• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kifaru Duplex Lite vs Duplex Tactical?

Plebe

SH Member
Anyone have experience with both of these?

I can get the Tactical for $298 (multicam); the Lite is $368 (ranger green).

Weight difference is 10-14oz. I'd like the weight savings, but don't think it's so significant.

I'm wondering if the skeletonized Duplex Lite provides noticibly more ventilation. That could be a decision point for me. Even though I hunt up North, I sweat packing my gear in even in a t-shirt. Less sweat and less contact on my back is better.

Also, @JCLINE84, et al, I am 6'3. I was planning on a 26" frame but don't see myself hunting anything but whiteails for quite awhile. Is the 24" frame the better option? I know folks have said they would consider downsizing for deer.

Thanks.

@Plebe - I took the plunge and purchased the Kifaru Duplex Lite frame with the 22 Magnum pack this year and have used it extensively this season. I can't offer the comparative perspective you seek because I've never used the Tactical frame. I'm 6'0" and got the 24" Duplex Lite frame and love it. The shorter frame was on recommendation from @JCLINE84, who went with the 26" frame and suggested that if he was to do it over again, he'd get the 24" because it gives more clearance / less snagging when you're busting through cover. I've hunted in temps in the 80's in the early season and the ventilation with the Duplex Lite was excellent even when I was really hot and sweaty. Not sure how price sensitive you are, but you might want to take the long term view - if you're planning on keeping the pack for life, what's the price difference really mean over that span of time?

@Plebe - I took the plunge and purchased the Kifaru Duplex Lite frame with the 22 Magnum pack this year and have used it extensively this season. I can't offer the comparative perspective you seek because I've never used the Tactical frame. I'm 6'0" and got the 24" Duplex Lite frame and love it. The shorter frame was on recommendation from @JCLINE84, who went with the 26" frame and suggested that if he was to do it over again, he'd get the 24" because it gives more clearance / less snagging when you're busting through cover. I've hunted in temps in the 80's in the early season and the ventilation with the Duplex Lite was excellent even when I was really hot and sweaty. Not sure how price sensitive you are, but you might want to take the long term view - if you're planning on keeping the pack for life, what's the price difference really mean over that span of time?

@LoadedLimbs, many thanks for the response. Glad you are enjoying the setup.

I agree, in the long run, $70 (rg)- $100 (aples-apples, multicam) difference is a drop in the bucket in the long run and I should get what I really want rather than settle for a sweet deal.

I've scoured rockslide and elsewhere, and opinions are split on the preferred frame. That's why my feet are in two boats.

I know the Tactical is preferred for very heavy loads...that I can't imagine having to haul as a primarily whitetail hunter. As well, it's the pick for odd shaped loads. While I might haul stands or platforms, I'm not necessarily worried about anything poking me in the back.

On paper, the Lite seems more appropriate for a dayhunter such as myself (vice those who pack in and camp) for certain.

But, I did read where one person claimed the ventilation advantage of the Lite is neutralized once a bag is added (preventing airflow from the skeletonized gap). In that case, for a few ounces, you have those aforementioned advantages...that I don't anticipate needing.

Like you, I saw @JCLINE84's recommendation. I don't have experience backpacking heavy loads, so I wasn't sure if at 6'3" the 24" frame would give enough lift for my use. I don't want to short myself for anticipated loads (deer plus gear). I'm about 18.25"ish torso. But, yeah, less snaggy is very attractive.

The only other difference I see is the lumbar pad attachment. The Tactical pad looks to enable some movement, which I suppose could be good or bad, whereas the Lite is pretty fixed.

I'm leaning Lite. Appreciate your feedback.

@LoadedLimbs, et al,

FYI, Black Friday sale, so there isn't much of a cost advantage at all. I've gone with the Lite.

Any comment on preference of 22mag vs. Stryker XL?

Thanks.

@Plebe - I think it comes down to your answers to a few questions:
Q1: How much internal bag space do you want/need to carry your typical system of hunting gear?
Q2: Do you plan to pack out your deer?

For me, I would not want to go smaller than the the 22 mag setup because I do not wear my saddle in - I carry it in my pack and take it out at the tree. I also generally use SRT or JRB rope climbing method, and store my gear for that in my pack. The Stryker XL is 1500 sq-in whereas the 22mag is 2200 sq-in. I also purchased the medium and large pouches to mount on the molle panels on the front of the main bag, same as JCLINE84 shows in his YouTube video - cut right to 18:30 if you want to hear him talk about his pack setup:

Link: Saddle hunting gear dump 2021 Why I use what I use

I use all the space the pack & pouches offer, and I wouldn't want to work with less, although the Stryker XL's load shelf lets you expand what you carry if you spread the bag out further from the frame.

