• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

JX-3 Info for New Users

dlist777

Last year was my first using the JX-3. After a year using it, I thought I'd give a write up of my "system". There are a million ways to use this thing, but I thought this might be helpful for new guys using the hybrid that don't know where to start. I'm not claiming anything here is the best way...it's just what I settled on after about 50 hunts.

I hunt with a xbow and a gun. I either use pre-set trees (with bolts to climb and bolts as a ROS) or run and gun where I climb with beast sticks and use a ROS (squirrel steps on an OCB). Contrary to some claims, I feel you really need at lest a few steps or bolts as a ROS with the hybrid to move around the tree easily.

I love this thing and used it in nearly every hunt (even from the ground a few times). Also, I killed 5 whitetail last year (2 bucks / 3 does). Here goes: A pic is worth a thousand words, so hopefully this makes sense:

1a Open Unpacked.JPG2a Packed.JPG3a Closed Up.JPG4a Sticks Attached.JPG5a Rear View.JPG6 Front View.JPG6a Side View.JPG6b Stick on Bungee Loop.jpg7a on tree.JPG8a On Tree.JPG

Well set up. I uses pouches in a similar way. I am planning on using a pack rabbit with my other saddles and moving the pouches from the Jx 3 to my frame pack when I switch saddles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Cool system and nice deer! I had a JX3 but sold it. Part of me wishes I didn’t. May have to invest in one again after while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this. I’ve been building up my Cruzr setup, but I’m fixing to start working on my JX3 setup.

Nice pics and helpful post! I use the Lonewolf hand climber as my climbing method so it stays sandwiched in between the seat and backrest when hiking in. I also use a small child’s day pack for my rangefinder, kill kit, and most importantly water bottles. I have tried to condense my kit a half a dozen times, but for early bow season I am sometimes packing four 32 ounce Nalgene bottles up the mountain for an all day hunt. I always have a sawyer squeeze filter with me, but many times the high elevation water sources have dried up by the time Bow season opens. I’m kind of a bigger guy so I will literally go through almost half a gallon sometimes just on my hike up the mountain. A buddy of mine rigged up a Camelback on his JX 3, so that may be an option I look into this fall.

Thanks. What about clothes for winter?

Thanks. What about clothes for winter?

I had no problem. However that is why I extended the linemans loops...it was hard to reach the stock loops all bundled up. Otherwise I had no issue...

A buddy of mine rigged up a Camelback on his JX 3, so that may be an option I look into this fall.

If you could get a picture of that, I would be very grateful. That's my one hangup with getting mine setup; where to put water.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I had no problem. However that is why I extended the linemans loops...it was hard to reach the stock loops all bundled up. Otherwise I had no issue...

I meant packing in layers. I usually hike in with minimal clothes on. Climb, cool off, then start layering with several different articles of clothing. I cant see not having a pack for winter hunts but cant see the jx3 with a pack on as well.

I meant packing in layers. I usually hike in with minimal clothes on. Climb, cool off, then start layering with several different articles of clothing. I cant see not having a pack for winter hunts but cant see the jx3 with a pack on as well.

I just put clothes in the JX3 with the pouches. Plenty of room. Look at the 3rd pic in my original post to give you an idea of what you could stuff in there. I hunt in MD and it doesn't get bitter cold but I did put my outer layer in there on a few hunts during my walk out. You use the leg straps to keep it tightened.

I am a JX-3 fan but not a salesman and I don't want to convince anyone to buy it and then end out having them be unhappy. I don't see stuffing clothes in there as being a problem, but maybe someone who did this more will comment on their experience. I agree with you that a pack + JX-3 would be awkward and (IMHO) unnecessary.

I just put clothes in the JX3 with the pouches. Plenty of room. Look at the 3rd pic in my original post to give you an idea of what you could stuff in there. I hunt in MD and it doesn't get bitter cold but I did put my outer layer in there on a few hunts during my walk out. You use the leg straps to keep it tightened.

