• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

John Eberharts Scent Control

wpwoutdoors

I was wondering if anyone here uses John Eberharts scent control strategies and the carbon clothing. I mostly mean his claim that he simply ignores the wind.
Has anyone here had any success using this strategy and also ignoring the wind. I want to believe John, but i was wondering if i could get any testimonials for his exact method as the area i hunt has terrain and constantly swirling winds and is a pain in the ass to hunt. Thanks

Many people on here use scent Lok and there are many opinions about it's effectiveness. You will probably get more answers quicker by reading through some of the threads in the scent control section.

Many people on here use scent Lok and there are many opinions about it's effectiveness. You will probably get more answers quicker by reading through some of the threads in the scent control section.

I have been but I’m trying to find out about people ignoring the wind and I’m having difficulty finding that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure I have seen anyone else on here say they completely ignore the wind except John but, I do believe him when he says it and his results speak for themselves.

For me personally I have 90 acres that is in a creek bottom with constantly swirling winds. I have noticed a significant difference the past three years since I have gotten more serious about my scent control. I use a combination of scent Lok and ozone on non scent Lok clothes. Does my routine allow me to completely ignore the wind? No. But I have noticed a lot fewer deer wind me and when they do their reaction is less severe.

John also hunts very high in the air. That might be helping him as well. I doubt he could ignore the wind on the ground.

I’ve been using ozone this year and it has shown considerable proof. I live in central WV where everybody hunts. I’ve noticed different areas of deer you just can’t get away with a drop of human odor. I noticed in these areas the mature deer key off on where your rubber boots hit the ground. What is the answer for that?( other than a good entry)

You should never just ignore the wind even if you do believe scent control works. A deer relies on its nose like we do our eyes. The deer play the wind themselves, scent checking areas, staging, scent checking for does, bedding with the air current advantages etc.

I do not feel a hunter can ignore the wind and be a good hunter for a animal that relies on there nose to survive.Many apex hunters on this planet walking on four legs would agree I think.
This is not to bash John eberharts system because of the one video of his I have watched he does make some great key points that a life long of bow hunting has taught me to be true.
In watching his video he pays attention to what entry into his hunting area he takes( low impact) he watches what he touches in that area(low impact) he hunts very high in the tree(low impact)
My brother who has never heard of
MR Eberhart or for that matter cares about how his system works does things almost the same way. He believes in carbon clothing and scent control overall. But he will tell you hunt the wind best you can with your scent control system in place. And he is very successful.

Some of the biggest deer ever harvested have been taken by hunters that didn’t have a clue about wind direction or a scent control system they just had the conditions happen for it to come together. But to be that lucky with really mature animals won’t happen often. A mature animal to survive has to be correct 100% of the time . A hunter needs to be correct once at that perfect time.
Nothing wrong with having a scent control system you believe in but to think you will fool a deer nose is foolish regustdless of carbon outerwear ,ozone ,etc.

theres a good number of very mature deer that are tolerant of human scent. Most big giant mature bucks killed in Michigan are killed in southern Michigan where human population is way more than northern Michigan. Those deer are forced to ignore a lot of human scent. I hunt both southern and northern Michigan and I can get away with much more scent in southern Michigan than northern Michigan.

I can go on my buddies private land and walk right down the same trail as the deer, zero scent control, its got virtually no pressure. I do that on public land and Ill never see a deer. Ive watched it happen one too many times where one step on my trail and theyre on high alert. You can beat them on the thermals, you can beat them with height, you can beat them on an off wind but thinking you can just get away with everything doesnt work for me.

I don't think that it can hurt your hunting any to try and be as scent free as possible. I have taken some of his steps into practice the last five years but I haven't noticed that I get busted any less. I still get winded a lot and I try and play the wind. I always take wind into account but sometimes you just can't control what the deer do and sometimes you just get lucky. 75% of the time when I get busted it is when they cross my backtrack and I use rubber boots and spray them. This year I am going to try fox urine and vanilla cover scent and see if that helps any. Whatever Eberhart is doing the proof is in the pudding. I don't think anyone shoots more mature bucks than that guy...consistently.

I still think we all smell different and some smell less predatory to the deer. My daughter gets tore up by skeeters, they hardly touch me. Some people dogs just hate instantly, others they approach friendly. Lots of unexplained things.

I agree. I think there is more to scent awareness in animals than we currently understand. When I do scent control all the way, I definitely see results. When I don't, I get winded in the wrong situation. I can't explain it, but anecdotally, I think there's something to it.

It’s really hard to know for sure how many mature deer are detecting us. Maybe we think we aren’t getting winded but the truth is we are. Again not to bash anyone system if it works it works. The number one thing to kill really big deer there must be really big deer in the area your at. I think that’s the key to John Eberhart system . He isn’t fooling them all but he is on really big mature deer consistently.

I agree, there will never be an answer to every situation. I myself could never bring myself to go to the full extreme. I own a Log6 and a scent smoker if that tells you anything how long and what ive tried. I will not buy an ozonics though I believe ozone is great at killing odor.

It’s really hard to know for sure how many mature deer are detecting us. Maybe we think we aren’t getting winded but the truth is we are. Again not to bash anyone system if it works it works. The number one thing to kill really big deer there must be really big deer in the area your at. I think that’s the key to John Eberhart system . He isn’t fooling them all but he is on really big mature deer consistently.
I've never really gotten that argument. If the deer at 20 yards or 50 yards aren't scenting someone, why are the deer that are further and out of sight? Ultimately it is something no one can prove or disprove, but I don't follow the logic.

Back