• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Just getting ready...

phatkaw

SH Member
Hi guys, I just learned about saddle huntin' about a month ago. I was watching some YouTube hunting videos and came across some guy swinging from a tree... Man, I'm hooked already!
I've always been super mobile and rarely hunt out of the same tree more than a few times. Actually, a few of my bucks I whacked while slipping through the woods with my climber on my back searching for a tree in the right spot...
I know saddle huntin' is gonna work for me! I can think of a bunch of swamps and creek bottoms around here that don't have trees big enough for a lock-on or too many limbs for a climber.
Anyways, I wanted to say "Howdy" from Western Pa and I'm here to learn more about 'swinging from a tree'.

Last edited:
Hello from south of YOUR border. Be a good neighbor and drive some of the elks down to us so someday we too will get an elk tag permits. Be ready to spend some money or sweat if you want to DIY things! Everyone here is great!

I'm sure I'll pick sumthin' up along the way.

Actually, last night I learned a little about ROS... They sound uncomfortable?
They're not really my thing but I've used them. Really they're not the midieval torture devices I imagined that they would be. Since the vast majority of your weight is carried on your backside in the saddle they are really only places to rest your feet when you're just hanging out. Think about bicycle pedals when you're just coasting. They do provide good mobility around the tree in a small package. Personally though I still prefer a small platform.

^^^ 30 years of riding & racing dirt bikes has really taken its toll on me. The mid-evil torture sounds funny but I'd say you're prolly right about how a guy's weight ain't really on the steps all that much.

Do ROS guys mostly lean or sit or kneel?
I don't think any of the videos I watched other than John Eberhart were on steps?
That is probably an individual preference just the same as platform guys?

I'm sure if I dig around a while I'll find these answers on past threads...
I've been a TS.com (Trap Shooters forum) member since 2018 so I know how it is to see the new guy ask the same questions that have been discussed over and over.

I don't think any of the videos I watched other than John Eberhart were on steps?

I've been a TS.com (Trap Shooters forum) member since 2018 so I know how it is to see the new guy ask the same questions that have been discussed over and over.
The search function is pretty good for finding most answers but it doesn't like the three letter acronyms. Best way to find ROS threads is google search the string "ROS" Site:saddlehunter.com

When I started saddle years ago that's all I had to use was steps and I was a sitter. I still use them from time to time but it's hard to beat a platform for all day sits. If I want to sit all day and use my Guido's web I still will pull out my ROS.

^^^ 30 years of riding & racing dirt bikes has really taken its toll on me. The mid-evil torture sounds funny but I'd say you're prolly right about how a guy's weight ain't really on the steps all that much.

I tried to convince myself that a platform was better than a ROS for two seasons but, ended up coming back to a ROS. IMO they are more comfortable than having your feet and knees stuck together the entire hunt. I wouldn't be so quick to write them off, lots of guys prefer them.

I tried to convince myself that a platform was better than a ROS for two seasons but, ended up coming back to a ROS. IMO they are more comfortable than having your feet and knees stuck together the entire hunt. I wouldn't be so quick to write them off, lots of guys prefer them.

bought a predator platform camoed it silenced it havent used it

Back