I prefer the configuration for access to the main compartment that's offered by the 22mag pack. You can easily unzip it partially and access through the top of the bag, or unzip it fully and access through the front. (Their product video demonstrates this.) The Stryker looks like it's more of a tombstone-shaped access into the main compartment that only zips down to the top of the nalgene bottle pockets on the sides. (I'm not positive about that, but that's how it looks in the product video.) Packs that I have that are of a similar configuration don't permit me to access gear quite as easily as my 22mag pack.

In my case, I don't ever plan to pack out any deer, so that feature of the Stryker XL has no appeal to me ... but if a person wants that capability, the 22mag doesn't offer it so it wouldn't be the best choice.

The cool thing with Kifaru is that once you buy the frame and first pack, if you want to try a different pack later, you can buy the bag and swap it out on the frame, so you're not going to be stuck with your initial bag choice if you find it's not working great for your purposes down the road.

@Plebe - I think it comes down to your answers to a few questions:
Q1: How much internal bag space do you want/need to carry your typical system of hunting gear?
Q2: Do you plan to pack out your deer?

For me, I would not want to go smaller than the the 22 mag setup because I do not wear my saddle in - I carry it in my pack and take it out at the tree. I also generally use SRT or JRB rope climbing method, and store my gear for that in my pack. The Stryker XL is 1500 sq-in whereas the 22mag is 2200 sq-in. I also purchased the medium and large pouches to mount on the molle panels on the front of the main bag, same as JCLINE84 shows in his YouTube video - cut right to 18:30 if you want to hear him talk about his pack setup:

Link: Saddle hunting gear dump 2021 Why I use what I use

I use all the space the pack & pouches offer, and I wouldn't want to work with less, although the Stryker XL's load shelf lets you expand what you carry if you spread the bag out further from the frame.

I prefer the configuration for access to the main compartment that's offered by the 22mag pack. You can easily unzip it partially and access through the top of the bag, or unzip it fully and access through the front. (Their product video demonstrates this.) The Stryker looks like it's more of a tombstone-shaped access into the main compartment that only zips down to the top of the nalgene bottle pockets on the sides. (I'm not positive about that, but that's how it looks in the product video.) Packs that I have that are of a similar configuration don't permit me to access gear quite as easily as my 22mag pack.

In my case, I don't ever plan to pack out any deer, so that feature of the Stryker XL has no appeal to me ... but if a person wants that capability, the 22mag doesn't offer it so it wouldn't be the best choice.

The cool thing with Kifaru is that once you buy the frame and first pack, if you want to try a different pack later, you can buy the bag and swap it out on the frame, so you're not going to be stuck with your initial bag choice if you find it's not working great for your purposes down the road.

Again, thanks @LoadedLimbs. All good points.

I agree about the zippers, I'd prefer a different configuration on the Stryker XL. But I decided to go that route nonetheless, for reasons you mention.

I typically strap my bibs and coat onto the exterior of a stand or pack, so they'll go in the load shelf. As will my platform. After that, I don't need much interior bag space. Puffy vest or jacket, baselayers and socks to change into, kill kit, lights, and a few extras.

And I will debone and pack the animal out.

Looking forward to the rig, thanks for your help.

Yep, I've seen it, listed below each duplex frame on their website. I was looking for input from some of the crowd here, but it is a good starting comparison and interesting that Aron is pretty open about his preference.

3301F0B7-D5CC-4AAC-97BA-BCE50A004F90.png

Again, thanks @LoadedLimbs. All good points.

I agree about the zippers, I'd prefer a different configuration on the Stryker XL. But I decided to go that route nonetheless, for reasons you mention.

I typically strap my bibs and coat onto the exterior of a stand or pack, so they'll go in the load shelf. As will my platform. After that, I don't need much interior bag space. Puffy vest or jacket, baselayers and socks to change into, kill kit, lights, and a few extras.

And I will debone and pack the animal out.

Looking forward to the rig, thanks for your help.
I have no doubt that you're going to be very satisfied with your setup!

I’m sorry I’m just seeing this, and yes they’re having a big sale this week so jump on it. Now my experience and recommendation.

