• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knot name?

slonstdy

SH Member
Can someone tell me the name of this knot? I've never seen this one before but I can say it is easy to adjust and holds well. It came tied to a carabiner like that from aerotribe on my kestrel bridge. Standard bridge is way too long so I'm planning on removing the carabiner and tie a figure 8 directly to saddle until I splice in an amsteel bridge.

Attachments

• 20190902_192929.jpg
    20190902_192929.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 116

Tag is in the wrong place for a halyard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loosened the knot for the picture so I would know how to tie it back in if I needed to. From the looks of it, it's definitely a halyard hitch. Thanks for the help guys!

My bad, I always called it a fisherman’s. It is still the same knot but tied on a single rope and used for different purpose. See here, referred to as a poachers knot.

I would have called it a (double) fisherman’s as well. Seems like Halyard, Poacher and Fisherman’s are the same knot? I think fisherman’s refers to the use of this knot to join two ropes.

That seems right, except the tag on the halyard goes out the top and the knot slides and bonds it down to tighten the knot. On the fisherman’s or poachers, the knot is tightened with the tag going out the bottom toward the working end of the rope and the knot can slide. A double fisherman’s is what we use in my fire department to join two ends of 8mm to make our prusiks

It is good practice to put a stopper on any knot, or have it stitched

A stopper knot would get bulky, but is advisable. What I do is tie the tail somehow, to keep it from pulling out. I have used zip ties, or whipping with coarse thread.

Back