• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

JX3 Hybrid Custom Mods

Nothing as of yet. Granted I've only possessed my JX3 for a couple weeks, but it is so well thought out I don't see much in the way of mod needs.

Biggest thing for me to work out is how to best carry my Muddy 1-stick. Doesn't seem to fit between the seat & back very well. Could just carry it in my hand but given anticipated rifle season use I think I want to be hands free.

@kyler1945 worked out a lot of the gear attachment details such as thermacells and Doyle's hoist and whatnot. Will be using those suggestions.

Nothing as of yet. Granted I've only possessed my JX3 for a couple weeks, but it is so well thought out I don't see much in the way of mod needs.

Biggest thing for me to work out is how to best carry my Muddy 1-stick. Doesn't seem to fit between the seat & back very well. Could just carry it in my hand but given anticipated rifle season use I think I want to be hands free.

@kyler1945 worked out a lot of the gear attachment details such as thermacells and Doyle's hoist and whatnot. Will be using those suggestions.

Beast sticks or modified 2 foot sticks fit perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beast sticks fit perfect

How are you packing them? Vertical/horizontal? My Hybrid is on the way and without being able to physically try it I'm trying to visualize the easiest way to carry my sticks.

Thermacel in front ground chair standoff, Doyle’s hoist and skinning knife clipped to bottom of seat strap underneath seat. Bino case attached to right side of harness for storing stuff. Magnet on shoulder strap to hold drill while climbing. Two side release buckle straps to secure meat when packing out.

Padded waist belt for long hikes or packing deer out - i’m Not sure it’s necessary but it does make it nicer to pack. I don’t like it when it’s hot and I don’t have meat to pack out.

Only things I’ll add are load lifters, and when I do so, a headrest.

Honestly it’s pretty well thought out, not much needs to be done.

I have a video in the ‘it’s just a crush’ thread on my YouTube channel.

Beast sticks or modified 2 foot sticks fit perfect

Interesting. Only tried my Muddy as I want to use its rope cam system. Maybe I should try 1-sticking with my DIY 24" sticks. I use Alumibutton and sewn webbing strap. Not sure how practical that is to 1-stick with.

My DIYs are also really light with the 1/16 tubing and LW standoffs. I notice when 1-sticking that I put some pretty extreme pressure on the stick and figured the beefier Muddy was a safer approach for that style.

How are you packing them? Vertical/horizontal? My Hybrid is on the way and without being able to physically try it I'm trying to visualize the easiest way to carry my sticks.

Horizontally. The picture I sent you on the Beast was Ontario's setup.

Horizontally. The picture I sent you on the Beast was Ontario's setup.
Thanks. I forgot about that pic. My worry is that carrying them horizontal it looks like they would be a snag nightmare in cattails. Guess I’ll have to experiment different methods when I get my hybrid.

Last edited:
Thanks. I forgot about that pic. My worry is that carrying them horizontal it looks like they would be a snag nightmare in cattails. Guess I’ll have to experiment different methods when I get my hybrid.

It is a tight horizontal fit. I find zero snagging because the standoff’s are tight to the pack. They barely fit

Thermacel in front ground chair standoff, Doyle’s hoist and skinning knife clipped to bottom of seat strap underneath seat. Bino case attached to right side of harness for storing stuff. Magnet on shoulder strap to hold drill while climbing. Two side release buckle straps to secure meat when packing out.

Padded waist belt for long hikes or packing deer out - i’m Not sure it’s necessary but it does make it nicer to pack. I don’t like it when it’s hot and I don’t have meat to pack out.

Only things I’ll add are load lifters, and when I do so, a headrest.

Honestly it’s pretty well thought out, not much needs to be done.

I have a video in the ‘it’s just a crush’ thread on my YouTube channel.
Do you think the padded waist belt would effect the comfort when sitting in it?

I’m not a camel. More of a water buffalo. How hard would it be to add a hydration system to it?

Do you think the padded waist belt would effect the comfort when sitting in it?

I’m not a camel. More of a water buffalo. How hard would it be to add a hydration system to it?

I tried putting a bladder in between the mesh and frame. It fits but I’m always scared I’ll bust those things. Plus it would get warm from back. I think you could make a zip pouch that Is the size of the bottom of the seat, on the outside of the webbing under the seat, and stow one there.