I am between 6’1 and 6’2 205 pounds 32 inch waist. I went with the 26 inch duplex lite after speaking with Aron Snyder. If I was doing it again I would go with the 24 duplex lite because even being tall the 26 inch frame is always snagging when I have to duck under limbs. The 24 is plenty tall enough to use the load lifters and would even work well if I was hunting out west for elk. The smaller bags like the 22 mag and the Stryker fit the 24 inch frame much better too. I prefer the duplex lite over the tactical and the ultra light. The ultra light is too flimsy for hauling a tree stand. The plastic sheet is too thin and will get bent or broken on the edges.
As far as bags, I think the 22 mag is the perfect whitetail bag. The layout is awesome with a medium and large belt pouch attached to the front or a single Sherman pocket attached to the front. If you are going to haul tree stands the Stryker xl or original Stryker would probably be a better fit for you but it doesn’t have the organization and perfect layout of the 22mag. Belt pouches on the front would be a must for that bag. I also recommend getting some of their lashing straps that connect to the frame so you can strap your sticks and things on the front of the bag but directly to the frame instead of using the straps that run accoss the sides of the bag itself. They’ll hold the e weight but the sticks carry much better with the straps that connect to the sides of the frame.
Since you went with the Stryker you won’t need the lashing straps but I mentioned everything I could think of so future guys looking for pack advice will have it.

I’m sorry I’m just seeing this, and yes they’re having a big sale this week so jump on it. Now my experience and recommendation.

I am between 6’1 and 6’2 205 pounds 32 inch waist. I went with the 26 inch duplex lite after speaking with Aron Snyder. If I was doing it again I would go with the 24 duplex lite because even being tall the 26 inch frame is always snagging when I have to duck under limbs. The 24 is plenty tall enough to use the load lifters and would even work well if I was hunting out west for elk. The smaller bags like the 22 mag and the Stryker fit the 24 inch frame much better too. I prefer the duplex lite over the tactical and the ultra light. The ultra light is too flimsy for hauling a tree stand. The plastic sheet is too thin and will get bent or broken on the edges.
As far as bags, I think the 22 mag is the perfect whitetail bag. The layout is awesome with a medium and large belt pouch attached to the front or a single Sherman pocket attached to the front. If you are going to haul tree stands the Stryker xl or original Stryker would probably be a better fit for you but it doesn’t have the organization and perfect layout of the 22mag. Belt pouches on the front would be a must for that bag. I also recommend getting some of their lashing straps that connect to the frame so you can strap your sticks and things on the front of the bag but directly to the frame instead of using the straps that run accoss the sides of the bag itself. They’ll hold the e weight but the sticks carry much better with the straps that connect to the sides of the frame.
Since you went with the Stryker you won’t need the lashing straps but I mentioned everything I could think of so future guys looking for pack advice will have it.

Thanks Jamie. I took your advice and went with the 24" duplex lite. Enjoyed your gear dump vid too, that was pretty informative.

I'm feeling very confident in my choices thanks to you and @LoadedLimbs.

I probably should have added the gun bearer though, that looks efficient.

Wish the duplex lite was on sale and not just the tactical.

don’t think so…

I do, bought one this morning.

Select the pack, enter your setup. Watch the magic of the price dropping to $320 for Multicam, $294 for Ranger Green.

765F866C-72D1-490E-B78E-CE24D2F32382.png

Last edited:
The only bad thing about this setup is hanging it in the tree. I put it at 1-2 o clock and just don’t worry about it. But it does take up a lot of room. If you can get past that it’s going to be too much pack for pretty much everything to do with saddle hunting. And I love me some overkill. Take the time you’re waiting for it to arrive to watch the adjustment videos for your frame and you’ll hit the ground running when you get it

In case you’re worried about the 24 inch not being tall enough here is my 26 towering way too high for ducking under limbs, and I only have the load lifters connected to the middle attachment point2423FDA6-4DEF-4509-A97C-63DB1B54DE40.png

Last edited:
The only bad thing about this setup is hanging it in the tree. I put it at 1-2 o clock and just don’t worry about it. But it does take up a lot of room. If you can get past that it’s going to be too much pack for pretty much everything to do with saddle hunting. And I love me some overkill. Take the time you’re waiting for it to arrive to watch the adjustment videos for your frame and you’ll hit the ground running when you get it

I agree completely on the overkill. Nothing I hate worse than trying to stuff extra gear into an already stuffed pack, and even worse trying to get something out when you need it or just not using something because of the headache to get to it. There is not much penalty for carrying an overly large pack to me.

As for hanging it in the tree, I have been using a MR Pintler all season, I can’t imagine it will be much different size wise. I really like the design of the Latitude Outdoors gear strap for hanging a pack. It makes it super easy to raise or lower the pack as you need to access it.

@JCLINE84 I would love to see a complete pack dump video or more specifically your sticks and platform attachment if the pack dump is too much trouble.

Back