• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knee issues (sprained knee)

lawrence

SH Member
So been saddle hunting for a few years. Sprained my right knee this year while practicing. I use knee pads. If I sit or sit/stand sit .. my sprained knee leaves me limping for days. Looking for some suggestions for ways to work around this.

Try a good brace. Something that is rigid and holds the knee cap in place. Other than that you may want to sit and keep that leg straight. Don’t add any pressure.

Come to the light, the JX3 tree saddle light..............
Don't be afraid, you will sit from dark to dark very comfortably, be able to snooze when you want, no dreaded hip pinch, no back aches, you can shoot 360° around the tree.
No platform required, only a ROS, no knee pads required, no sore knees, built in pack frame for carrying all your needs.
Come to the light, the JX3 light...........

I worked as a PTA for years and I also tore a medial meniscus in 2018. They had to scope my knee. Not saying that is what you did but you obviously haven’t healed. It may be worth getting an MRI just to rule out an ACL, MCL, or meniscus tear. If you don’t have anything like that it could just take lots of rest and time to really heal up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So been saddle hunting for a few years. Sprained my right knee this year while practicing. I use knee pads. If I sit or sit/stand sit .. my sprained knee leaves me limping for days. Looking for some suggestions for ways to work around this.

I had a sprained MCL. Treestand was the only answer as the Saddle put too much pressure on it.

I have a macerated meniscus in my right knee and it doesnt give me a whole.lot of trouble. I try to keep my leg muscles strong to help support my knee and to prolong the time i have before knee replacement becomes inevitable. I hope several decades,i am 48 now. I do second getting an MRI to really pinpoint what is going on in there. I got one and know now what's up.

I did something to my knee three weeks ago. I drug a deer out. And helped a friend wheel one out. Have no idea what happened but over lunch my left knee started to tighten up. Didn’t bother me much climbing that afternoon. Did I mention I can space my bolts 30” after a long summer stepping up and down on a 30” box. When it came time to climb down it just wasn’t happening. Had to lower myself down with my arms onto every other step. Still not a hundred percent but it’s feeling better every day.

Nah, i had the same thing and it all heals eventually, even tears.

A true tear with scar tissue will only heal to about 80% of its original strength. And sometimes it just is what it is. But when you have the kind of pain he is having for that long of a time, it’s worth checking out.

I did something to my knee three weeks ago. I drug a deer out. And helped a friend wheel one out. Have no idea what happened but over lunch my left knee started to tighten up. Didn’t bother me much climbing that afternoon. Did I mention I can space my bolts 30” after a long summer stepping up and down on a 30” box. When it came time to climb down it just wasn’t happening. Had to lower myself down with my arms onto every other step. Still not a hundred percent but it’s feeling better every day.

Did you feel or hear a pop? I torn mine dragging a tree limb I had cut down. I felt a pretty serious pop and knew pretty quickly I had done something bad.

Did you feel or hear a pop? I torn mine dragging a tree limb I had cut down. I felt a pretty serious pop and knew pretty quickly I had done something bad.

Didn’t feel anything. Just noticed it tightening up while sitting in camp. The foot traffic only road we rolled the deer out on had #4 granite on it they put down a year ago when the logging crews were in there cutting. There were plenty of times I rolled off the edge of a rock pulling uphill.

Didn’t feel anything. Just noticed it tightening up while sitting in camp. The foot traffic only road we rolled the deer out on had #4 granite on it they put down a year ago when the logging crews were in there cutting. There were plenty of times I rolled off the edge of a rock pulling uphill.

I had what the ortho doc called a complex tear of the medial meniscus with a flap. I could walk around 80% of the time with zero pain but I guess when that flap would get compressed by my femur and tibia it would feel like fire shooting through my leg. That sucked. He cut out all the most damaged part and I have had little pain ever since.

I had what the ortho doc called a complex tear of the medial meniscus with a flap. I could walk around 80% of the time with zero pain but I guess when that flap would get compressed by my femur and tibia it would feel like fire shooting through my leg. That sucked. He cut out all the most damaged part and I have had little pain ever since.

Glad he got you fixed up. I’m going to give this a little while to heal up on it’s own. I don’t think it’s anything serious. Plus I’ve been sewn back together a bunch of times but never been cut on. Trying to keep it that way as long as I can.

If you can walk on it it will heal, 100% of the time.
I find that very hard to believe. Doing anything that leaves you limping for days afterwards repeatedly does not seem like a good idea. I'm not an expert but I don't think you are either.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

My buddy Jeremy walked around for 3 weeks after he tore his ACL before going to the doctor and eventually having to get surgery. He put it off as long as he could, guess what, it didn't heal itself. I'm just saying, no deer is worth having osteoarthritis of the knee for the rest of your life or being unable to climb a set of stairs. Go see a doctor, you are worth it.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Definitely not true in the case of a meniscus tear. Each time it catches it can tear a little more. By the time I broke down and had my surgery the meniscus was so badly torn they had to just remove most of it.

Meh, I tore my medial meniscus when I was 17 playing football, confirmed by MRI. I am 45 now and never had an issue with it since then despite having zero surgical intervention. So while its true that a meniscus tear may never fully heal based on where it is located as some areas are more blood rich than others it is ALSO true that it likely will never bother you again and your doctor wont recommend surgery for it the majority of the time. Back then, mine hurt on and off for about 6 months and has been fine now for 28 years.

Now, to each their own so if throwing 3 grand at it for an MRI and maybe PT makes you feel better about it to have at it. But most of these things you really can "walk it off".

Back