• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

John Eberhart Scentlok Suit

A.Becotte

I do not know if anyone had listened to The Exodus Podcast, but John Eberhart discussed a signature Saddle Hunter Scentlok Suit that will be coming out late June to sometime in July in the 2022 line. I know people have opinions relating to Scentlok and scent in general, but it is really cool that they are designing clothes specifically for Saddle Hunting.

Some of the features are a deep nap exterior fleece (mask noise), polyurethane waterproof membrane (seams won't be taped), 80 to 100 grams of thinsulate throughout the whole system, jacket will have short collar in front and relatively long in the back (to block wind on neck), the pockets in the jacket will be higher because of the saddle (will be fleece lined), pants will have a rise in the back with a drop hemline on the jacket, have a quick adjust buckle on the front, will have knee pads built into the pants (good for morning/afternoon sit), no back pockets, etc. Designed for rut hunting and will have enough room for layers underneath (will not have to size up for layers) and will be around 169.99-189.99 for each piece of the suit.

Last edited:
I also like more open patterns, but appreciate the design features overall. I broke down and bought some discount Scent Lok this winter. I don’t know if carbon works, but it can’t hurt to try.

And why do manufacturers use any orange on camo outfits??? First Lite does it also. If a state requires orange to be worn during archery season a hat or vest can be used. I hide from anti-hunters and general nosey people more than the deer. Even when I’m on a small private parcel and a neighbor walks a dog thru I don’t want to draw attention to myself, It might not seem like a big deal to some people but for me, I don’t get it.

And why do manufacturers use any orange on camo outfits??? First Lite does it also. If a state requires orange to be worn during archery season a hat or vest can be used. I hide from anti-hunters and general nosey people more than the deer. Even when I’m on a small private parcel and a neighbor walks a dog thru I don’t want to draw attention to myself, It might not seem like a big deal to some people but for me, I don’t get it.
Only loosely related, the first decent buck I ever shot was with bow in gun season around 2005… I bumped up the herd going in, climbed up a telephone pole shaped tree with no cover, and sat there in a blaze orange vest and hat. The whole herd came back in a half hour - bucks working a doe or two - and was shuffling every direction around me. I was sticking out like a sore thumb, and wind apparently wasn’t a thing back then? Then the whole gang let me draw on the alpha buck, I heart shot him at 27 yards and he ran maybe 30. Why has it only gotten more difficult ever since???

Only loosely related, the first decent buck I ever shot was with bow in gun season around 2005… I bumped up the herd going in, climbed up a telephone pole shaped tree with no cover, and sat there in a blaze orange vest and hat. The whole herd came back in a half hour - bucks working a doe or two - and was shuffling every direction around me. I was sticking out like a sore thumb, and wind apparently wasn’t a thing back then? Then the whole gang let me draw on the alpha buck, I heart shot him at 27 yards and he ran maybe 30. Why has it only gotten more difficult ever since???
I think you got caught in the everyone knows something is not right. But no one wants to be the "one". They knew it was gun season, so figured if they weren't dead yet they had a chance. The does lived to feed another day. The horny buck died.

I've found it interesting the comparison between Eberhart and Infalt when it comes to scent control. They both consistently kill monsters. Eberhart seems to put scent control as #1, whereas Infalt seems to almost ignore it completely and only works the wind. I've seen a few of Infalt's hunt videos where he's wearing what I assume is yesterday's T-shirt, and I'd be willing to bet he had not even showered or brushed his teeth that day :laughing:

And they both consistently stick the big ones. I just think it is a noteworthy comparison in their styles. And it has begun to shape my choices in both scent control and working the wind.

And neon green. So dumb. I don't get it either.

I've found it interesting the comparison between Eberhart and Infalt when it comes to scent control. They both consistently kill monsters. Eberhart seems to put scent control as #1, whereas Infalt seems to almost ignore it completely and only works the wind. I've seen a few of Infalt's hunt videos where he's wearing what I assume is yesterday's T-shirt, and I'd be willing to bet he had not even showered or brushed his teeth that day :laughing:

And they both consistently stick the big ones. I just think it is a noteworthy comparison in their styles. And it has begun to shape my choices in both scent control and working the wind.

I know exactly what you are saying! That is why I follow both of them and hold both in high regard. They are absolutely both killers regardless of their tactics. I think everyone just needs to find what works best for them. For me, I’m kind of in the middle of John and Dan. I’m not going to be 100% rigorous with everything, but I’m not going to ignore my scent. Also, the Scentlok clothes for me are more than just for the activated carbon. It’s for the cost, the warmth, and the functionality that the new suits will be for a saddle. I’m really excited to have something that will actually work effectively in a saddle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have used scent suits and just playing the wind.
In the end I wash my clothes with baking soda.
I use hieght as much as possible for whitetails and wind patterns on the ground for elk.
To me scent control for elk is useless unless you have a t.v. show or youtube channel. When you cover ground you perspire.
I have shot deer in anything from faded blue jeans and wife beaters to said scent suits.
I love camo clothes as much as the next guy but when it comes to scent control I buy tees, hoodies, joggers, coats and sweat shirts from Walmart, Duham's and any other department store with polyester or poly blend blends on sale or clearance.
I found most name brand hunting clothes are mostly poly.
I spent my share and then some on "the good stuff"
I say you dont "need" it.
You do need to learn proper layering for the country you take on.

