• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knees on tree

Hillclimber

Does anybody have good ideas to keep knees from sliding? Maybe pick bigger like trees? Or what?

Does anybody have good ideas to keep knees from sliding? Maybe pick bigger like trees? Or what?

I strap one of those foam rubber seat pads for hunting to the tree and lean the knees against that. It’s a lot more comfortable than going without and kind of grabs onto the fabric of the bibs so you don’t slide at all leaning up against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that is a cool idea. I might have to try too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It definitely peaked my interest. I could see where it could make things a whole lot better. Even with my arcteryx knee pads on the tree still gets a little rough (atleast in shorts being that it's been 75 degrees in Texas this past week)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I wondered if it put too much pressure on the outside of the knees? It definitely looks pretty slick.

Just keep in mind your style of maneuvering for a shot (particularly on the weak side and drop shot angles) and make sure that it works within that process. just in case you do something funky, especially hunting leaners.

I cut a small piece of 3/8" plywood about 4"x15" and attached a garden pad to it. I strap the piece of plywood with pad to the tree at knee height with a camjam and it gives me a very comfortable place that is flat to rest my knees against. It doesn't impede my mobility if I need to rotate around the tree for a shot. The only downfall is the small amount of weight and bulk of the plywood and pad.

I'm going to try this as soon as the materials come in from Amazon. Hope it helps.

Wow, I like that! Thanks for sharing the video. BTW, Who is that in the vid? Thanks to him.
I occasionally use the tag end of my tether around my thighs with a slip knot. It does help keep knees together but the rope is a little uncomfortable after a short time.
Im going to try that strap method for sure.

Wow, I like that! Thanks for sharing the video. BTW, Who is that in the vid? Thanks to him.
I occasionally use the tag end of my tether around my thighs with a slip knot. It does help keep knees together but the rope is a little uncomfortable after a short time.
Not sure who's in the video but I definitely like the idea.

Paul Crave @PJC he has helped us with making Amsteel daisy chains also.

My method for the past three seasons.

39JgXqJ.jpg

My method for the past three seasons.

39JgXqJ.jpg
Not bad, but I think running the strap thru the knee pads allows the strap to take some of the load. The length of the strap can be adjusted so your weight (pushing against the tree) can be evenly distributed to knee pads AND the strap.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I use a rifle sling I had laying around. Just made it into a loop and put around legs. I dont put through the kneepads though. Found that after a while the sling would bite in. Much more comfortable to keep between pad and tree. Maye the wider webbing is better than my narrower sling. I run my top right knee pad strap through the back part of loop to keep in reachable distance. Kind of a yoga stretch pain in butt to reach it if it slips down to ankles. I keep the loop large enough to where my knees are on the sides of the tree and sling on tree. I haven't had a problem maneuvering around the tree with right length and can even step my left foot out of the loop pretty easily if I let that side drop to ankle. Next season I want to use my tethrd recliner for knee strap and make a fleece backstrap that is hopefully more comfortable than the tethrd recliner across my back. On my "I need to try to do list".

Back