• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Juice Press =/= Sausage Stuffer?

MNFarmHunter

In years past, I've made jam out of my raspberries because it's easy and tastes good but the seeds get stuck in my teeth and the kids don't like it much. As such, this year I plan on making jelly instead and have been looking at ways to maximize the juice extraction. I know I'll need staining bags but passive straining is slow and doesn't get everything. There are various juice presses out there but they're $$$. Then I thought about by sausage stuffer.

If I were to cut a strainer the diameter of the piston to cover the outlet at the bottom of the strainer and put the cooked down berries in straining bags then load them into the stuffer, I could turn the stuffer into a juice press...at least in theory.

Has anyone else done something like this?

I have not tried that, but would be interested in the results if you try it!

I have a juicer attachment for my grinder, also haven't used that on raspberries but it works pretty good. You could send a heck of a lot of cooked raspberries through a #12 grinder fast.

I only have a small plot for the raspberries but they're looking good this year and should be able to freeze a few gallon bags by the end of the season. Looking online, I've seen other postings but not many. I've also seen postings of people using a stuffer to make apple cider.

Speaking of apples, this should be a good apple year since spring was cold/wet. The plan is to make apple jam out of them.

It seems like if you tie the jelly bag off the stuffer would work pretty good. Seems like crushing apples would be tough!

You might be better off with a food mill, rather than trying to jerry-rig your sausage stuffer. If you're determined to go that route, I wonder if you won't find better success putting your pulp in some sort of mesh strainer bag and squeezing that, rather than trying to install a strainer in your stuffer tube. I think that's how they press cheese, wrap the curds in a sack of some sort and press the whey out.

Back