• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel Flex

Brian6594

Been doing the research.
For what’s included, features, safety and price I really feel this may be my best option as a noob.
Looking for feedback.

Are there other options or mods on this site?
I am like a fresh piece of clay so mold me

I
Been doing the research.
For what’s included, features, safety and price I really feel this may be my best option as a noob.
Looking for feedback.

Are there other options or mods on this site?
I am like a fresh piece of clay so mold me
I have a size one Flex (my waist is 30-31) that has plenty of room for me, I think size one fits up to 36. I am in South Central PA, Cumberland County if you wanted to try to see one before you take the leap.

The kit gets you the saddle + and lineman's belt and tree tether. They are made with Prusiks and tenders + locking carabiners that are a touch heavy but very safe. With 30+ years in the arborist field, Aero Hunter has a great safety record.

Some Threads:

There are certainly other options: Tethrd's Mantis, Aero Hunter's Kite, Aero Hunter's Kestrel, and Trophyline should release a saddle soon.

Here is my take on the flex:

+'s (others add please)
  • Great comfort and adjustability/ versatility
  • Pleat helps you adjust comfort depending on standing/leaning, amount of clothes, body shape, etc
  • "frame" of the saddle is very well built
  • Reflective thread in lineman's loops, bridge connections
  • I love the webbing style bridge, I bought the openable but would get the closed webbing if I had a redo
  • I personally appreciate the raptor buckles on the legs (not everyone does)
  • I like the prusik tenders that comes standard on the ropes
  • Very responsive customer service, actual phone number to call that allows you to speak with someone
Other non-essential +'s
  • Built in Oregon by a small business (30+ years experience)
  • Sweet camo patterns (vain, I know but it's still cool!)
  • Decades of arborist experience
  • I would order again
-'s
  • Not as minimalist as the Tethrd Mantis or Wild Edge Yarak
  • The stock ropes are great, super safe, but also a bit bulky (other companies have similar stock ropes)
  • There is a strange rubberish coating on the inside of the saddle that will wear. Not a big deal, but is not aesthetically pleasing.
  • Some edges get frays, mostly on the inside of the saddle. Again not a big deal, just not pleasing to the eye. That said the outside of the saddle looks awesome to me.
  • A few who bought the first few offered for sale have reported some issues with the fabric pulling a bit (not a safety issue), but doesn't seem to be an issue on the bulk of the 1000's that are in use. Also, seems like Aero Hunter has always "done right by the customer" in these cases, fwiw.

Holy smokes.
That was more than I ever anticipated.
I really appreciate all the information!

O.G.B.

I

I have a size one Flex (my waist is 30-31) that has plenty of room for me, I think size one fits up to 36. I am in South Central PA, Cumberland County if you wanted to try to see one before you take the leap.

The kit gets you the saddle + and lineman's belt and tree tether. They are made with Prusiks and tenders + locking carabiners that are a touch heavy but very safe. With 30+ years in the arborist field, Aero Hunter has a great safety record.

Some Threads:

There are certainly other options: Tethrd's Mantis, Aero Hunter's Kite, Aero Hunter's Kestrel, and Trophyline should release a saddle soon.

Here is my take on the flex:

+'s (others add please)
  • Great comfort and adjustability/ versatility
  • Pleat helps you adjust comfort depending on standing/leaning, amount of clothes, body shape, etc
  • "frame" of the saddle is very well built
  • Reflective thread in lineman's loops, bridge connections
  • I love the webbing style bridge, I bought the openable but would get the closed webbing if I had a redo
  • I personally appreciate the raptor buckles on the legs (not everyone does)
  • I like the prusik tenders that comes standard on the ropes
  • Very responsive customer service, actual phone number to call that allows you to speak with someone
Other non-essential +'s
  • Built in Oregon by a small business (30+ years experience)
  • Sweet camo patterns (vain, I know but it's still cool!)
  • Decades of arborist experience
  • I would order again
-'s
  • Not as minimalist as the Tethrd Mantis or Wild Edge Yarak
  • The stock ropes are great, super safe, but also a bit bulky (other companies have similar stock ropes)
  • There is a strange rubberish coating on the inside of the saddle that will wear. Not a big deal, but is not aesthetically pleasing.
  • Some edges get frays, mostly on the inside of the saddle. Again not a big deal, just not pleasing to the eye. That said the outside of the saddle looks awesome to me.
  • A few who bought the first few offered for sale have reported some issues with the fabric pulling a bit (not a safety issue), but doesn't seem to be an issue on the bulk of the 1000's that are in use. Also, seems like Aero Hunter has always "done right by the customer" in these cases, fwiw.

Great info. I don't have much to offer, but I've used both the original kestrel and flex.

I prefer the flex, based on feel and there is less hip pinch for me and the flex doesn't ride up or down like my original kestrel did. But a lot of my problem was fine tuning bridge length and tether positioning on the tree. Whatever you go with, play with both to fine tune your setup. In my experience, body type and personal preference play a big role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back