I am a JX-3 fan but not a salesman and I don't want to convince anyone to buy it and then end out having them be unhappy. I don't see stuffing clothes in there as being a problem, but maybe someone who did this more will comment on their experience. I agree with you that a pack + JX-3 would be awkward and (IMHO) unnecessary.

sorry to pester you, but your setup is awesome, and I just wanna pick your brain a bit more, basically, on your process. I’m assuming you’re getting to the tree, taking off the hybrid, setting upyour first couple of sticks,attaching your Doyle’s to your bow, pit the hybrid back on, and ascend the tree with your sticks in the attached bungees... 2 questions...

1) do you climb the tree with the seat deployed down by your legs to allow the Doyle’s to extend freely, or do you climb with it stowed and just popthe seat off of the hook when you get to hunting height?

2) This kinda ties in to question 1 and the previous guys question... If you’ve got layers sandwiched in between seat and back when walking in, do you put them on before you climb up?... I guess you could just stuff them between your back and the seat back while you ascend, and then throw on the jacket once you’re hung and cooled down a bit...

just airing out some thoughts and getting some advice from a highly experienced user. Thanks for allthe feedback and diagrams.

sorry to pester you, but your setup is awesome, and I just wanna pick your brain a bit more, basically, on your process. I’m assuming you’re getting to the tree, taking off the hybrid, setting upyour first couple of sticks,attaching your Doyle’s to your bow, pit the hybrid back on, and ascend the tree with your sticks in the attached bungees... 2 questions...

1) do you climb the tree with the seat deployed down by your legs to allow the Doyle’s to extend freely, or do you climb with it stowed and just popthe seat off of the hook when you get to hunting height?

2) This kinda ties in to question 1 and the previous guys question... If you’ve got layers sandwiched in between seat and back when walking in, do you put them on before you climb up?... I guess you could just stuff them between your back and the seat back while you ascend, and then throw on the jacket once you’re hung and cooled down a bit...

just airing out some thoughts and getting some advice from a highly experienced user. Thanks for allthe feedback and diagrams.
No problem at all...

1. Yes, I climb with the JX3 open and hanging. Honestly, I've never tried it closed. I like how I can access the pouches with it open and yes, the Doyle's is free then.

2. I will climb with all my clothes on most of the time. A few times I have left my heavy jacket on the ground and pull it up with my bow and put on when set up. My jacket has a hanging loop I can just run the Doyle's through it and still thru attach to the bow.

Your idea on stuffing it in the back and climbing with the JX3 closed would probably work too....just relocate the doyles.

Some of you mentioned a back pack with the JX3. Last year was my first year hunting with the JX3 and I loved it. I did carry a small back pack with me to carry my bino's , coffee thermos, battery charger, rattle pack, head lamp, grunt tube and a few snacks. I bought it from Wall-Mart for $9.95. It is a small pack that fits between the seat and the back of the saddle. I hook it over the hook on the back of the saddle plus have a short piece of paracord tined to the loop with a small clip on the other end of the cord. I attach it to one of the loops on the shoulder straps in case it comes off of the saddle hook. This way it just hangs over my shoulder until I get up the tree and set up. I then hang it from my Tethered strap around the tree that I hang my bow from. This way it is at arms reach if I need anything out of it. As to carrying extra cloths in. I normally just have a fleece jack and pants that will go over my lighter layers. I put the pants on at the base of the tree and then the jacket when I need it.

I like how you organize your dump pouches and hoist which is very similar to how I use mine. I will be adding the Amsteel loops to the lineman belt loop on at least my right side. I keep the lineman rope girth hitched to the one on the left side then in a dump pouch. All my dump pouches go between the seat and back rest while walking in. When I let down the seat to climb up the dump pouches drop into positions I need them for when climbing up. I use 3 LW sticks with double steps on the top step position and a aider on the bottom of each one. Two of them I have small para cord loop on them that I use to attach them to the D loops on each side of my saddle when climbing which keeps them at a position that is easily reached and prevents them from making any noise while climbing. I carry in my sticks with a strap that I just sling across my shoulder and head which makes them stay tight to the saddle while walking in.
I really enjoyed hunting from my JX3 last year and look forward to it again this year.

Sorry if this has been covered but are you all sitting with (1) the lower edge of the seat back locked behind the rear beam of the lower seat, or are you (2) letting that float on top of the lower seat (which can actually squeak a little if you’re not careful) or (3) alternating between the two positions depending on how you feel at that moment? Am I crazy to notice this as I’m sitting there?

Back