• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knee protection

I used the seat pad from my old XOP hang on for half of the season last year, switched over to Arc'teryx knee pads for the second half of the season. I'm sure it's mostly up to personal preference but I definitely preferred knee pads over a tree pad. Here's a short pro/con list I've compiled:

Seat cushion:
  • Pros:
    • can be cheaper
    • can use as a pillow during the pre-dawn snooze
  • Cons:
    • limits you to one spot on the tree
    • one extra thing to "set up" in the tree
    • doesn't work as well on smaller trees

Kneepads:
  • Pros:
    • works well with pivot platform or ROS
    • can wear on the walk in
    • provides knee protection for advanced climbing techniques
  • Cons:
    • most likely more expensive

I have only used the foam seat cushion with a platform style stand. I really liked it. Super comfy while sitting. Super cheap too since I already owned it. I don’t think I would like things strapped around my knees.

Last edited:
Arcteryx! Pros: Everything Cons: Price. I was opposed to buying them but once I tried them, no going back to anything else. You get what you pay for in these! You can find deals on occasion- I paid $55 with free shipping on a hot deal.
https://leaf.arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/knee-caps

John H., Hickory, NC

Keep your nose to the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

I got some off brand Arcteryx off eBay for like $20 and they work just fine. I can get three pairs of these for the price of the on brand ones. Don’t see the real deal being worth the price tag in this case.

I used the seat pad from my old XOP hang on for half of the season last year, switched over to Arc'teryx knee pads for the second half of the season. I'm sure it's mostly up to personal preference but I definitely preferred knee pads over a tree pad. Here's a short pro/con list I've compiled:

Seat cushion:
  • Pros:
    • can be cheaper
  • Cons:

Kneepads:
  • Pros:
  • Cons:
Thanks a lot for taking to time to type all that out. Very helpful! This is the best forum!

Arcteryx! Pros: Everything Cons: Price. I was opposed to buying them but once I tried them, no going back to anything else. You get what you pay for in these! You can find deals on occasion- I paid $55 with free shipping on a hot deal.
https://leaf.arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/knee-caps

John H., Hickory, NC

Okay, thank you!

I have only used the foam seat cushion with a platform style stand. I really liked it. Super comfy while sitting. Super sharp too since I already owned it. I don’t think I would like things strapped around my knees.
See that's what I was thinking. Thanks for the input.

I will add that another advantage of having the knee padsvs a pad to go around the tree is the protection they provide while climbing. I left mine off this weekend and still have a slight cut and bruise on my knee while doing some climbing practice and I inadvertently banged my knee on a step.

John H., Hickory, NC

I will add that another advantage of having the knee padsvs a pad to go around the tree is the protection they provide while climbing. I left mine off this weekend and still have a slight cut and bruise on my knee while doing some climbing practice and I inadvertently banged my knee on a step.

John H., Hickory, NC

Same thing happened to me. I was one sticking last weekend without my knee pads on and now they're all bruised up... at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

#1 advantage of knee pads is if you stop you can take a knee and not get your pants wet. Or when you stop to unpack at the base of the tree you can put a knee down and not get wet.
#2 advantage they protect your knees walking through brush
#3 advantage they protect your knees while you climb
# 4 advantage they are attached to you knee and go around the tree with you. Have you ever walked around the tree when a deer comes in only to find a sharp knot where your knee goes and get stuck there for awhile? It sucks.
I could probably come up with a couple more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunted opening day of the VA archery season in 2017 from sunrise until sundown and never got out of the tree.
I usually use a pad that I cut down to about 5" wide and it is strapped to the tree; I forgot it on that hunt.

Things I learned:
1. You don't need any padding for an all day sit.
2. You will want some sort of padding on an all day sit.
3. You can't cut off the circulation in your legs with a pad strapped to a tree, this is possible with knee pads because they are only needed for "sitters" as "leaners'" knees don't normally rest on the tree. This is the primary reason I won't use them.
4. Never hunt opening day from sunrise to sunset in VA...

Semper Fidelis

I hunted opening day of the VA archery season in 2017 from sunrise until sundown and never got out of the tree.
I usually use a pad that I cut down to about 5" wide and it is strapped to the tree; I forgot it on that hunt.

Things I learned:
1. You don't need any padding for an all day sit.
2. You will want some sort of padding on an all day sit.
3. You can't cut off the circulation in your legs with a pad strapped to a tree, this is possible with knee pads because they are only needed for "sitters" as "leaners'" knees don't normally rest on the tree. This is the primary reason I won't use them.
4. Never hunt opening day from sunrise to sunset in VA...

Semper Fidelis
I ended up going with the foam pad like the one @g2outdoors did in the YouTube video.
It's a much smaller investment and I can always upgrade later if I need to. Trying not to dump more money into this if i don't have to.

Seat cushion:
  • Pros:
    • can be cheaper
  • Cons:

Kneepads:
  • Pros:
  • Cons:

"Can use as a pillow during the pre-dawn snooze" that's the best pro I've heard for the cushion yet.

I ended up going with the foam pad like the one @g2outdoors did in the YouTube video.
It's a much smaller investment and I can always upgrade later if I need to. Trying not to dump more money into this if i don't have to.
After I switched to the cushion last year... I haven't worn knee pads since.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Anyone attach one of these knee pads to the bottom of their backpack or something similar such that its hanging in the right spot on the tree from their pack? Not sure how clear that is. Just trying to avoid having to attach one more thing to the tree if I can.

Last edited:
I attach my cushion to my Predator to pack in and for the climb.

I attach my cushion to my Predator to pack in and for the climb.

I updated my first earlier post to attempt to clear up my question assuming this was directed at me.

Back