• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kuma or Arena??

KYHunter

I’m looking at getting either a Bear Kuma 30 or Bear Arena 30. I’d love some feedback from guys who have shot either bow??
Thanks in advance!

I had an Arena 34 and it was a tack driver. Killed several with it. Made great speed and kinetic energy at 60 and 29. Sold it to a new archer and he loves it. The kuma is a nice bow also but the 34 was just a great stable platform coupled with the limb stops and it was a solid killing machine.

Arena is less hefty by a few ounces, but has an extra 1/2” of brace height. That’s my vote for those two reasons, because the bows are almost identical otherwise.

I had an arena 30, accidentally dry fired and blew it up.... so I bought another one. It's what I use now, but if I had to buy one today I would get a Kuma off ebay. They have some show room models up for $399 right now. I have no doubt they are great bows.

Bear Archery recently replaced my 2017 Moment for a 2019 Kuma 30. I've never shot the Arena so can't give any insight on that bow. I have however put roughly 400 arrows through my Kuma 30 in the past month. With the roller hinge guard the draw cycle is VERY smooth. It took me a little while to adjust to the 75% let off (the Moment was 80%). I hear the valley is a bit short on the Kuma bit since I'm a BT activated shooter I don't even notice it. As far as stability goes I havent noticed any difference between the Kuma and the Moment. Vibrations are identical. This thing (like the Moment) is a tack driver.

Awesome feedback guys, thanks. Does the extra brace height in the Arena make it more forgiving?

Awesome feedback guys, thanks. Does the extra brace height in the Arena make it more forgiving?
That’s the general thinking. There’s a whole lot of math involved and actual shooting to know if that’s correct considering there’s only that 1/2” difference, so you might not think it’s all that more forgiving if the Kuma already draws like a pencil. I noticed a big difference in a 6.5” brace like I used to shoot and the 7.75” I shoot now, but again, the margin is greater.

That’s the general thinking. There’s a whole lot of math involved and actual shooting to know if that’s correct considering there’s only that 1/2” difference, so you might not think it’s all that more forgiving if the Kuma already draws like a pencil. I noticed a big difference in a 6.5” brace like I used to shoot and the 7.75” I shoot now, but again, the margin is greater.
Makes sense to me, it’s be ideal to shoot both but hardly anybody caries Bear bows around here

Makes sense to me, it’s be ideal to shoot both but hardly anybody caries Bear bows around here
Yeah, that can make it difficult to pick. Bear-to-Bear shouldn’t be too different with bows in the same price range. Maybe the Bear website has a find-a-dealer option?

Back