaf pine. I keep watching the fire break to see if it comes out and it doesn't. So I break everything down as quiet and quick as possible and start stalking over that way. Once over to the area close to last visual I started grid search real slow. It was so thick being quiet was impossible so I pulled out the grunt tube and started making my way throu grunting every once in a while. I finally heard the deer get up and move 5-10yds. I grunt and move toward last sound of movement. We do this for maybe 30 minutes but I never get a shot and I run out of cover and the deer bolted outta there. I was down wind the whole time and I really think that doe thought I was a buck and she was just playing hard to get. It was a awesome experience and a great hunt to start 2020

Screenshot_20200101-141303~2.png

Thats an exciting new take on Spot and stalk! i wouldve never tried that kind of tactic but i guess its something to keep in your back pocket just in case. Thanks for sharing!

I was on my way toward leaving anyway so I figured, what the heck... Might as well give it a shot. I didn't think I'd be able to get as close as I did.

Still, good on you for giving it a go. I probably wouldve snuck out planning on hunting the spot later on but who knows how that would have gone. Instead you got much closer and probably learned way more than i ever would have. Kudos!

There has been a handful of times I've seen deer close by and I waited for them to come to me...... Everyone of those times nothing ever came of it. I have the mindset now, if the situation allows, I'm going to be proactive instead of reactive. I got a shot at a buck last season using this tactic and almost again this past hunt. I hunt different areas pretty much very hunt so I really don't care if I'm blowing the deer out of there....I don't get enough hunting time to be watching things happen....I feel I need to make things happen.

FL deer love the small pines, i've had good success (along with equal failure) setting up on the ground near a trail that comes into the small pines from a field, they seem to bed there. Last year I shot a doe at 7 yds while sitting near a small pine in a ghillie suit top which is suicidal in FL in October.

Back