• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kuiu Proximity line.

CP3

I purchased and received a set of the new Kuiu Proximity line of late season hunting wear. Full disclosure, I’ve never owned “nice” high end hunting clothes. So, I’m ignorant as to what to compare it to. And, this is only the “unboxing” phase of the “review”.

Jacket: Both pant and jacket are warm. Hot really. This IS cold weather gear. This is not like other Kuiu gear that sacrifices warmth for weight.

The jacket fits great at the proper size. I did NOT size up to to allow for under layers and I’m glad I didn’t. I have plenty of room for layers and it’s not bulky. If I would have sized up it would have been to bulky.
  • Pit zips
  • Great pockets
  • Zoned insulation
  • Great hood
  • Quiet. Very quiet
  • more
Jacket is light and sleek, but beefy and robust at the same time. I really like the Jacket so far.

Pant: I really like the jacket, but I may like the “pant” more. This is a pant/bib. As saddle hunters the updraft under the back of our jacket is a real issue. These pants fix that. A high back pant with a slightly longer jacket.
  • Full zip pant
  • Great suspenders
  • Great pocket system
I DID order one pant size up. And it’s perfect for layering. So, order the jacket true to size, and go one pant size up.

This is a very warm system that’s lean enough to be used in a saddle.

I’ve not hunted with it yet. But, I’m impressed. This a clear and distinctly different direction from Kuiu. I suspect this system will rock in the stand, with options to vent on the walk in, and will pack down reasonably.

Not cheap, but more inexpensive than Sitka. Quilty in components seems excellent.

I might have to look into those pants, sounds like what I'm looking for

"Honey, you're having me take pictures of you to post on the internet where?"

Thanks for that actually lol the photos add a lot to the description since this stuff is new. If you're willing, sharing your ht/wt/inseam and size selections may also be of use to some on here.

Marketing materials call it wind resistant, how do you think it's going to perform there? First Lite after a few years finally upgraded their whitetail outerwear line to somewhere closer to windproof after wind resistant was their big stumble out of the gate. I like my Woodbury jacket but definitely need a windbreaker in any decent breeze.

Also if you could show how it packs down with something for scale that would be mucho appreciated.

Marketing materials call it wind resistant, how do you think it's going to perform there? First Lite after a few years finally upgraded their whitetail outerwear line to somewhere closer to windproof after wind resistant was their big stumble out of the gate. I like my Woodbury jacket but definitely need a windbreaker in any decent breeze.

Also if you could show how it packs down with something for scale that would be mucho appreciated.

I only have the jacket. But the wind resistance is my worry also….

this is the jacket rolled into its hood:

3D52FF8F-569B-4B73-A3A9-FA3A30478022.jpeg

"Honey, you're having me take pictures of you to post on the internet where?"

Thanks for that actually lol the photos add a lot to the description since this stuff is new. If you're willing, sharing your ht/wt/inseam and size selections may also be of use to some on here.

No problem.
6”1
xl for jacket
38 pant
I think it’s all 34 inseam options on the pants.

Is the collar in the way for bow hunting?
Actually when fully zipped it’s up under my chin. I kept thinking it need to have more room so I can slide my face down in it to stay warm, but I bet they did that on purpose.

Actually when fully zipped it’s up under my chin. I kept thinking it need to have more room so I can slide my face down in it to stay warm, but I bet they did that on purpose.

Did you get the hat and face mask also?

I haven’t, and won’t have, a chance to test the wind proof. It’s 95 here and won’t be cool enough for several days.

I haven’t, and won’t have, a chance to test the wind proof. It’s 95 here and won’t be cool enough for several days.

A good proxy is to do a "blow test". Hold the fabric to your mouth and give it a good breath of air. Granted it's still subjective but that's the best way I've found to assess the relative wind resistance of different fabrics.

Reactions: CP3
A good proxy is to do a "blow test". Hold the fabric to your mouth and give it a good breath of air. Granted it's still subjective but that's the best way I've found to assess the relative wind resistance of different fabrics.
I’ll do that when I get home and report.

I suspect it will do well in wind because it is light, but seems very dense. I don’t know if I’m explaining this correctly.

That stuff looks really nice and comfortable. It would take a lot for me to sell my Stratus set for when/how I use it. Not saying its the best out there but for what I have tried personally its the best for me.

That stuff looks really nice and comfortable. It would take a lot for me to sell my Stratus set for when/how I use it. Not saying its the best out there but for what I have tried personally its the best for me.
I’ve heard others say this set would fall between the Stratus and Fanatic set in warmth.

I’ve heard others say this set would fall between the Stratus and Fanatic set in warmth.
Correct. That is exactly why I wouldn't sell my Stratus set. Just not worth making the switch, for me personally.

Quite a bit more insulation than the Stratus from what I'm seeing. A Stratus jacket is 24oz. Proximity is 31oz w 90/60g mapped insulation.

The Fanatic should be quite a bit warmer at 46 oz, with 120/80 mapped insulation and windstopper.

And it looks to be a bit less warm than the Eberhart scentlok collaboration:

Proximity Jacket: 160g/m^2 fleece, 90/60g mapped insulation, 97g/m^2 liner
vs
Scentlok Saddle Hunter Jacket: 180g/m^2 fleece, 100/80g mapped insulation, 180g/m^2 lining + windproof

So, the Proximity is probably closer to the Revenant Pro (100/60 mapped insulation) but without a windproof membrane.

Back