• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kong Duck users

twobiscuit

SH Member
Do any of you that use the Kong Ducks have any issues with trust? This year will be my second year as a saddle hunter and I have the 8mm oplux ropes and 2 kong ducks. After watching this video, it has me questioning my choice. I'm wondering if the CT rollnlock would be better suited for my needs.

well...... with the rollnlock you can use the pully option and your tether to help hang your catch for field dressing

With a shock load of about 4kn, both of those devices have the potential to cut your rope.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

You can use long to lift loads as well. I rigged up a pulley and was able to hoist myself up fairly easily as well.

Sent from parts unknown

For some reason Kong does not recommend loading the side plates of the device with your weight. CT roll n lock says it is OK on their device. Are the side plates on the Kong weak or is the attachment of the side plates weak. I would say if you use the Kong you don't have any issues with trust. :D But should you?

The Duck has been used for quite a while by lots of people without problem, I trust mine.

Again, the weakness of the Duck is the weakness of the RollNLock is the weakness of the Ropeman1 is the weakness of all similar devices--no matter how strong the sideplates are, at a sudden load of about 4kn they can cut your rope or shear and strip the sheath.

When hanging from the Kong, how can you be sure your load is supported by the carabiner and not strictly by the Kong as the manufacturer warns against? I am having trouble visualizing how this is possible if you are the load. Why don't other manufacturers have a similar warning? CT RNL, no. Ropeman 1 and 2 no. Is the Kong really an ascender for human use?

When hanging from the Kong, how can you be sure your load is supported by the carabiner and not strictly by the Kong as the manufacturer warns against? I am having trouble visualizing how this is possible if you are the load. Why don't other manufacturers have a similar warning? CT RNL, no. Ropeman 1 and 2 no. Is the Kong really an ascender for human use?
This is my thought too. I just can't see how it's possible either.

I have ran kongs and ropeman 1s. Never felt like either were unsafe. No matter what you use always back it up with an autoblock

With a shock load of about 4kn, both of those devices have the potential to cut your rope.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

The teeth on the Kong and CT aren’t nearly as aggressive as the Ropeman 1. Have you seen any testing that shows the Kong or CT have the same issue as the Ropeman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The teeth on the Kong and CT aren’t nearly as aggressive as the Ropeman 1. Have you seen any testing that shows the Kong or CT have the same issue as the Ropeman?

No, I assume that is why they have the 4kn rating.

BTW, I use a Duck on my tether since I started using an 8mm tether. I often use a low tether and a friction knot is too long for my use.

Just wondering if anyone has seen testing showing the Kong or CT shearing rope the way a Ropeman can. My small brain tells me the teeth on the ropeman look too big especially when using larger rope or carabiner which puts the largest teeth against the sheath of the rope. I trust the CT even on my bridge but I’m still fighting with whether I should really be using it that way. I like the compactness of the mechanical compared the friction hitches for being able to turn myself. I also back up with an alpine butterfly knot.

Back