• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knee Pad - Tree Pad

skell

Staff member
SH Member
So, I currently use knee pads I have from days gone by roofing. They work fine, but I like the idea putting a pad on the tree to lean against in place of wearing knee pads. So, here's what I came up with to try out.

I started with a chunk of treadmill pad. Roughly 6" x 16" x ~1/4"

Pad Size.jpg

And a chunk of tiger stripe cordura (from ebay) roughtly 13.5" x 18" (Should have been a little larger)

Cordura Size.jpg

Sewed some 9" long 1" webbing into 90° angles

End Strap 90.jpg

Added a 4' long piece of webbing to one of them

Add long strap.jpg

Sewed the 90's to the ends of one half of the cordura. (I marked the corners of the pad first) Also, if you look at the picture with it complete, you will notice I should have added a small 1" piece of webbing in between the "v" on the end with the longer strap.

Sewed on straps.jpg

Folded cordura in two, long way with pad in between. Sewed long edge twice.

Sew Inside out.jpg

Flip right side out, fold in ends and sew with pad inside

Sew Ends.jpg

Picture with sewing complete

Sewing done.jpg

Added an ITW waveloc G-hook to the long strap. Roll it up for transport.

Size1.jpg

Size2.jpg

And out on the tree. I can't wait to give this a full trial run.

On Tree1.jpg

On Tree2.jpg

I like it. I can see that and a platform working well for all day rut sits.

I sure hope so. I don't mind knee pads. I'm just not a fan of wearing them for long periods. Now to add that platform to the arsenal...

I think you are onto something. I dont wanna wear knee pads. I might steal your idea but use a piece of memory foam as the pad. I just need to learn to sew;)

Thanks fellas!

I think you are onto something. I dont wanna wear knee pads. I might steal your idea but use a piece of memory foam as the pad. I just need to learn to sew;)

Plenty of ways to tweak this idea...I went with the fitness mat/treadmill pad because I saved the trimmings when we got our treadmill. Took me 2 years to come up with a use for them! As for sewing, dive in, it's not as hard as you might think. Unless you want it to look professional quality...LOL.

Very well done. Knee pads are a little hot and sweaty for me early season.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Agreed...one of my biggest gripes. Hopefully this ends the days of knee pads for me...

Thanks fellas!

Plenty of ways to tweak this idea...I went with the fitness mat/treadmill pad because I saved the trimmings when we got our treadmill. Took me 2 years to come up with a use for them! As for sewing, dive in, it's not as hard as you might think. Unless you want it to look professional quality...LOL.

What type of thread do I need? Is there any special thread for any of this stuff? I dont mind chancing my sewing skills on a knee pad that isnt going to hold me 20 feet up. What about thread for other stuff like aiders or something that is weight bearing?

@vabwhntr For non-weight bearing Gutermann Mara 100. For aiders/weight bearing Gutermann Tera 40. You'll probably want a larger needle for the Tera 40. Jeans or Universal size 18 or 19 worked best for me.

@vabwhntr For non-weight bearing Gutermann Mara 100. For aiders/weight bearing Gutermann Tera 40. You'll probably want a larger needle for the Tera 40. Jeans or Universal size 18 or 19 worked best for me.
Now in English please....lol I assume someone at the sewing shop would know what that stuff is. Thanks. My wife has a sewing machine so I just need to play around now.

I tried kneepads for one hunt and have been using a tree pad ever since. Mine is an anti fatigue mat and not nearly as big or beautiful. I’m surprised tethrd isn’t selling one of these.

Picked up batteries for the scale finally...weighs in at 4.4 oz if anyone other than myself was curious!
a74e163b6270bf709f71be3291fe9e29.jpg

Back