• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel vs Flex comparison...

Stevey220

No not me. I'm not that talented with a sewing machine but I know there are a lot of people here that are. I can't be the only one thinking about doing this or wondering if it's even possible. Hopefully someone that has the skill is also thinking about or already doing this conversion and willing to share some details.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: KRN
My first question is have we determined the flex is better than the kestrel and this would be worth doing? I had both and I would chose the kestrel over the flex.

My first question is have we determined the flex is better than the kestrel and this would be worth doing? I had both and I would chose the kestrel over the flex.

Please elaborate......I love my flex but have never had just the kestrel. I have a mantis and the flex is more comfortable hands down. But what makes the kestrel better in your opinion?

I think for larger guys, the extra 3.5” in seat material on the Flex goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. The others were down right torturous to sit in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good points. I have a Flex that I stitched the top pleat closed. I like it much better now. I'm going to try tacking the bottom pleat to see if it is an improvement or it takes too much out. I would not be considered large.

Please elaborate......I love my flex but have never had just the kestrel. I have a mantis and the flex is more comfortable hands down. But what makes the kestrel better in your opinion?
The flex was very comfortable for me in its closed position. Once I opened it up it wasn't comfortable anymore. Any time I would need to make an adjustment to the position of the saddle, mostly pulling it down, it would open up and it was very difficult, almost impossible, to close it while I was sitting it in. My routine for setting up in my saddle is to loosen the waist belt, then pull the saddle down to where it should sit, and every time the flex would open. I'm sure I could have sewed it shut and it would have been fine, but I have a kestrel and a kite and they're more comfortable to me so I sold the flex.

Most of the reviews I've seen seems to say the comfort level is a wash compared to the Kestrel but I watched DIYSportsman's review and he says that the flex design is supposed to eliminate the need to adjust it below the belt as well as the issue of the saddle wanting to ride up while hanging. That's a plus for me if it's true but can't get myself to spend another $250 to find out. Especially considering I only just bought my Kestrel this year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The flex was very comfortable for me in its closed position. Once I opened it up it wasn't comfortable anymore. Any time I would need to make an adjustment to the position of the saddle, mostly pulling it down, it would open up and it was very difficult, almost impossible, to close it while I was sitting it in. My routine for setting up in my saddle is to loosen the waist belt, then pull the saddle down to where it should sit, and every time the flex would open. I'm sure I could have sewed it shut and it would have been fine, but I have a kestrel and a kite and they're more comfortable to me so I sold the flex.

I pull mine down as well once I'm hunting but for the flex the waist belt just stays in place rather than slide it down under me as well. I find the expansion of the material they key for comfort atleast for my body type. When I use my mantis I end up lowering it like you are describing and in time I run out of comfortable places to put the straps and end up moving/fidgeting more than I should looking for comfort. I understand it being a personal preference I think you are the first I have seen that did not like the pleated part. In fact it has me eyeballing the Yarak being it appears to be a mesh version of the flex. I may be selling my mantis in the future and ordering a yarak (if the ever become available again)

I pull mine down as well once I'm hunting but for the flex the waist belt just stays in place rather than slide it down under me as well. I find the expansion of the material they key for comfort atleast for my body type. When I use my mantis I end up lowering it like you are describing and in time I run out of comfortable places to put the straps and end up moving/fidgeting more than I should looking for comfort. I understand it being a personal preference I think you are the first I have seen that did not like the pleated part. In fact it has me eyeballing the Yarak being it appears to be a mesh version of the flex. I may be selling my mantis in the future and ordering a yarak (if the ever become available again)
When I pulled it down like that I felt like I was sitting in a bucket. Like you said, personal preference for sure.

When I pulled it down like that I felt like I was sitting in a bucket. Like you said, personal preference for sure.

Were yours both size 2? I would imagine a size 1 Flex is comparable to a size 2 Kestrel. A size 2 flex has to be huge.

The flex panel opening/closing is a total nonstarter for me. Mine stays open, you definitely have to mod it with elastic to get it to close.

Were yours both size 2? I would imagine a size 1 Flex is comparable to a size 2 Kestrel. A size 2 flex has to be huge.

The flex panel opening/closing is a total nonstarter for me. Mine stays open, you definitely have to mod it with elastic to get it to close.
Mine is a size 2

Yes, both size 2.

I think the flex and yarak are both very comfortable as well as the kestrel.

I think it really depends on how you hunt. I think where the comfort really suffered with the flex and yarak is when you straddle the tree. It comes further down the thigh and kinda digs in. Have to pull it up or I guess close the pleat to get comfortable.

Thinking more on this, I will say that I never just left the flex on at my waist and pulled it down to just open the pleat. I pulled it down to where it was comfortable and wanted to use the pleat to micro adjust comfort. Maybe I wasn't using it as designed.

Thinking more on this, I will say that I never just left the flex on at my waist and pulled it down to just open the pleat. I pulled it down to where it was comfortable and wanted to use the pleat to micro adjust comfort. Maybe I wasn't using it as designed.

For me it distributed my weight more evenly and kept it from concentrating on the two straps. I think that's where the comfort lies, kinda like the fleece saddles or hammock ideas. They can spread the material out from their arm pits to the back of their knees. I can only imagine if you are more of a sitter than a leaner this has to be comfortable. I feel like the flex is trying to be more of a double duty as far as that goes.

Probably like a lot of other stuff here...gotta keep it in context.
Body size, shape, platform or ROS, bridge length, tether height, sitter or leaner, saddle shape, temps when you hunt...all comes into play.

I had both. The Flex was okay but I didn't care for the rubbery liner against my clothes. I advertised it and sold in in a few hours. I love my Kestrel.

I might like our new (yet to be finished) piece of gear even more. I'm testing some new stuff right now.

I hate the phrase "game changer" and the "S" word has been banned. But I'm excited about this other option. Tick tock.

Back