I sat with the waist belt - it’s fine. I just don’t like it when it’s hot or when not needed. I packed 100-110lbs 2 miles without it, after 6 miles with 30lbs without it. It sucked but I did it. I’m on the fence about it.

I am drilling a few shallow 1/2” indentations in the tree fork to keep it from sliding back in to the hybrid. I am fairly heavy and my weight was more than the knob/bolt could handle. I would also benefit from a padded hip belt. I hunt in the mountains almost always a legit 30 - 60 min hike each way from the truck. During early bow season I am carrying 4 - 6 lbs of just water depending on water access, so my pack starts off heavy, and gets real heavy when I get a critter on the ground. I was thinking about looking for a removal hip pad that I could take off when hunting. Maybe trying some sort of kids sleeved knee pads or something similar that aI could slip on and off easily. I know John is working on several options and I can’t wait to see what he comes up with.

I am drilling a few shallow 1/2” indentations in the tree fork to keep it from sliding back in to the hybrid. I am fairly heavy and my weight was more than the knob/bolt could handle. I would also benefit from a padded hip belt. I hunt in the mountains almost always a legit 30 - 60 min hike each way from the truck. During early bow season I am carrying 4 - 6 lbs of just water depending on water access, so my pack starts off heavy, and gets real heavy when I get a critter on the ground. I was thinking about looking for a removal hip pad that I could take off when hunting. Maybe trying some sort of kids sleeved knee pads or something similar that aI could slip on and off easily. I know John is working on several options and I can’t wait to see what he comes up with.
Yeah I spoke to John yesterday. It sounds like he's going to start making those indentions on the fork himself pretty soon. I was having the same problem and he was very receptive to the feedback.

It is a tight horizontal fit. I find zero snagging because the standoff’s are tight to the pack. They barely fit

Wow, it’s like they were made for each other. I slapped this together quick.
c3fd202d2b4442b93c6522cc6f852957.jpg
9f88fd60ce068c6fa2d972c9116c2371.jpg
b62eca178b53544b54ed06203adfdf5e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Muddy fits pretty well in the JX3 after all. It's hard to see but it nestles down in between the seat and back, resting on the connecting straps.

I also was able to pack the LB, bridge, and tether back there so now nothing flops around and the hybrid is almost flush behind my 6' 200 lb body. Pretty awesome! Now I just have to work on misc gear attachments mostly modeled on @kyler1945's recommendations.
1153f2a23e72f823bc1b770a68e6db04.jpg
a5423235c18bd0d6537315d775d0bfdf.jpg

The Muddy fits pretty well in the JX3 after all. It's hard to see but it nestles down in between the seat and back, resting on the connecting straps.

I also was able to pack the LB, bridge, and tether back there so now nothing flops around and the hybrid is almost flush behind my 6' 200 lb body. Pretty awesome! Now I just have to work on misc gear attachments mostly modeled on @kyler1945's recommendations.
1153f2a23e72f823bc1b770a68e6db04.jpg
a5423235c18bd0d6537315d775d0bfdf.jpg
That's the way my muddies ride

Not necessarily a mod, but I've been playing around with using the hybrid as a kayak seat. I use water access for a lot of my hunts. Myself + gear + a deer, and I'm pushing the weight limit of my yak. Using the hybrid as my seat saves me around 20 pounds (the weight of the stock kayak seat). It also makes my yak feel noticably more stable since it sits lower than the stock seat. The hybrid also fits perfectly in my raft. Going to play around more with that this weekend.
04468c5f1e3919d402359ab30233c1d4.jpg
fda0d684e3807dab2594d000460e8fcf.jpg
3b8bf7d91f34d4c7ef016cf32be59563.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Not necessarily a mod, but I've been playing around with using the hybrid as a kayak seat. I use water access for a lot of my hunts. Myself + gear + a deer, and I'm pushing the weight limit of my yak. Using the hybrid as my seat saves me around 20 pounds (the weight of the stock kayak seat). It also makes my yak feel noticably more stable since it sits lower than the stock seat. The hybrid also fits perfectly in my raft. Going to play around more with that this weekend.

That's pretty awesome

That's a big part if why I want one. Ground hunting, tree hunting, camp chair, and pirogue seat! Can't beat the versatility!

Back