• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Jx3 Seat and Back warmer

GTel

Not that the jx3 needs much improvement, but I definitely wanted a bit of insulation between me and the webbing on the seat and backrest for cold weather hunts. Been doing the same for stand hunting and it's worked great for many years. $25 for this thermaseat two person ladder stand cushion, 34" x 17" x .75", cut width wise at 17.5" and it fits the seat and back perfect. Used the nylon straps it came with to secure it. Also put two of the DanO satchels (standard size) on the molle's on each side to hold tethrd hys strap, tether, squirrel steps and linesmans belt. They also make great pockets for phone, etc, once your hunting. And I removed the bow holder D rings from the left side. Forgot I was using them on a hunt and went into a lean; bow almost dropped to the ground. And I like the bow hanging from the tree better anyhow.
05382bcce77ff20ad877f12390abb1b0.jpg

Sent from up in a tree

Looks great, I’ve been running a pad just on the seat, last hunt was cold and to test I removed the pad for an hour or so. No contest, in the cold the pad is better. This is why back in the day I never switched my Summit to a web seat!

Not that the jx3 needs much improvement, but I definitely wanted a bit of insulation between me and the webbing on the seat and backrest for cold weather hunts. Been doing the same for stand hunting and it's worked great for many years. $25 for this thermaseat two person ladder stand cushion, 34" x 17" x .75", cut width wise at 17.5" and it fits the seat and back perfect. Used the nylon straps it came with to secure it. Also put two of the DanO satchels (standard size) on the molle's on each side to hold tethrd hys strap, tether, squirrel steps and linesmans belt. They also make great pockets for phone, etc, once your hunting. And I removed the bow holder D rings from the left side. Forgot I was using them on a hunt and went into a lean; bow almost dropped to the ground. And I like the bow hanging from the tree better anyhow.
05382bcce77ff20ad877f12390abb1b0.jpg

Sent from up in a tree

All you need now is a pillow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, thats swee!. Can you seat still foldup and back with it on, or do you have to take it off? It looks almost like it was made for it.
I just fold the bottom part of the cushion up against my back when I fold up the seat of the hybrid

Good idea, I own a JX3, so just wandering about the leg loops? Do you choose not to wear them with this set up. Thanks

Just a thought for you diy’ers from a hammock user, with the insulation between you and the seat you lose a lot of R value to compression what if you formed a quilted pad on the outside to hold your heat in just like a under and over quilt in the hammock world.

Just a thought for you diy’ers from a hammock user, with the insulation between you and the seat you lose a lot of R value to compression what if you formed a quilted pad on the outside to hold your heat in just like a under and over quilt in the hammock world.
This happens with loosely packed insulation like down, but the closed cell insulation in the thermaseat and wet/dry suits for SCUBA diving are designed to retain warmth under pressure, as the air can't leave the cells.

Good idea, I own a JX3, so just wandering about the leg loops? Do you choose not to wear them with this set up. Thanks

I would caution anyone against not using the leg loops once you leave the ground. If you fall with the linesman belt or tether connected, the belt loop can ride all the way up to your rib cage, and it does not feel good. I learned this while testing rappel gear at about 5' high. Might not be an issue for guys with a big belly though.

Sent from up in a tree

GTel...that makes since, that’s probably why a pad is so important under a sleeping bag.

Glad I found this. I got mine in a few weeks ago and made a 10hr sit in it the first time out yesterday. Shot a turkey ive been after since 2017 from it! Triple bearded Eastern 1.5 8.5 7.5 with 1 3/16 spurs! I had to let John know about it because had I only had my vest, no way I could've waited out that bird. Anyway the only thing I found that might help me was a little cushioning and the seat may stretch out or form some with use, maybe someone can comment on that.

Back