I used scent lok for awhile probably up to about 5-8 years ago.
I had a copy of john’s whole scent prep , care and tactics. he sent it to me personally.
I was pretty hard nosed with it and i will say i was still busted.
I will say this , i did follow John’s regime religiously.
I Love Johnny Carbon and respect the absolute honesty and TRUE pressured public and private bucks he has killed over the years.
Unlike others who claim high pressured or public land weary bucks.
Scent lok just dont work 100% for me.
Thinking back now and changing the things i did in past and things i do now. I dont know if i would want it to work 100%
I love the challenge of beating naturally those senses of that old weary gray ghost.
I think scent lok helps and probably does help quite a bit but, I started hunting like i used to hunt years ago by hunting the wind and doing more and more research on the-certain bucks i am after.
to be honest i think hunters entry ways to your spots are most important.
after year round research of course lol.
if a deer somehow hears, see’s, or smells humans approaching them in any way.
they will become alert and spooky.
Since i changed back to hunting the wind my sightings and opportunities have soared but, when presented with a shot I myself have screwed it up.
wether i get caught moving, noise from drawing, or even a wind shift or thermal’s i myself have messed it up.
wind shifts happen and i do not think scent lok would ever help 100%.
in the last 4 years i have muffed quite a few opportunities up and there might be 1-2 that had anything to do with literally being winded.
scent lok and other equipment will instill confidence if it does so be it please use it.
what works for one may not work for another.
I guess scent lok finally made John an offer he could not refuse.
good for you @John Eberhart
its about time you get yours bro.
the suit looks awesome. Years ago John talked me into buying some scent lok and i killed a few good deer using it.
That said i have used it.
i do think scent lok makes super comfortable clothes snd i love how they fit.
use what you enjoy using and just enjoy the hunts you can get in.
life is short and people need to enjoy the life we have now.

Last edited:

my honest opinion is it’s just dumb luck lol I have a buddy that could roll out from under a truck grab a bow and kill a deer every time he does it. We hunt the same parcels and if I don’t keep strict on scent control and the wind I won’t see ****, HOWEVER for what it’s worth since switching to scent lol I can really play my luck against the wind a little more and see results from it

Last edited:
I do not know if anyone had listened to The Exodus Podcast, but John Eberhart discussed a signature Saddle Hunter Scentlok Suit that will be coming out late June to sometime in July in the 2022 line. I know people have opinions relating to Scentlok and scent in general, but it is really cool that they are designing clothes specifically for Saddle Hunting.

Some of the features are a deep nap exterior fleece (mask noise), polyurethane waterproof membrane (seams won't be taped), 80 to 100 grams of thinsulate throughout the whole system, jacket will have short collar in front and relatively long in the back (to block wind on neck), the pockets in the jacket will be higher because of the saddle (will be fleece lined), pants will have a rise in the back with a drop hemline on the jacket, have a quick adjust buckle on the front, will have knee pads built into the pants (good for morning/afternoon sit), no back pockets, etc. Designed for rut hunting and will have enough room for layers underneath (will not have to size up for layers) and will be around 169.99-189.99 for each piece of the suit.

Thanks for taking the time to highlight the specifics.

Dumb luck is like when I butchered a hog and got washed up to go out.
Or the time I cleaned a mess of fish.
There just is no good way to get clean.
There are smells that don't quit.
I was busted 20 yards from the truck.
Those deer sounded like a chorus of bull frogs.
Dumb luck is 99% bad.
Experience and production speak for themselves. (Dan's)
I lean toward Dan Infalt but don't discard some common sense in preparation.

Like most things in life, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. I try to keep clean but I also really try to watch thermal and wind direction. I’ve never used activated carbon suits but I’ll admit, I may try this suit this year given the pricing. Whenever I’ve just gone in to hunt a piece and not try to figure out a wind direction or thermal scheme, I rarely have shot opportunities. When I do think about and plan accordingly, I usually do have a chance to kill something. I don’t want to be bogged down by scent control regiments but I already do a modicum of some of it already so to add a suit to the fray may not be necessarily a bad thing. I really like wool though for its quietness in the deer woods.

Like most things in life, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. I try to keep clean but I also really try to watch thermal and wind direction. I’ve never used activated carbon suits but I’ll admit, I may try this suit this year given the pricing. Whenever I’ve just gone in to hunt a piece and not try to figure out a wind direction or thermal scheme, I rarely have shot opportunities. When I do think about and plan accordingly, I usually do have a chance to kill something. I don’t want to be bogged down by scent control regiments but I already do a modicum of some of it already so to add a suit to the fray may not be necessarily a bad thing. I really like wool though for its quietness in the deer woods.

That is one thing that I super respected John about with this suit and that he wants it to be budget friendly. And for me, it will be so much cheaper than trying to piece together lets say a First Lite system. And then, if I take care of it anywhere close to how John does, I’m hoping it will be effective for me when hunting.

John also said the whole outside would be in fleece to make it as quiet as possible. And with some experience, fleece is pretty quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back