• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kydex Stepp Holders

iamcorey

Just built my first 5 stepp kydex holster. Do you guys cover the holster with material? If so what are you using? I’ve got camo wrap on the steps to silence. Concern if holster and Stepps have wrap or material it might impede deployment.

I’ll definitely cover the backside to protect magnets if I add them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't covered mine, but I know some folks are using stealth strips. I was thinking of an adhesive spray and a fleece material for the outside. Not sure about the inside yet. A thinner material for the inside might not impede the function and still quiet things down. I've only had mine for a short time so i haven't had a lot of time to get things worked out. Kinda glad I have a bunch of time before the next season because there's a lot I need to do.

Stealth stripped mine. Inside and out works great!

7a1cdefb3365b9483fad156c1cb60881.jpg

6906a98bdf03ca187c70f421c60f0479.jpg

When I worked construction we had a spray adhesive in an aerosol can, it was pretty good stuff. I don't know why you couldn't use a thin fleece or even old camo tree shirt without impeding what your doing.

So I’ve installed the magnets but the Stepps slide out. Not sure what is wrong. Only the first step is sticking. Got 5 in there. Using .080 thick kydex.
0ab23089e6a14ba697d6a45ccf95ccab.jpg

There may be little step contact with where they are on opposite side. Looks like your mags go straight up, instead of having a “v” to them.
This is my holster, put sewing clips on magnet locations so they’d show in pic

c92ad20ffa41c05fee8b0b8a650e0d56.jpg

Which magnets did you use? I used the amazon ones that The guy on YouTube used. 12 total. That should be sufficient correct? I think the arrangement of mine needs to be adjusted.

Ya just amazon ones as well. They’re not in my order history anymore, i’ll see if i can find specs on ones i used.

after changing formation of magnets, i ended up ordering 6 more. not sure why the youtube guy could get by with 12 and i could not.

So I’ve got 16 magnets now to hold up 5 steps. I must be doing something wrong because these things are still moving. The last two (top steps) are the ones not staying solid. At this point I feel like I have a ridiculous amount of magnets on there.
fca863a4e091415e0f25c0f376498a04.jpg

So I’ve got 16 magnets now to hold up 5 steps. I must be doing something wrong because these things are still moving. The last two (top steps) are the ones not staying solid. At this point I feel like I have a ridiculous amount of magnets on there.
fca863a4e091415e0f25c0f376498a04.jpg

For sure. I’m holding 5 steps no problem w 6 magnets. Are you trying to add a bunch of magnets all at the same time? They’ll want to push/pull each other constantly if you add to many at once.

I was having the same issue, not only would they move, but was adding unneeded weight. I scratched the magnets and went with a large wire tie, about 24 inches. With that I was able to hold them securely and pretty easy to use in the tree. This was my method last season. I will add pics tomorrow

For sure. I’m holding 5 steps no problem w 6 magnets. Are you trying to add a bunch of magnets all at the same time? They’ll want to push/pull each other constantly if you add to many at once.

Followed the YouTube video of 12. Added another 6 to test. Gonna remove and try again I guess.

I was having the same issue, not only would they move, but was adding unneeded weight. I scratched the magnets and went with a large wire tie, about 24 inches. With that I was able to hold them securely and pretty easy to use in the tree. This was my method last season. I will add pics tomorrow

Thanks. I was thinking attaching webbing and buckle to secure. Run it over the top of the steps.

Here is pic with the wire tie holding them in. Just use the molly loops and simply bend down as tight as you can just wrapping down and around back up on the outside. Have used this method at least a dozen times without any issue of them moving around while struggling through some tough terrain. The tape is for where the carabiner attaches for a 5 step aider. I'm short, 5'6", and 4 steps gets me to 20' easy.

Attachments

• Stepps1 (1).jpg
    Stepps1 (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
  • Stepps 2.jpg
    Stepps 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 75
  • Stepps 3.jpg
    Stepps 3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
Here is pic with the wire tie holding them in. Just use the molly loops and simply bend down as tight as you can just wrapping down and around back up on the outside. Have used this method at least a dozen times without any issue of them moving around while struggling through some tough terrain. The tape is for where the carabiner attaches for a 5 step aider. I'm short, 5'6", and 4 steps gets me to 20' easy.

Are you wrapping around the holster essentially pulling it towards the belt?

Yes, added to some camo silent strips to the kydex, made the stepps fit really snug. The wire pulls the top of them back towards the molly loops/belt. When climbing, the wire is off to the side and is easy to operate with one hand. I have the stepps mounted as close to my right hip as possible, can easy reach one handed to access them. Once up in the tether, it has not been in the way yet.

Gave up on the magnets. Too much weight and they were not holding like I wanted.

I used a webbing buckle I had laying around. Also going to pick up a nite ize wire and mess with that.

For attachment, I molded 4 molle clip ons. The two outer ones fit my saddle. The two in the middle work with my laser cut pals. Not sure how practical either is going to be for transport, but I figured I’d try it.

Still need to stealth strip it.

0cf8f1d3e850b9d6ba92a3c9c33f4273.jpg

5b917825798702b209e9e0a73e9373b2.jpg

Gave up on the magnets. Too much weight and they were not holding like I wanted.

I used a webbing buckle I had laying around. Also going to pick up a nite ize wire and mess with that.

For attachment, I molded 4 molle clip ons. The two outer ones fit my saddle. The two in the middle work with my laser cut pals. Not sure how practical either is going to be for transport, but I figured I’d try it.

Still need to stealth strip it.

0cf8f1d3e850b9d6ba92a3c9c33f4273.jpg

5b917825798702b209e9e0a73e9373b2.jpg

Yessir! That looks like it’ll work well. Definitely lighter than magnets!!

Back